• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good news for Utah permit instructors

MSgt B

imported post

I just completed a class given by the president of VCDL, Mr. Philip Van Cleave.

A very informative and thorough instruction.

I would present him as an example of excellence to other Utah non-resident instructors.

If you would like to obtain an Utah non-resident concealed carry permit, without being "rubber stamped", he is your go-to guy.

You can reach him through the VCDL website. http://www.vcdl.org/

\*/ Don't Hesitate \*/ <--- (The MSgt B stamp of approval)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
I know of a certain "instructor" in Ohio who offered that to me. I passed and took PVCs class instead.
IMO - this type of thing should be reported. We have an obligation to self-monitor or it will be done for us.

Yata hey

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ProS to my knowledge the person was an instructor, but was choosing not to instruct thus the " ". I am an existing multiple permit holder and what was offered to me was to take the test the instructorhad prepared (not required by Utah I know) over what the course would cover, pay my fee and I would be provided documentation saying that I had met the requirement. Although I felt comfortable that I could pass the test, I was not comfortable using this test in lieu of participating in an actual class as required by Utah. Since that time I have taken the Utah course with PVC and my girlfriend, who was privvy to the conversation as well, has taken the Utah course under your instruction.

I do not recall the name of the instructor, but I do know the shop thatthe instructorworked out of, but don't care to reveal the name of the shop because I believethe shopotherwise does business in an ethical way.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

jmelvin wrote:
ProS to my knowledge the person was an instructor, but was choosing not to instruct thus the " ". I am an existing multiple permit holder and what was offered to me was to take the test the instructorhad prepared (not required by Utah I know) over what the course would cover, pay my fee and I would be provided documentation saying that I had met the requirement. Although I felt comfortable that I could pass the test, I was not comfortable using this test in lieu of participating in an actual class as required by Utah. Since that time I have taken the Utah course with PVC and my girlfriend, who was privvy to the conversation as well, has taken the Utah course under your instruction.

I do not recall the name of the instructor, but I do know the shop thatthe instructorworked out of, but don't care to reveal the name of the shop because I believethe shopotherwise does business in an ethical way.

That's incredible (yet credible) that someone entrusted with the certification would knowingly do that. You know, as instructors, we have good days and bad days. I've got into a conversation about something and completely missed a page of the manual and had to go back and cover it. People are human and all make mistakes but willfully trying to not offer the class yet sign off on your app is shameful.

Also, please say thank you to your girlfriend for her attendance. I do appreciate it and I hope that she enjoyed the material presented. :)

Jim

ProShooter

imported post

T Dubya wrote:
MSgt B wrote:
If you would like to obtain an Utah non-resident concealed carry permit, without being "rubber stamped", he is your go-to guy.

So is Pro Shooter; the author of this thread.

http://proactiveshooters.com/proactiveshooters/available-courses/

Thank you T Dubya.....I appreciate the mention....:)

I'm honored to be grouped with PVC as the only ones in the Richmond area who offer this permit class. Its a permit that I think everyone should have.

darthmord

imported post

One of these days I'm going to get in either PVC's or your class to get my permit. The way things are looking at work, I will want to do that sooner rather than later. Iwas informedearlier this week that my job starting in mid-late summer would start involving a lot of travel.

ProShooter

imported post

darthmord wrote:
One of these days I'm going to get in either PVC's or your class to get my permit. The way things are looking at work, I will want to do that sooner rather than later. Iwas informedearlier this week that my job starting in mid-late summer would start involving a lot of travel.
We do a Utah class monthly. Our next one is Sunday, March 22 from 10am-3pm. I'm not sure what Philip's upcoming schedule is but you may be able to get in sooner with him if you do not want to wait. :)

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
darthmord wrote:
We do a Utah class monthly. Our next one is Sunday, March 22 from 10am-3pm. I'm not sure what Philip's upcoming schedule is but you may be able to get in sooner with him if you do not want to wait. :)

Are you still giving the class in MD? If so, when?

The 2nd Amendment... brought to you by Beretta and the number 1787!!:X

ProShooter

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
darthmord wrote:

Still working out the details. Called a hotel today and was not thrilled with the room rental cost. Still scoping out locations and dates...

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

jmelvin wrote:

As aninstructor (NRA) myself, you would be doing the shop, other instructors and all of us RKBAers a favor if you would tell the shop owners, and if necessary take things up the line asfar as necessary.

Here in Cincinnati an NRA instructor handed out 100+ (I think) certificates, yet failed to follow content and time procedures. This invalidated the licenses of his students, inconveniencing themand gave part of the CCW processa black eye - andthe media got all the play they could out of it.

Please do what you can do stop this person's activities.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
imported post

This incident happened about a year ago in a shop I've been in two or three times in my life. I couldn't remember the person if I wanted to, but I do recall the occurrence and the location. I was a bit perturbed at the time, but I knew of no recourse and now I've long since forgotten the individual.

Smurfologist

Springfield by way of Chicago, Virginia, USA
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
darthmord wrote:

Still working out the details. Called a hotel today and was not thrilled with the room rental cost. Still scoping out locations and dates...

Thanks ProShooter. I will be waiting and will let you know how many people are committed on my end. You can count me in for sure (smile)!!

ProShooter

imported post

Smurfologist wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
Smurfologist wrote:
ProShooter wrote:
darthmord wrote:

Thanks ProShooter. I will be waiting and will let you know how many people are committed on my end. You can count me in for sure (smile)!!

Thank you Smurf...good to hear. As soon as I know something solid, I'll put it out there.

Jim