• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Proposals would let licensed owners tote guns more easily

Manu

imported post

I found this on some other forum. I am not sure this was posted here somewhere or not, if it was please ignore this.

http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=15079.0

As far as I'm concerned it can stay right here! And here's the article for anyone who is link-impaired.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/6239518.html

Proposals would let licensed owners tote guns more easily

By DAVID SALEH RAUF
Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau
Jan. 30, 2009, 9:19PM

AUSTIN — Michael Guzman, a 25-year-old Texas State University senior and Marine veteran, takes his Kimber Ultra Carry II handgun just about everywhere he goes. Except to school.

Texas lawmakers, how­ever, are crafting ways to allow licensed handgun owners to tote their guns more easily. One proposal would let guns be carried on campuses, and another would allow licensed handgun owners to openly brandish their guns in public.

Together, the two issues are likely to be the most contentious gun-related laws of the session.

State Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, is preparing the campus concealed-carry gun measure. He calls it a “safety protection bill” for students and faculty.

“I don’t want to wake up one morning and hear on the news that some madman went on a Texas campus and picked off Texas students like sitting ducks,” Wentworth said. “I’m doing what I can to prevent that from happening in Texas.”

A national debate over guns on college campuses was sparked almost two years ago after the fatal shootings of 32 students at Virginia Tech.

Since then, 17 states have introduced legislation to let students and faculty pack heat on campus. None has passed.

A Texas House study conducted by the Law Enforcement Committee — which noted only 11 U.S. universities allow concealed guns on campus — recommended passing a campus gun bill.

It wouldn’t be the first time the Legislature considered an open-carry measure. In 1997 and 1999, then-state Rep. Suzanna Hupp, a Republican from Lampasas whose parents were shot and killed in the 1991 Luby’s massacre in Killeen, authored similar legislation. The bills didn’t pass.

Wild West attitude feared

Gov. Rick Perry is among those supporting the notion of letting adult students bring handguns on campus if they are licensed to carry them.

The issue has been met with opposition from gun-control advocates, university officials, campus law enforcement and some lawmakers.

Earlier this week, the University of Texas at Austin’s student government overwhelmingly passed a resolution supporting their campus gun ban and calling on “elected officials in Texas to oppose attempts to eliminate campus weapons bans.”

“I don’t want to return to a 19th-century Wild West urban atmosphere for Texas,” said state Rep. Lon Burnam, D-Fort Worth. “I oppose both concealed-carry on campus and open-carry, but psychologically open-carry is the worst by far because of the implications it has when you’re walking down the street.”

Rep. Garnet Coleman, D-Houston, said he has not seen the bills but would not be inclined to support guns on campuses. “I think it’s an issue of safety,” he said. “Will that improve or diminish the safety of students? My gut instinct is most members would say it actually diminishes the safety of faculty and staff. … They didn’t pass it before, and they don’t have as good a chance for passing it now.”

Texas State Rifle Association lobbyist Alice Tripp said the group is “not forwarding the issue.”

At present, people with handgun permits have to keep their weapons concealed.

Online push for change

Ian McCarthy, a 22-year-old online marketing entrepreneur in Austin, wants to be able to brandish one openly.

“Criminals want an easy target. When they see you can fight back, they’re going to go somewhere else,” McCarthy said.

He is a member of the national pro-gun group OpenCarry.org, which has raised more than $10,000 online to buy radio and billboard ads across the state and has collected more than 53,000 online Texas signatures in favor of changing the law.

Coleman doubts it will get the nod from fellow lawmakers.

“Open-carry, I think that for most members that would be going too far,” he said.

sirpuma

imported post

I love how the liberal democrazies say that if people are allowed to carry openly that it'll be the wild west. They clearly don't understand that the old west wasn't wild. We can OC in WA but you don't see masses of armed thugs and cops shooting it out in the streets. Only occasionally do you hear of the gang shootings. Go to LA where there are even more strict gun laws than in TX and the crime rate is way higher.

