Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Law introduced to repeal gun frre zones

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Let support his and contact your REPS today.

HOUSE BILL No. 4348

February 19, 2009, Introduced by Reps. LeBlanc, Sheltrown, Amash, Genetski, Polidori and Agema and referred to the Committee on Judiciary.

A bill to amend 1927 PA 372

by amending section 5c (MCL 28.425c), as amended by 2002 PA 719;

and to repeal acts and parts of acts.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ENACT:

Sec. 5c. (1) A license to carry a concealed pistol shall be ina form, with the same dimensions as a Michigan operator license,prescribed by the department of state police. The license shallcontain all of the following:

(a) The licensee's full name and date of birth.

(b) A photograph and a physical description of the licensee.

(c) A statement of the effective dates of the license.

(d) An indication of exceptions authorized by this actapplicable to the licensee.

(e) An indication whether the license is a duplicate.

(2) Subject to section 5o and except Except as otherwise

provided by law, a license to carry a concealed pistol issued bythe county concealed weapon licensing board authorizes the licenseeto do all of the following:

(a) Carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her personanywhere in this state.

(b) Carry a pistol in a vehicle, whether concealed or notconcealed, anywhere in this state.

Enacting section 1. Section 5o of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425o, is repealed.

An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

[ETA:]The bill is here:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(gdq...e=2009-HB-4348

[ETA:]And this will help find your rep in the House, if you need it:

http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Writing right now! And spreading the word!

Post imported post

With that wording, it looks like it could possibly prohibit open carry in the standard off-limits places, or no? I guess it depends on "how" a CPL holder is exempted from those places...

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

SQLtables wrote:
    With that wording, it looks like it could possibly prohibit open carry in the standard off-limits places, or no?* I guess it depends on "how" a CPL holder is exempted from those places...
    I don't believe so. The standard places that are prohibited to carry still exempt CPL holders. This means anyone with a CPL can carry anywhere, openly or otherwise.

Post imported post

I have to agree with zig. No wording seems to be changing except that the pistol free zone piece is being removed.

I had to read through it about 4 times to understand it....

Anti-urban, Bible thumping, Tekonsha, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

E-mailed my Rep, and passed the message on to other gun owners I know.
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death !" Patrick Henry

Post imported post

Done.

Dear Representative DeShazor,

I am a CPL holder and find the current labyrinth of laws concerning the concealed carry of a firearm in "Pistol Free Zones" unorganized legislatively and difficult to understand logically; I recently sent you an email regarding the issue of "Gun Free School Zones" to include school buses in transit, to which you responded swiftly and succinctly. I thank you again for that.

HB 4348 removes much of the ambiguity surrounding concealed carry in Michigan's "Pistol Free Zones" and by doing so, increases compliance by CPL designees and clarifies regulations for Peace Officers.

Please sponsor and/or vote for HB 4348.

Sincerely,

Anti-urban, Bible thumping, Tekonsha, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Brian,hope you didnt mind, but Iposted your message over at the 2A March forum under State Legislation and News.
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death !" Patrick Henry

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Sent e-mail to rep.springerdave.

Post imported post

spoke to at least 15-20 members of house and senate at the republican convention last weekend. have to pull together information on
    1) SCCC
    2) OCDO
    3) what WE believeto be necessary changes to MI laws (be reasonable here, vermont carry will take years to achieve)

pm me, these guys/gals are waiting (although I'm sure NOT on the edge of their seats) to hear from me.

Post imported post

what is SCCC?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

viperar15 wrote:
    what is SCCC?
    Students for Concealed Carry on Campus.

Post imported post

I send a letter to my State Rep and passed this along to 10 other persons.
    The use of force is a last resort. One aspect of violence is that it is unpredictable. Although your initial intention may be to use limited force, once you have engaged in violence the consequences are unpredictable. Violence always brings about unexpected results and almost always provokes retaliation.

Dalai Lama

http://www.generalnewsgroup.com/

Post imported post

It's interesting that an amended version of 28.425o is to go into effect this April. The only difference is an added line allowing judges immunity from the pistol free zones. I suppose striking the section altogether would get them what they want anyway, huh?
    "Fault always lies in the same place, my fine babies: with him weak enough to lay blame." - Cort

Gun control is like trying to reduce Drunk Driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Sentio aliquos togatos contra me conspirare.

