• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a good range to shoot at.

FLR&@

imported post

As some of you know I just moved back from Las Vegas and I am asking for some suggestions on a range to join close to Milwaukee. I would like one that will allow me to draw from a holster, will allow some rapid fire and most important not a lengthy waiting list. I am basically looking for a Mc. Miller type place minus a few rules.

Thank you for your input.

Francois L Ross

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

I like Shooter's Shop in West Allis. I'm not sure about the holster draw, though.

I know first hand that Fletcher Arms in Waukesha does NOT allow holster draw, I got spoken to about that already. :p

Rick Finsta

imported post

I don't know of any range in the area that "allows" holster draw, but I often do this at the Saukville Gun club when I've got the range to myself. I don't know of any places that "allow" rapid fire, either, but mostly if you're not an idiot and you look like you know what you're doing, I haven't seen anyone get hassled, so you will probably be fine.

smithman

imported post

Johnny Stiletto wrote:
I know first hand that Fletcher Arms in Waukesha does NOT allow holster draw, I got spoken to about that already. :p
It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I have never asked there about holster draw. I do holster draw there but pick a lane where the view from the counter is obstructed.

Johnny Stiletto

imported post

smithman wrote:
It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission. I have never asked there about holster draw. I do holster draw there but pick a lane where the view from the counter is obstructed.
I took a much less veiled approach than that. I was freely walking around the range with my gun in my holster. Next thing I knew I was getting a tap on my shoulder. Oops.

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

I don't know of any places that "allow" rapid fire, either, but mostly if you're not an idiot and you look like you know what you're doing,

I don't want to say the name of the range because its not their fault but I was at a local range last week and I swear every ghetto-gansta-wanna-be in the county was there.

I occasionally practice 2-in-the-heart 1-in-the-head in quick sequence, but there were people there just EMPTYING a magazine in rapid succession. I felt like I was shooting with Plaxico Burress. At least they went through their ammo quickly and were gone in 15 minutes having "blown their wad" no pun intended.

It was all I could do not to walk over and say "ok boys... point aim THEN fire" But whatever.

Ranges I frequent are Badger Arms and The Shooter Shop. The Shooter Shop is a nice range, though last saturday they had a couple of lanes down and one of the lanes the target carriage wouldn't go all the way down range. Another lane the target clip didn't pinch well and would drop targets unless you stuffed cardboard in the clamp too. SO of the 6 lanes, only 3 were in good working order. They may have them fixed by now.

The Shooters Shop has like 6 lanes 50 ft

Badger Arms has 75 feet. More lanes, and they give you a 'frequent shooter' card that they punch every time you come shooting. Your sixth time is free or something like that. For as much as I shoot, it saves me a couple bucks that I can put towards ammo.In the summer its F'ing HOT AS SHIT in their range cause its not air-conditioned, but in the winter its nice in there.

Both places are $15 bucks. The Shooters Shop says $15 bucks for an hour, Badger Arms has told me $15 bucks for as long as you want. I don't know what the official policy is, but I think if they aren't busy, they'll let you stay on the range as long as you want (within reason) until they need the space. Saturday afternoons both places are pretty busy, you might have to wait. I think the Shooters shop range is open later on Saturdays than Badger Arms. Friday evenings are usually pretty open. I know The Shooters Shop lets me shoot my .50 Mag, I'm not positive if Badger would.

I'll probably be at the range atBadger arms tonight at 6-ish (unless they are full) then I'll head over to the shooters shop.

FLR&@

imported post

Hugh –

I was at that same range yesterday it was frightening, unsafe and exactly what I would like to avoid. I am disgusted to say the least, and I am tempted to name that range as a matter of safety and principal.A few of the things I saw were guys shooting gangster style most/ all of them totally disregarding basic firearm handling rules, loaded guns coming out of the lanes, several people were obviously stoned and wreaked of marijuana, and one kid put a loaded gun in his waist and walked off the range. The funny part was when one of them started giving this girl pointers on how to shoot, however the reassuring part is knowing that none of these guys could hit a city bus from 10 feet away. They desperately need to hire a range master for the busy times before someone is hurt or killed. FYI- I was told the best times to frequent that range are early Monday- Wednesday. But I will be trying the shooters shop next week some time.

Everyone-

Instead of rapid fire I should have said 3 fast shots. And dose anyone have any experience with the Daniel Boon club?

Thank you everyone for your advice..

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

The funny part was when one of them started giving this girl pointers on how to shoot, however the reassuring part is knowing that none of these guys could hit a city bus from 10 feet away.

Yeah, unfortunately they'll hit 'something'.

But you are right. The guy in the lane next to me put his human silouette target about 10 feet down the lane and just unloaded on it. He was all over his target. I didn't look over, but he might have been shooting palm down gansta-style. :banghead:

I made a point of dropping my target to the back of the range, (50ft)taking only 2 shots with plain iron sights with my G23, placing them both in red-quarter size bullseye and bringing the target back to me. I thought maybe he might get the idea to actually try to aim his gun, but it didn't work.

It wouldn't have been so bad but he was right next to the wall and the pressure wave from each shot coming at me from the side made me think I was at the eye doctor getting a glaucoma test about 50 times in a row.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

I don't know what you consider "close to Milwaukee" but I do the majority of my shooting at Deerfield Pistol, which would be probably an hour's drive for you-- 15 minutes for me.