Things that make you go Hmmmmmm.

TechnoWeenie

imported post

Ian McCarthy, a 22-year-old online marketing entrepreneur in Austin, wants to be able to brandish one openly.

....and another would allow licensed handgun owners to openly brandish their guns in public.

Can someone send this supposed journalist a dictionary?

heresolong

imported post

"tote"? Who here has ever used the word "tote" in a sentence? Talk about a loaded way to discuss carrying a firearm. Princeton.edu defines tote as "to carry with difficulty, lug". Yep. No bias in this story.

Oh, and "pack heat". This guy brings up every negative way to say exercise your 2nd Amendment right to carry a firearm that you can think of.

Tawnos

imported post

heresolong wrote:
"tote"? Who here has ever used the word "tote" in a sentence?
I have and do. Sometimes even self-referentially, e.g. "I'm a gun toting crazy person, because what sane person would want to have the means by which to defend themselves?" It's not even a five dollar word. One syllable. Why wouldn't I use it?

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

While toting my spare magazines in the open the other day a lady in line asked me if I was packing heat? I adjusted myself and replied was that I was not looking for a relationship at this time.

FMCDH

imported post

M1Gunr wrote:
While toting my spare magazines in the open the other day a lady in line asked me if I was packing heat? I adjusted myself and replied was that I was not looking for a relationship at this time.
ROFL, good one Gunr!

All...

Journalists are oftentaught in a different language than the rest of us. They are taught in a way that gets the public attention (good or bad) when reading an article or noticing a newspaper at the stand. Anything and everything that stirs the emotions or makes a person stop and do a double take at a headline is all to often fair game.

It all comes down to the bottom line. Most journalistsjobs arenot definedin the tradeas that toreport astory in an accurate or responsible manner. Their jobs are to sell advertising. If you cant get people to read an editorial or rag, you cant sell advertising. If you cant sell advertising, then they don't have a job because the paper/magazine, etc. wont exist long. Thesemedia company's don't make moneyfrom selling subscriptions anymore, soanything to keep the people gasping and reading and buying, thats the game.

Machoduck

imported post

sv_libertarian wrote:
This doesn't seem to have anything to do with Washington...
So what? It has to do with open carry in one of the few states that don't allow OC. More importantly, it has to do with the thinking that the other side exhibits. We all need to keep up with the methods they use batter common sense. I'm glad to see people writing about the term "packing heat", which is code-word that liberals use to identify themselves to each other.

MD

Washintonian_For_Liberty

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:

....and another would allow licensed handgun owners to openly brandish their guns in public.

Can someone send this supposed journalist a dictionary?

His use of the term 'Brandish' isn't a mistake. It is a purposeful use of a term to demonize OC'ers. He's trying to make all OC'ers seem like they're schoolyard bullies who want to threaten everyone who looks at them crosseyed.

Democrats and Liberals cannot win an argument unless they lie. Hence, every word they utter happens to be lies.

jbone

imported post

Manu wrote:
would allow licensed handgun owners to openly brandish their guns in public.

They're already doomed, thier using the BRANDISH word. Is'ntthat the word so many anti's label as bad.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

The story applies to Texas, not Washington.
As it has been pointed out numerous times this started in TX. However last summer we had our own empty holster protest here in Washington. I would venture a guess that not many of the new members even know it happened. Some folks do not look at the other forums much less the main forum and once in a while information like this is useful in our forum because of the content.

How is it that I am allowed to carry on campus and someone who is a student is not? If the student is over 21 and passes all the requirements to get a CC permit they should be allowed to carry, NO MATTER what state they are in.

FYI - I got written up by HR for wearing a empty holster at work for 4 days in support of the protest.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

Manu wrote:
I have figured out too the link is dead. but it is still available at second link mentioned in the OP. there contact email is also listed fro author of that article.

[url]http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/index.php?topic=15079.0[/url]
The Houston Cronicle seems to have no idea who the guy is in my search. The link you mention is just a repeat of the above.