• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Public hearing 2/24 connecticut

peterkuck

imported post

H.B. No. 6457 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE REGULATION OF FIREARMS AND THE LICENSING OF BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENTS, PROFESSIONAL BONDSMEN AND SURETY BAIL BOND AGENTS
To require gun show promoters to notify the Commissioner of Public Safety of any planned gun show; to mandate annual firearms safety refresher courses for bail enforcement agents, professional bondsmen and surety bail bond agents; to require that certain firearms and criminal justice course instructors be approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety; to provide an exemption to the offenses of selling, carrying or brandishing a facsimile firearm for a participant in a state-certified qualified production; to change the blood alcohol limit for the offense of carrying a firearm while intoxicated to achieve parity with the level for the offense of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated; and to require the concealment of a pistol or revolver when carried upon the person, with certain exemptions. OPPOSE the provision on Concealed Carry.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

peterkuck wrote:
http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/cgabillst...illType=Bill&bill_num=HB06457&which_year=2009 to provide an exemption to the offenses of selling, carrying or brandishing a facsimile firearm for a participant in a state-certified qualified production;
Well this doesn't go nearly far enough, exempt for everything if it isn't a gun!!

Does anyone think that this would save that JUSMC drill team women, after all
school is a state recognized event, heck it is mandated.
But I'll bet they would still yell, "stick" it could have been a gun in a previous life.

Why aren't government official required to have annual retraining also?

romma

imported post

Code:
Should we show up to this event?

I think that it would be a great idea. If time is allowed for comments, do we say anything? If so, we should make sure we are on point.

Consider the following please:

Do we let them know that we are a group in it's formation that will have a Statewide reach when wecompletely emerge?

Shouldwe should consider getting on the same page as all of our members as to how to deliver our message in these types of public forums?

What do you think uskrusader? What does anyone else think?

Should we email the whole group with this and these ideas?

uskrusader

imported post

This is kinda tough, short notice and all.

We are still very small, unorganized.

Perhaps something....anything is better than nothing. If this is for the public, perhapsour focusshould be to motivate others to attend....available to comment if possible.

Facebook provides another medium to get this message out. But I'm not sure what to post.

romma

imported post

agreed uskrusader, maybe others will offer input.

At this point I want to serve my fellow gun owner in best, smartest and effective way possible.

romma

imported post

:idea: Maybe if one or two of us were willing to show up to report back... I was thinking maybe keep the group thinganonymous until we are completely ready...

But at least we would have a commited presence there.

And if someone from our groupdid have a chance to speak, maybe speak for themselves and not the group?Just throwing ideas around here...

peterkuck

imported post

Show up as individuals. That is your right. You will need to get there early to sign up to speak. Be prepared to stay late.

romma

imported post

Okay, thanks Peter, at some point maybe we can have a group spokesperson or persons.

Will try to make it. This stuff could be tough going for me with work, but I will try.

Protector

imported post

I doubt I would be able to make it, I may have to work that night. However I think someone should go, if for no other reason than to inform the rest of us about the hearing. I also think it is too early for anyone to speak on the behalf of the group. We have just started organizing, I think before any public statements are made us, or on our behalf we should be more organized.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

I will be there and intend to speak during public comment. As far as not letting "them" know about the group it's too late because this forum is open to the public to view. Here is info I pasted from http://www.cga.ct.gov/asp/content/yourvoice.asp

[align=center]WHEN YOU COME TO TESTIFY
Read the legislative bulletin for the particular information on the sign-up process, for that day. The sign up sheet has space to print your name legibly, the bill(s) you are speaking on, and sometimes, whether you are for or against the bill. Sign up sheets are usually in place one hour before the hearing. [/align]
After signing up, you may be seated in the hearing room, or look around the building until the hearing begins. It is a good idea to read the bill before you speak, to be sure you understand it.

HEARING PROCEDURES
Speaking Order: One of the committee's co-chairpersons will preside over the hearing, setting rules that seem fair for the circumstances and calling speakers from the signup sheets. At many, but not all hearings, the first hour is reserved for legislators and agency heads or invited guests. Remaining speakers are usually called in the order in which their names appear on the signup sheet, although some chairpersons alternate between supporters and opponents of a bill. Chairpersons often ask large groups to appoint a single spokesperson. Some committees hear all testimony on one bill before proceeding to the next, following the agenda printed in the bulletin.

Comings and Goings: Some hearings last for several hours. Legislators may leave and reenter the room if they are scheduled for more than one hearing or meeting. But all testimony is recorded so they can read it later.

[align=center]YOUR TURN AT THE MICROPHONE
When you are called, sit at the speaker's desk. You may begin with "Madam Chair, Mr. Chairman" (as appropriate) "and members of the committee." Introduce yourself very distinctly so the transcriber can understand, and mention your town and the number and title of the bill you'll be speaking on. In addition, most hearings and meetings are covered by Connecticut Network (CT-N) for broadcast over local cable access stations. [/align]
Indicate right away whether you support the bill, oppose it, or are offering suggestions to improve it. Then explain your reasoning. Follow this procedure for each bill you discuss.

Keep your remarks short; 3-5 minutes is usually enough, but be sure not to exceed any announced time limits. If other speakers have already made your point, you can say that you agree with, or want to associate yourself with the remarks of one or more previous speakers. Your views and your name will then be clearly on record.

When you finish, remain at the microphone for a moment, in case committee members want to ask questions. Then return to your seat or leave the hearing, as you wish

romma

imported post

Code:
I will be there and intend to speak during public comment. As far as not letting "them" know about the group it's too late because this forum is open to the public to view.

True it is open to public view, we are not obligated to make a point of it if we choose to speak. However we are individuals...

I do believe though that it is a great opportunity to learn how this behind the scenestuff works.

peterkuck

imported post

Firearm bills under consideration in CT

1. AN ACT CONCERNING FINGERPRINT COLLECTION BY MUNICIPAL AND STATE POLICE. — • Bill Status — To prohibit police departments from refusing to fingerprint a person based upon such person's residence.
  2. AN ACT CONCERNING THE REGULATION OF THE SALE OF LONG GUNS. — • Bill Status — To subject long guns to permit requirements and to require a criminal background check of the purchaser of a long gun prior to such purchase.
  3. AN ACT CONCERNING THE USE OF DEADLY PHYSICAL FORCE IN DEFENSE OF A PERSON. — • Bill Status — To adopt a "Stand Your Ground" law by deleting the requirement that a person retreat before using deadly physical force in certain circumstances to defend himself or herself or a third person.
  4. AN ACT PROHIBITING THE POSSESSION OR FIRING OF ASSAULT WEAPONS OR MACHINE GUNS BY MINORS. — • Bill Status — To improve public safety.
  5. AN ACT CONCERNING THE MICROSTAMPING OF SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOLS. — • Bill Status — To facilitate the linking of used cartridge cases to the firearm that fired them by requiring the microstamping of semiautomatic pistols. See bill 607 below regarding past testimony video. Microstamping failed then.
  6. AN ACT PROHIBITING MUNICIPAL REGULATION OF FIREARMS. — • Bill Status — To prohibit local regulation of firearms.
  7. AN ACT CONCERNING THE REGULATION OF FIREARMS AND THE LICENSING OF BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENTS, PROFESSIONAL BONDSMEN AND SURETY BAIL BOND AGENTS. — • Bill Status — To require gun show promoters to notify the Commissioner of Public Safety of any planned gun show; to mandate annual firearms safety refresher courses for bail enforcement agents, professional bondsmen and surety bail bond agents; to require that certain firearms and criminal justice course instructors be approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety; to provide an exemption to the offenses of selling, carrying or brandishing a facsimile firearm for a participant in a state-certified qualified production; to change the blood alcohol limit for the offense of carrying a firearm while intoxicated to achieve parity with the level for the offense of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated; and to require the concealment of a pistol or revolver when carried upon the person, with certain exemptions.
  8. [url=">— •

