• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Law introduced to repeal gun frre zones

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Let support his and contact your REPS today.

HOUSE BILL No. 4348

February 19, 2009, Introduced by Reps. LeBlanc, Sheltrown, Amash, Genetski, Polidori and Agema and referred to the Committee on Judiciary.

A bill to amend 1927 PA 372

by amending section 5c (MCL 28.425c), as amended by 2002 PA 719;

and to repeal acts and parts of acts.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF MICHIGAN ENACT:

Sec. 5c. (1) A license to carry a concealed pistol shall be ina form, with the same dimensions as a Michigan operator license,prescribed by the department of state police. The license shallcontain all of the following:

(a) The licensee's full name and date of birth.

(b) A photograph and a physical description of the licensee.

(c) A statement of the effective dates of the license.

(d) An indication of exceptions authorized by this actapplicable to the licensee.

(e) An indication whether the license is a duplicate.

(2) Subject to section 5o and except Except as otherwise

provided by law, a license to carry a concealed pistol issued bythe county concealed weapon licensing board authorizes the licenseeto do all of the following:

(a) Carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her personanywhere in this state.

(b) Carry a pistol in a vehicle, whether concealed or notconcealed, anywhere in this state.

Enacting section 1. Section 5o of 1927 PA 372, MCL 28.425o, is repealed.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SQLtables wrote:
With that wording, it looks like it could possibly prohibit open carry in the standard off-limits places, or no?  I guess it depends on "how" a CPL holder is exempted from those places...

I don't believe so. The standard places that are prohibited to carry still exempt CPL holders. This means anyone with a CPL can carry anywhere, openly or otherwise.

viperar15

imported post

I have to agree with zig. No wording seems to be changing except that the pistol free zone piece is being removed.

I had to read through it about 4 times to understand it....

jmlefler

imported post

Done.

Dear Representative DeShazor,

I am a CPL holder and find the current labyrinth of laws concerning the concealed carry of a firearm in "Pistol Free Zones" unorganized legislatively and difficult to understand logically; I recently sent you an email regarding the issue of "Gun Free School Zones" to include school buses in transit, to which you responded swiftly and succinctly. I thank you again for that.

HB 4348 removes much of the ambiguity surrounding concealed carry in Michigan's "Pistol Free Zones" and by doing so, increases compliance by CPL designees and clarifies regulations for Peace Officers.

Please sponsor and/or vote for HB 4348.

Sincerely,

joshuaeberly

imported post

spoke to at least 15-20 members of house and senate at the republican convention last weekend. have to pull together information on
1) SCCC
2) OCDO
3) what WE believeto be necessary changes to MI laws (be reasonable here, vermont carry will take years to achieve)

pm me, these guys/gals are waiting (although I'm sure NOT on the edge of their seats) to hear from me.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

It's interesting that an amended version of 28.425o is to go into effect this April. The only difference is an added line allowing judges immunity from the pistol free zones. I suppose striking the section altogether would get them what they want anyway, huh?

Rogue9er

Campaign Veteran
imported post

SCCC UM-A2 will be mobilized for this one. It seems to be exactly what we need to get carry on campus, as long as we can get preemption and this law to apply to the Regents.

Michigander

imported post

I can't say I really care for this bill. Any law that gives rights to those who have extra money or initiative to kiss the governments ass seems to me to be flawed. So in other words, I am entirely against the CPL system Michigan has, but will probably get one anyway so I can OC legally in other places. It bothers me, but I'll probably do it because of convenience, and the ability to further our cause without fear of wrongful prosecution.

You can't get a pistol without passing a background check, that's covered. And therefor you can't legally carry one either if you're a convicted felon. But anyone can carry within the law, and will face penalties if the law is broken. It's simple, and needs no licenses to work properly, even with far fewer restrictions that Michigan law has.

Requiring licenses to engage in constitutionally guaranteed freedoms is utterly unacceptable to me, and for that reason, I'm not going to bother throwing any support into this. I would be a hell of a lot more enthusiastic if it got rid of gun free zones for everyone legally eligible to carry, whether or not they can carry concealed. Failing that, I don't care. :?

joshuaeberly

imported post

Michigander wrote:
I can't say I really care for this bill. Any law that gives rights to those who have extra money or initiative to kiss the governments ass seems to me to be flawed. So in other words, I am entirely against the CPL system Michigan has, but will probably get one anyway so I can OC legally in other places. It bothers me, but I'll probably do it because of convenience, and the ability to further our cause without fear of wrongful prosecution.

You can't get a pistol without passing a background check, that's covered. And therefor you can't legally carry one either if you're a convicted felon. But anyone can carry within the law, and will face penalties if the law is broken. It's simple, and needs no licenses to work properly, even with far fewer restrictions that Michigan law has.

Requiring licenses to engage in constitutionally guaranteed freedoms is utterly unacceptable to me, and for that reason, I'm not going to bother throwing any support into this. I would be a hell of a lot more enthusiastic if it got rid of gun free zones for everyone legally eligible to carry, whether or not they can carry concealed. Failing that, I don't care. :?

it's a step in the right direction. while I wish to see vermont style gun laws, with OPTIONAL CPL check type thingy to get around the fed 1000 foot school law. we've got to take it a step at a time. and for the record, as far as college campuses are concerned, under the law an 18 yr old OC'er has more rights to OC than a CPL holder has to conceal. I think carry is carry, and will continue to do what little I can to affect changes to bring that about, please help us do the same. while it may not directly affect you, it brings us one more step closer to the restoration of our right to keep and bear.