• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Utah CFP Questions

bobcat

imported post

I'm on the path of getting my Utah CFP. I already have an Indiana LTCH, so I don't anticipate any issues getting 'approved'.

I'm looking for the Utah code that spells out whatconstitutes acceptable 'training qualifications' for the CFP application. Utah BCI has a nice site but no info, at least that I found, on anything other than approved trainers, FAQ's, etc.

I have a mixed bag of training under my belt and before I plunked down the time and money for a 4-5 hr 'lecture' on gun safety, I wanted to check. I did find the Utah code, but it's in WordPerfect Zip files. That's no good as I don't have WP nor do I know anyone who does.

A little guideance please.

Thanks in advance.

Kevin Jensen

State Researcher
imported post

You could have the training equivalent of Chuck Norris, and it would not matter.

Utah law requires anyone that is interested in a permit to attend and complete a four hour course by an approved instructor. The reason is because the Utah permit coursefocuses mainly on the topic that you probably have not studied, Utah's law that govern the use of deadly force.

53-5-704. Division duties -- Permit to carry concealed firearm -- Certification for concealed firearms instructor -- Requirements for issuance -- Violation -- Denial, suspension, or revocation -- Appeal procedure.
(1) (a) The division or its designated agent shall issue a permit to carry a concealed firearm for lawful self defense to an applicant who is 21 years of age or older within 60 days after receiving an application, unless during the 60-day period the division finds proof that the applicant is not of good character.
(b) The permit is valid throughout the state for five years, without restriction, except as otherwise provided by Section 53-5-710.
(2) (a) An applicant satisfactorily demonstrates good character if the applicant:
(i) has not been convicted of a felony;
(ii) has not been convicted of a crime of violence;
(iii) has not been convicted of an offense involving the use of alcohol;
(iv) has not been convicted of an offense involving the unlawful use of narcotics or other controlled substances;
(v) has not been convicted of an offense involving moral turpitude;
(vi) has not been convicted of an offense involving domestic violence;
(vii) has not been adjudicated by a state or federal court as mentally incompetent, unless the adjudication has been withdrawn or reversed; and
(viii) is qualified to purchase and possess a firearm pursuant to Section 76-10-503 and federal law.
(b) In assessing good character under Subsection (2)(a), the licensing authority shall consider mitigating circumstances.
(3) (a) The division may deny, suspend, or revoke a concealed firearm permit if it has reasonable cause to believe that the applicant has been or is a danger to self or others as demonstrated by evidence, including:
(i) past pattern of behavior involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence;
(ii) past participation in incidents involving unlawful violence or threats of unlawful violence; or
(iii) conviction of an offense in violation of Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 5, Weapons.
(b) The division may not deny, suspend, or revoke a concealed firearm permit solely for a single conviction for an infraction violation of Title 76, Chapter 10, Part 5, Weapons.
(c) In determining whether the applicant has been or is a danger to self or others, the division may inspect:
(i) expunged records of arrests and convictions of adults as provided in Section 77-18-15; and
(ii) juvenile court records as provided in Section 78A-6-209.
(d) (i) If a person granted a permit under this part has been charged with a crime of violence in any state, the division shall suspend the permit.
(ii) Upon notice of the acquittal of the person charged, or notice of the charges having been dropped, the division shall immediately reinstate the suspended permit.
(4) A former peace officer who departs full-time employment as a peace officer, in an honorable manner, shall be issued a concealed firearm permit within five years of that departure if the officer meets the requirements of this section.
(5) Except as provided in Subsection (6), the licensing authority shall also require the