The answer to "1984" is "
    1776"

With freedom comes much responsibility. It is for this reason so many are loathe to exercise it.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

SCCC UM-A2 will be mobilized for this one. It seems to be exactly what we need to get carry on campus, as long as we can get preemption and this law to apply to the Regents.

Post imported post

I Emailed my Rep, as well.

Post imported post

I can't say I really care for this bill. Any law that gives rights to those who have extra money or initiative to kiss the governments ass seems to me to be flawed. So in other words, I am entirely against the CPL system Michigan has, but will probably get one anyway so I can OC legally in other places. It bothers me, but I'll probably do it because of convenience, and the ability to further our cause without fear of wrongful prosecution.

You can't get a pistol without passing a background check, that's covered. And therefor you can't legally carry one either if you're a convicted felon. But anyone can carry within the law, and will face penalties if the law is broken. It's simple, and needs no licenses to work properly, even with far fewer restrictions that Michigan law has.

Requiring licenses to engage in constitutionally guaranteed freedoms is utterly unacceptable to me, and for that reason, I'm not going to bother throwing any support into this. I would be a hell of a lot more enthusiastic if it got rid of gun free zones for everyone legally eligible to carry, whether or not they can carry concealed. Failing that, I don't care. :?
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    I can't say I really care for this bill. Any law that gives rights to those who have extra money or initiative to kiss the governments ass seems to me to be flawed. So in other words, I am entirely against the CPL system Michigan has, but will probably get one anyway so I can OC legally in other places. It bothers me, but I'll probably do it because of convenience, and the ability to further our cause without fear of wrongful prosecution.

You can't get a pistol without passing a background check, that's covered. And therefor you can't legally carry one either if you're a convicted felon. But anyone can carry within the law, and will face penalties if the law is broken. It's simple, and needs no licenses to work properly, even with far fewer restrictions that Michigan law has.

Requiring licenses to engage in constitutionally guaranteed freedoms is utterly unacceptable to me, and for that reason, I'm not going to bother throwing any support into this. I would be a hell of a lot more enthusiastic if it got rid of gun free zones for everyone legally eligible to carry, whether or not they can carry concealed. Failing that, I don't care. :?
    it's a step in the right direction. while I wish to see vermont style gun laws, with OPTIONAL CPL check type thingy to get around the fed 1000 foot school law. we've got to take it a step at a time. and for the record, as far as college campuses are concerned, under the law an 18 yr old OC'er has more rights to OC than a CPL holder has to conceal. I think carry is carry, and will continue to do what little I can to affect changes to bring that about, please help us do the same. while it may not directly affect you, it brings us one more step closer to the restoration of our right to keep and bear.

Post imported post

Michigander wrote:
    I can't say I really care for this bill.
    I don't get it. You're not in favor of a bill that eliminates the pistol free zones?
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Post imported post

While I agree with Michigander that this bill would only eliminate gun free zones for those of us with CPL's, I too think it is a stepin the right direction and will support it.

Post imported post

The gun free zones for those without a CPL (i.e. for OCing) existed before the switch to shall issue. This simply fixes what should have never happened in the first place.

Something that we allowed to happen, based on the advice of a former speaker of the Michigan legislature.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Post imported post

Big Gay Al wrote:
    Michigander wrote:
    I can't say I really care for this bill.
    I don't get it. You're not in favor of a bill that eliminates the pistol free zones?
    He's not in favor of having to get a CPL period. Either we are equal or we are not. We either have our firearm rights infringed or we do not.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

I am not in favor of having to get a cpl either. This could be put this way, Joe Public is not in favor of having to get a hunting license, either we're hungry or we're not. But we don't just go grab a back strap any time we feel like it.springerdave.

Post imported post

springerdave wrote:
    I am not in favor of having to get a cpl either. This could be put this way, Joe Public is not in favor of having to get a hunting license, either we're hungry or we're not. But we don't just go grab a back strap any time we feel like it.springerdave.
    Wow! you can't compare the two. Hunting is not a right it's a privilege, like driving. Carrying a firearm is a right. But having to get a CPL is asking for permission to do something that ideally youshouldn't have to ask permission to do. With all the restriction on how and where you can OC without a CPL the state is greatly infringing our rights guaranteed by ourstate and federal constitutions.

There are states that have much less restrictions in regards to carrying handguns. Let's move in that direction.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast