Thread: how do you keep track of...

Post imported post

how many rounds you put down range in each firearm??

i would like to use access to keep an inventory of what ammo i have onhand and be able to go to a certain firearm, input the number of rounds put down range that day, and have it subtract from the current onhand stock, also be able to tell what brands i have on hand.

anyone have anything like this?

Post imported post

err...

Typically most buy X amount of boxes and fire what they bought. If you've stock, keep a clip board of what you take.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

warlocke wrote:

i would like to use access to keep an inventory of what ammo i have onhand and be able to go to a certain firearm, input the number of rounds put down range that day, and have it subtract from the current onhand stock, also be able to tell what brands i have on hand.

Not with access, but I do use Excel to track my inventory (by caliber, weight,
    boxes, rnds/box (bxs * rnds/box = total rnds), supplier, brand, cost/box, cost/rnd) and separately track rounds fired by each firearm.

I typically only shoot 50 rnds/wk, so it's not a big deal to update things by hand.

I haven't bothered to integrate the two functions arithmetically yet. One of these days...
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    warlocke wrote:

boxes, rnds/box (bxs * rnds/box = total rnds), supplier, brand, cost/box, cost/rnd) and separately track rounds fired by each firearm.

I haven't bothered to integrate the two functions arithmetically yet. I typically only shoot 50 rnds/wk, so it's not a big deal to update things by hand.
    would you care to share a basic template thats already set up? i for some reason, cannot figure out how i want to format such a sheet.

Post imported post

I would keep a piece of paper in your range bag and or gun safe. I think excel is an awesome idea though. 2a4all is a computer/ammo stud. With a cool avatar at that!

Post imported post

warlocke wrote:
    2a4all wrote:
    warlocke wrote:

I haven't bothered to integrate the two functions arithmetically yet. I typically only shoot 50 rnds/wk, so it's not a big deal to update things by hand.
    would you care to share a basic template thats already set up? i for some reason, cannot figure out how i want to format such a sheet.
    Here's a template (pdf file) of what I use, which may help you get started. This is NOT a working Excel file. You will need to be able to set up your own excel file.

A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

I just remember how many mags I go through. I just have a text file with all the dates, number of rounds fired, and any FTF/FTE.

Post imported post

You know, when I get time I should make some excel spreadsheets or programs. They would be useful for everyone here.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

Here's an image of a Shooting log file. (I couldn't attach more than one file to my earlier post.)

Member VCDL, NRA

Post imported post

2a4all wrote:
    warlocke wrote:

I typically only shoot 50 rnds/wk, so it's not a big deal to update things by hand.

I haven't bothered to integrate the two functions arithmetically yet. One of these days...
    It takes a few seconds to make a formula in excel.

Click on a box.

Let's say your ammo amounts are in the range of A1-A100

Type =SUM(A1:A100)

Tada!

Post imported post

Ianmtx wrote:
    2a4all wrote:
    warlocke wrote:

It takes a few seconds to make a formula in excel.

Click on a box.

Let's say your ammo amounts are in the range of A1-A100

Type =SUM(A1:A100)

Tada!
    Yeah, I know how to do that...

What I mean by "update by hand" is that I need to add a row to the Shooting Log after a trip to the range, and update (reduce) the number of boxes of ammo on hand in the Inventory separately. Similarly, when I buy new ammo, I need to perhaps add a new row to the Inventory, and/or increase the number of boxes of ammo if it's a type that I already have on hand.

Oh yeah, I if I buy a new gun, I need to add appropriate rows for that.

One of these days (when I get enough ambition) maybe I'll develop a proper data base to do all this more efficiently.

Member VCDL, NRA