Holster draw is fine. Rapid fire is not fine, although if they're familiar with you and you're competent, I don't think they'll mind. 2-3 rounds burst is OK. Fanning the trigger to empty a 30 round magazine will probably not be OK. Anything that fires a pistol caliber round is ok, so if you have a 9mm AR, for example, that is acceptable. Shotguns are ok, except for slugs.

Wednesday nights they have Civilian Combat League level I and level II leagues. You'll have to complete level I and demonstrate sufficient competence to be offered the opportunity to shoot in level II. A level III league is in the works. In the league we shoot while moving forward, backward, laterally. We shoot in low-light and even no light. We shoot from behind barricades, kneeling, from your back from your belly. We shoot multiple targets, hostage situations, malfunction drills and practice weapon retention techniques. Lately kicks and other strikes have been getting greater emphasis. Last week we started falls and ground fighting techniques and weapons retention from the ground. Occasionally we are put in a shoot/don't shoot situation with a Simunitions-loaded Glock. Afterwards, if you're questioned by police, just as you would be after an actual incident. Legal aspects of self-defense are also covered at times. It's not unusual to have guest speakers or instructors in to demonstrate and discuss various things. We make critiuques of carry methods, holsters, and other equipment. Most of the employees and much of the clientele are law enforcement. I am not aware of any other place in Wisconsin where SWAT LEO's and police trainers are willing to share their knowledge with civilians. So, if your interest goes beyond just being able to launch bullets downrange, it's worth consideration. It's not cheap, but over time it provides about as well-rounded combat shooting training as one can get as a civilian in Wisconsin. Emphasis in the league is not so much on competition as it is on learning new skills and honing the one's you already have.

Otherwise, just to use the range outside of a league is $15 an hour. Oh, there's also a law enforcement and EMS store so you can get all the fun stuff: uniforms, batons, holsters, handcuffs, pepperspray, tactical lights, BDU's, even fingerprint powder. Plus there's a gunshop.

Drug-store cowboys and wannabe's are quickly filtered out there, so most people are pretty serious shooters.

FLR&@

imported post

hugh jarmis wrote:
I made a point of dropping my target to the back of the range, (50ft)taking only 2 shots with plain iron sights with my G23, placing them both in red-quarter size bullseye and bringing the target back to me. I thought maybe he might get the idea to actually try to aim his gun, but it didn't work.

Tried the same thing to get the point across to the guy next to me. Didnotwork.

Shotgun-

I almost (I said almost) wish you wouldn’t have said anything, now I know what I am missing. The CCL classes are something I would love to do but at @85 miles each way. Do they ever concentrate those into a weekend or a few days?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

The Civilian Combat Leagues are only on Wednesday nights, but I do know that on some weekends there are IDPA (I think) type events. Anyone is welcome. I've not done that because my interest pretty narrowly in combat shooting and not competitive or sport shooting. I know there are at times some bowling pin shoots too. Check the schedule for weekend activities - better yet, call, because the website isn't necessarily giving the most up-to-date information.

http://www.deerfieldpistol.com

Rick Finsta

imported post

My friend from Jackson is a member at Daniel Boone, and while the facilities are nice, other than the deer run shoots they are pretty much a bunch of Fudds, so scary looking rifles would probablyspook many of the members (my buddy said there are really two factions of members, those who don't like EBRs and those who love them. My firend is on of the latter).

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I don't mean to high jack the thread or anything but are there any ranges around milwaukee that allow those over 18 but under 21 to shoot pistols at? Some are under the assumprion that you can't even possess a pistol if your under 21 and above 18.

Ben

FLR&@

imported post

I have been to Badger four times and have never seen them ask anyone for ID, but that is just my expearance.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I went to Badger to buy a gun and he asked me if I had any guns, and I gave him a list of my guns, I also told him that I shott a Glock 22 alott and he says, do you have your parents with you when you shoot it? I say no...... he says that you must have your guardian with you when shooting a pistol even if you are over 18, I'm like wtf are you talking about, even in the DNR regs it only pertains to those under 18, and the only federal firearm law that would apply to me is buying a handgun from a FFL liscensed dealer, I just shook him off and said whatever and bought my gun, but I want to find a place around here to shoot so I don't have to go up north everytime.

Ben

hugh jarmis

Centurion
imported post

Ok so I'll speak freely. Badger guns is ghetto.

I shoot every week. Never have a problem at the shooters shop. Everytime I go to Badger guns. Its ghetto. They treat you like you are ghetto.

I come in with my PELLET gun in a case to shoot "they want to see it" I bring my 500 magnum, they want to charge me $5 extra per hour for the "hi-power range". I tell them I won't shoot he 500 they say "ok leave it with us" (sorry boys, my guns don't leave my sight)

I forget my shooting spec's... You have to buy a pair. (shooters shop will give youclearsfor nothing)

Badger Guns is ghetto. Stick to The Shooter's Shop, Fletcher or the range in M. Falls.

BJA

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Dam it kind of sucks that many places open up so late! I'd love to wake up early head on over and shoot before work, (I start work at noon) I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning!

Ben