• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

18 year old possession and open carry of hangun?

2fast4ya

imported post

Is it legal to first own a handgun at the age of 18? Secondly is it legal to open carry said firearm. I am having a debate with all of my coworkers and for the life of me cannot find the sources I am looking for to back up my claim. Any direction via links would be great thanks in advance. As anyone could gather from the location of this thread I am asking about Virginia specifically.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

2fast4ya wrote:
Is it legal to first own a handgun at the age of 18? Secondly is it legal to open carry said firearm. I am having a debate with all of my coworkers and for the life of me cannot find the sources I am looking for to back up my claim. Any direction via links would be great thanks in advance. As anyone could gather from the location of this thread I am asking about Virginia specifically.

Yes, and yes...both are legal. My coffee intake hasnt jump started my google-fu yet. I'm sure someone will throw the statute out shortly.

OC is the only option since you cant get a CHP until you are 21.

2fast4ya

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
2fast4ya wrote:

Yes, and yes...both are legal. My coffee intake hasnt jump started my google-fu yet. I'm sure someone will throw the statute out shortly.

Thank you very much please if you do intake enough coffee and can throw me a few links it would be greatly appreciated. I enjoy enlightening folks of their rights any chance I can.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
2fast4ya wrote:

Cannot buy a handgun from FFL until 21 yo but can purchase from private party or be gifted by family member.

OC at 18 is legal. Start here and follow links: http://www.opencarry.org/va.html

BTW - welcome aboard. You might be interested in attending our regular OC dinners (2nd Tues. ea. month) Great conversations and pointers. Look for posting about a week or so in advance.

Yata hey

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

2fast4ya wrote:
That links didn't work. I will try and backtrack through the site to find it.
Don't know why linky broky - but to redirect you - click on "Maps" on top left of this page, then click on Virginia image and follow the appropriate links to all you want to know.

Yata hey

P.S. Fixed link.

2fast4ya

imported post

Now this idiot I work with says he thinks these rules pertain to shotguns and rifles not handguns because it doesn't say handgun. Im working with a genius here.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

2fast4ya wrote:
Now this idiot I work with says he thinks these rules pertain to shotguns and rifles not handguns because it doesn't say handgun. Im working with a genius here.
Are these your questions or your coworker's/friends? The state statutes are linked and the are NOT ambiguous - they are very specific.

If they refer to guns = all guns: long guns, pistols, revolvers.

When they refer otherwise, it is very clearly so stated.

CHP = concealed handgun permit.

Generically handgun and pistol are often used interchangeably.

BTW - you can lead them to water but you can't make them drink. The nectar of truth should not be difficult to swallow.

If this is indeed a valid posting, then the first thing you need to do is read up on the subject i.e. laws etc. so as to be personally cognizant. Never depend on what someone else tells you. Then and only then will you be equipped to respond to others.

Yata hey

wylde007

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
BTW - you can lead them to water but you can't make them drink. The nectar of truth should not be difficult to swallow.
It seems to have a bitter taste to some.

I have never noticed, as the truth is all I know... so far as the 2nd is concerned!:D

2fast4ya

imported post

Thanks Grapeshot. I believe this may be a person I cannot sway and that the 4 other people at work who agree with him will be set in their ways. I try and read up everything I can as to be able and provide answers to both pro and anti gun friends I have. Thanks for the warm reception to this site. I suppose I will have to quit lurking and become a more active member.

wylde007

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
Correction: the handgun can be gifted by ANYONE who is a same state resident. Anyone with a different state of residency CANNOT gift the handgun, including family, because it would have to pass through an FFL.
Person-to-person sales and transfers cannot be regulated and the government has no jurisdiction over transfers of private property.

The fact of the matter is that I could buy a gun, drive to North Carolina and give or sell it to another person, same as if I sold him a car.

leprechaun117

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
NavyLT wrote:
Correction: the handgun can be gifted by ANYONE who is a same state resident.  Anyone with a different state of residency CANNOT gift the handgun, including family, because it would have to pass through an FFL.
Person-to-person sales and transfers cannot be regulated and the government has no jurisdiction over transfers of private property.

The fact of the matter is that I could buy a gun, drive to North Carolina and give or sell it to another person, same as if I sold him a car.

Be careful with that... I know some states (california come to mind) have laws that make receiving a gun from anyone other than an FFL illegal. Don't have a cite, I'm on a blackberry, sorry.

Navy beat me to it...

Think of it this way... Federal/state laws make rules for who can own/possess a firearm. There are no laws as to who can own a car. They can control your legal abilty to drive, but not to own it.

wylde007

imported post

Thank the Lord I don't fear my government the way you do on the Left Coast.

Even though it is a violation of the 2nd Amendment for them to legislate on the subject, I believe a substantial and considerable defense for my position comes from Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44, § 922(a)(5)(A) and (B).

(a) It shall be unlawful -

(5) for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to
(A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest* of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and​
(B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;

* bequest, in this use is probably intended to infer inheritance or transference from an estate by will.

On the other hand, I could simply "visit" a friend and "forget" my firearm at his home. There would be no need to "test" these laws if the majority of the sheep in this country would wake up and realize that they have no Constitutional standing whatsoever.

leprechaun117 wrote:
Be careful with that... I know some states (california come to mind) have laws that make receiving a gun from anyone other than an FFL illegal. Don't have a cite, I'm on a blackberry, sorry.
I have no interest in Kommiefornia and, personally, would not be terribly put-off if the whole state slid into the ocean.