peterkuck

imported post

Committees

1. Public Safety and Security Committee
  2. Judiciary Committee

Board of Firearms Permit Examiners

1. The Board of Firearm Permit Examiners is recommended for consolidation with the Department of Public Safety in the Governor’s budget as part of her proposal to streamline state government. — See page 6 — The Board of Firearms Permit Examiners was created as the Board of Permit Examiners by Public Act No. 633 of the 1967 General Assembly.
  2. AN ACT CONCERNING REVIEW AND TERMINATION OF CERTAIN BOARDS AND COMMISSIONS. "Bill to terminate BFPE" — • Bill Status — See line 221 through 225 for termination.

Past bills and other info

1. Bill 607 - AN ACT CONCERNING THE IDENTIFICATION OF CERTAIN FIREARMS AND THE CRIMINAL POSSESSION OF FIREARMS. — • Bill Status — To facilitate the linking of used cartridge cases to the firearm that fired them by requiring the microstamping of semiautomatic pistols and to make all the disqualifiers for the possession of a handgun applicable to the possession of a long gun.
  2. VIDEO of the Judiciary Committe Hearings held on Match 17, 2008 at the State Capitol on the "Microstamping" and "Coding of Ammuntion Bills" A very good video of testimony including members of the firearms industry and Police Forenics — testimony is at 1:11:49 (time on counter). You can fast foward to the time by moving thecapsule in the center and then fast fowarding or rewinding. Carolton Chen a VP at Colt gives testimony at 7:46:39

uskrusader

imported post

peterkuck wrote:
Firearm bills under consideration in CT

1. AN ACT CONCERNING FINGERPRINT COLLECTION BY MUNICIPAL AND STATE POLICE. — • Bill Status — To prohibit police departments from refusing to fingerprint a person based upon such person's residence.
  2. AN ACT CONCERNING THE REGULATION OF THE SALE OF LONG GUNS. — • Bill Status — To subject long guns to permit requirements and to require a criminal background check of the purchaser of a long gun prior to such purchase.
  3. AN ACT CONCERNING THE USE OF DEADLY PHYSICAL FORCE IN DEFENSE OF A PERSON. — • Bill Status — To adopt a "Stand Your Ground" law by deleting the requirement that a person retreat before using deadly physical force in certain circumstances to defend himself or herself or a third person.
  4. AN ACT PROHIBITING THE POSSESSION OR FIRING OF ASSAULT WEAPONS OR MACHINE GUNS BY MINORS. — • Bill Status — To improve public safety.
  5. AN ACT CONCERNING THE MICROSTAMPING OF SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOLS. — • Bill Status — To facilitate the linking of used cartridge cases to the firearm that fired them by requiring the microstamping of semiautomatic pistols. See bill 607 below regarding past testimony video. Microstamping failed then.
  6. AN ACT PROHIBITING MUNICIPAL REGULATION OF FIREARMS. — • Bill Status — To prohibit local regulation of firearms.
  7. AN ACT CONCERNING THE REGULATION OF FIREARMS AND THE LICENSING OF BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENTS, PROFESSIONAL BONDSMEN AND SURETY BAIL BOND AGENTS. — • Bill Status — To require gun show promoters to notify the Commissioner of Public Safety of any planned gun show; to mandate annual firearms safety refresher courses for bail enforcement agents, professional bondsmen and surety bail bond agents; to require that certain firearms and criminal justice course instructors be approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety; to provide an exemption to the offenses of selling, carrying or brandishing a facsimile firearm for a participant in a state-certified qualified production; to change the blood alcohol limit for the offense of carrying a firearm while intoxicated to achieve parity with the level for the offense of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated; and to require the concealment of a pistol or revolver when carried upon the person, with certain exemptions.
  8. [url=">— •
I just copied and pasted this into the facebook group, great info for those who don't visit this OC.org.