applicant to provide:
(a) the address of the applicant's permanent residence;
(b) one recent dated photograph;
(c) one set of fingerprints; and
(d) evidence of general familiarity with the types of firearms to be concealed as defined in Subsection (7).
(6) An applicant who is a law enforcement officer under Section 53-13-103 may provide a letter of good standing from the officer's commanding officer in place of the evidence required by Subsection (5)(d).
(7) (a) General familiarity with the types of firearms to be concealed includes training in:
(i) the safe loading, unloading, storage, and carrying of the types of firearms to be concealed; and
(ii) current laws defining lawful use of a firearm by a private citizen, including lawful self-defense, use of force by a private citizen, including use of deadly force, transportation, and concealment.
(b) Evidence of general familiarity with the types of firearms to be concealed may be satisfied by one of the following:
(i) completion of a course of instruction conducted by a national, state, or local firearms training organization approved by the division;
(ii) certification of general familiarity by a person who has been certified by the division, which may include a law enforcement officer, military or civilian firearms instructor, or hunter safety instructor; or
(iii) equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in an organized shooting competition, law enforcement, or military service.
(c) Instruction taken by a student under Subsection (7)(b) shall be in person and not through electronic means.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

SGT Jensen wrote:
Utah law requires anyone that is interested in a permit to attend and complete a four hour course by an approved instructor.
The 4 hour minimum requirement is gone. As long as you cover all of the material, it doesnt matter if it takes you 2 hours or 2 days. 4 hours is a "suggested" timeframe.

bobcat

imported post

Thanks gents.

Yep, SgtJensen, it looks like 53-5-704.(7) (a) (ii) is what would nail me. I've got everything else covered in spades as I have even been certified as an NRA pistol instructor. Oh, well. It was worth the ask.

Looking at a couple of course outlines, it appears fairly rudimentary and is a bit aggravating for someone with 20+ years experience carrying with no negative report to have to go through.

OTH, it's Utah's game and those are the rules if one desires to participate. I can alwayslearn, certainly the section on Utah law would be all new. Just hate to have to pay fora 'basic' type course that I took years ago and even taught locally, but I'll do 'er.;)

Any recommendations for Indiana? Indianapolis area?

bobcat

imported post

Just one.... GIT ER DONE before someone changes the law and MAKES YOU COME TO UTAH TO GET THE COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signed up for nextweek in Indy. Soonest possible date available. Yup, I'm aware of the legislation floating through right now in UT. Hope that doesn't go through and impact what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm on it.

Thanks for the heads up, JoeSparky

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

bobcat wrote:
Just one.... GIT ER DONE before someone changes the law and MAKES YOU COME TO UTAH TO GET THE COURSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Signed up for nextweek in Indy. Soonest possible date available. Yup, I'm aware of the legislation floating through right now in UT. Hope that doesn't go through and impact what I'm trying to accomplish.

I'm on it.

Thanks for the heads up, JoeSparky
Looks like HB204 has been substituted and the new version has removed the state resident requirement for instructors.

rpyne

imported post

IMHO, the substitute is a much better solution. It puts in place a complaint handling process with penalties for both failing to comply with the course requirements and for filing a false complaint.

calmp9

imported post

bobcat wrote:
Thanks gents.

Yep, SgtJensen, it looks like 53-5-704.(7) (a) (ii) is what would nail me. I've got everything else covered in spades as I have even been certified as an NRA pistol instructor. Oh, well. It was worth the ask.

Looking at a couple of course outlines, it appears fairly rudimentary and is a bit aggravating for someone with 20+ years experience carrying with no negative report to have to go through.

OTH, it's Utah's game and those are the rules if one desires to participate. I can alwayslearn, certainly the section on Utah law would be all new. Just hate to have to pay fora 'basic' type course that I took years ago and even taught locally, but I'll do 'er.;)

Any recommendations for Indiana? Indianapolis area?
I can understand some of your argument, but the fact of the matter is that Utah BCI doesn't know who you are. They don't know you from Adam. Luckily in my case, I was taking the Nevada nonresident CCW class and the instructor happened to be a licensed Utah instructor. For $15 more, he signed my Utah application. The class took a little longer because he had to go over some Utah specific things, but it wasn't bad.