• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HR 45 Letter Representative

TheLoversWife

imported post

Some of was copied from a combination of other letters I found on the internet, just pieced together what I wanted. Feel free to use if needed.

The Honorable Rosa L. DeLauro
United States House of Representatives

Dear Representative DeLauro:
I am writing to bring to your attention my concerns regarding H.R. 45, Blair Holt's Firearm Licensing and Record of Sale Act of 2009. H.R. 45 would require a license for handguns and semiautomatics, including those currently possessed. I am strongly opposed to H.R. 45 and consider any additional legislation regarding gun control an infraction on my rights as a citizen of the United States of America.

The Second Amendment gives “the people” of America the right to keep and bear arms, and the Government should not prohibit law-abiding citizens from being able to use firearms in their own homes to defend themselves and their families. Currently, all firearms purchases from federally licensed dealers (FFLs) require a background check and completion of Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (BATFE) form 4473. In addition, all handgun purchases require a handgun permit issued by a citizen’s Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO). This in itself requires a waiting period and a thorough background check. These background checks include mental health background checks through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). The current system is appropriate and necessary, and no further licensing is required.

H.R. 45 requires the applicant to be thumb printed. Fingerprinting is unnecessary, because BATFE will already have a record of a citizen’s personal information, including fingerprints for handguns, due to the background check and form 4473. In addition, the bill would make it unlawful in nearly all cases to keep any loaded firearm for self-defense. Again, this directly conflicts with the Second Amendment, which states that the rights of the people to keep and bear arms “shall not be infringed.” A variety of “crimes by omission” (such as failure to report certain things) would be created. Criminal penalties of up to ten years and almost unlimited regulatory and inspection authority would be established. This Bill would effectively treat law-abiding citizens like criminals. Criminals are the ones upon whom the full regulatory force of the United States Government should fall, not law-abiding citizens.

Representative DeLauro, it is important to me to inform you of my feelings regarding H.R. 45. I ask for your kind attention and consideration in this matter. I am counting upon you to stand up for the rights of decent, law-abiding citizens.

Thank you kindly for your time.

Sincerely,

GoldCoaster

imported post

Absolutely! it was concise and clear and worst of all logical! lets hold all of their feet to the fire on this.

Thanks for posting it, it will help the rest of us who are not quite so wordsmithy!