• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question About OC and driving...

Tippman9

imported post

I have seen this topic discussed elsewhere, but generally it has been in reference to other states.

I wear my pistol on my right hip, so when I sit in the car the pistol will be mostly obscured by my body if I am approached at the drivers window. Is this ok? or will it be considered concealed carry?

Its my opinion that since I am not making an effort to conceal it and since if I were in a standing position it would be completely visible it will be ok.

Thanks for you help.

-DP

partemisio

imported post

The officers around me are told open means it must be clearly visible wherever you are. There is no definition in the law though.

It is basically up to the officer if he/she thinks it is open or concealed. If they think it is concealed you will have to fight it in court.

BRobb19

NEAR Chapel Hill/Durham, North Carolina, USA
imported post

If I were in your shoes, and got pulled over, I would remove my sidearm and holster from my hip and place it atop my dashboard as I was pulling to the side of the road. That way there is no question about whether it is "plainly visible" or "concealed" or whatever else.

I went and got my CCH Permit last year, so I dont have to worry about that kind of thing, praise Allah.

:):):)

JDriver1.8t

imported post

I carry a cheap nylon holster for that reason exactly. For short trips I keep in on my side, for long trips I unholster.

If I plan on driving a long distance by myself, this is what I do:

DSC03047.jpg

BRobb19

BRobb19

imported post

Johnston-Wake COPTF wrote:
No offesne, but you must not have read it correctly. This is the link regarding alcohol etc... http://ncopc.org/pdf/Amend_14-269.3.pdf got here and read. The added provision will allow the carry of firearms in an establishment so long as the carrier is not drinking.

There we go! That's an entirely different link than the first one that you gave. :)

Fahrenheit

imported post

JDriver1.8t wrote:
OC is legal, so you can carry as you like.

If they are serving alcohol atthe reception, then you can't carry (if you are going).
If they are SELLING alcohol for purposes of consumption at the reception, then you can't carry.

If the reception is at a private location, where previously-purchased alcohol is being consumed, but not sold, then you can carry, unless the location is off-limits for some other reason.

e.g. the reception is at a restaurant, and the restaurant sells alcohol for consumption, then you can't carry - even if the wedding party has rented the entire restaurant out, and doesn't serve alcohol.

e.g. the reception is at the home of the parents of the bride, and they're serving alcohol, then you're fine.

e.g. the reception is on the grounds of a private school, with previously-purchased alcohol being served. Even though the mere presence of alcohol won't prohibit you from carrying, you still can't carry because it's on school grounds.

Note that you can't CONCEAL carry while you have any alcohol in your bloodstream, but there is not currently a legal prohibition for open carrying while drinking or intoxicated (unless, as mentioned, you're at a location that sells alcohol for consumption on the premises).

Clear as mud? My work here is finished. :celebrate