• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Day Care law proposed

carracer

imported post

I just recieved this fron the NRA. I think this should be addressed. doesn't affect me as much my kids are grown, but, I have grandkids and this my be an issue at some time.

Senate Bill 1112, sponsored by State Senator Tim Corder (R-22), amends existing laws relating to daycare licenses in the state of Idaho and has a provision that infringes upon your Second Amendment Rights. If you are a parent and you value your right to protect yourself and your children, we need your help to defeat this bill!

Originally, Senator Corder sought NRA’s advice on drafting legislation and was supplied with suitable language that would have protected the self-defense rights of law-abiding Idahoans. Senator Corder changed our recommended language and now the bill inhibits your rights to possess a firearm.

SB1112 would make it illegal for a mother picking up her child to be carrying a handgun in her vehicle if it were determined the parking lot were part of “the premises,” even if she had a permit to carry. A spouse or family member of an in-home daycare facility who holds a Right-to-Carry permit would be prohibited from returning home during “normal operating hours” with their firearm. This would even apply to citizens who carry as a work requirement, such as a security guard."

Allen

imported post

boom wrote:
That is disturbing. Who should I write to, and where?
The bill is still in committee. Contact any and all of the following:

State Senator Patti Anne Lodge (R-13), Chair
palodge@senate.idaho.gov

State Senator Joyce Broadsword (R-2), Vice-Chair
jbroadsw@senate.idaho.gov

State Senator Denton Darrington (R-27)
ddarring@senate.idaho.gov

State Senator John McGee (R-10)
jmcgee@senate.idaho.gov

State Senator Charles Coiner (R-24)
ccoiner@senate.idaho.gov

State Senator James Hammond (R-5)
jhammond@senate.idaho.gov

State Senator Melinda Smyser (R-11)
msmyser@senate.idaho.gov

State Senator Nicole LeFayour (D-19)
nlefavou@senate.idaho.gov

State Senator Les Bock (D-16)
lbock@senate.idaho.gov

Hiredgun30

imported post

i got a response back from my email from Joyce broadsword.

she sent me an email stating that the wording has been changed based on NRA imput.

rpyne

imported post

According to the published version, the bill still contains the language

(f) Firearms or weapons which are on the premises of a daycare facility must be kept in a locked container that is inaccessible to children while daycare attendees are present;
What part of "shall not be infringed" does the NRA not understand?

ssfry99

imported post

NRA Ends Opposition to SB1112 Thanks to New Amendment

Thanks to your calls, Senate Bill 1112 has been presented to the Idaho State Legislature with an amendment that corrects problems that NRA found with the bill’s language. This correction will allow a citizen to be in lawful possession of a firearm on the premises of a daycare facility if they are otherwise authorized to do so.

With the inclusion of the amendment RS18664A1, NRA no longer stands in opposition to this bill. The amendment has not been posted to SB1112 yet, as it is still being considered. We will continue to monitor SB1112 through the amending order and once the process is complete, will confirm that the NRA approved language is preserved.

We will keep you informed if further action is needed. Thank you for your support and please continue to check your email and www.NRAILA.org for further updates.

boom

imported post

rpyne wrote:
According to the published version, the bill still contains the language

(f) Firearms or weapons which are on the premises of a daycare facility must be kept in a locked container that is inaccessible to children while daycare attendees are present;

The current PDF document online reads exactly as above (page 6, line 27)

While I can understand the thinking that having a loaded shotgun in the daycare broom closet is just unacceptable, this is still an incredible infringement on our rights.

How is it thatour state government can tell a business owner responsible for the safety of children, that they cannot carry?

A retention holster would adequately keep the sticky fingered charges safe from the "bad guns."

The only option for the gun owner would be aquick- access type of gunsafe in every room and on the playground.

My children are past the daycare age now, but when they were in daycare and I was in and out to pick up/ drop off , I was armed. If I am transporting my kids, I'm armed.

If I was a daycare owner, I'd have a shoulder rig on each and every day and an unbuttoned collared shirt over it. Who really wants to be the one to tell a parent that you were unable to protect their child from an abduction? (or a toddler Columbine, for that matter) I don't know if it's happened yet, but some nut job is bound to sooner or later.

Even if one out of every hundred daycare operators chooses to arm themselves, they SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT to do so. That would be the daycarewhere I would want my children.

idahomilitia

imported post

Children unprotected by lawful gun possession are all too often killed. Can the libs name one instant in which a child in a daycare was harmed by a lawfully possessed gun? And yet children are massecred at a Jewish day care center and an Amish elementary school. How many more children need to die as needless sacrifices to myopic ideologies?

rpyne

imported post

Is there any organized effort in Idaho that is working to stop this?

I see that it has now passed the Senate and sent to the House for consideration.

03/12 3rdrdgasamen - PASSED-30-5-0
AYES--Andreason, Bair, Bilyeu, Bock, Brackett, Broadsword, Cameron, Coiner, Corder, Darrington, Davis, Geddes, Goedde, Hammond, Heinrich, Hill, Jorgenson, Kelly, Keough, LeFavour, Lodge, McGee, McKenzie, Sagness(Malepeai), Schroeder, Siddoway, Stegner, Thorson(Stennett), Werk, Winder
NAYS--Fulcher, McKague, Mortimer, Pearce, Smyser
Absentandexcused--None
FloorSponsor-Corder

It never ceases to amaze me the stuff that people let get passed into law. If you don't have elected representatives who will stand up to this, it is time you replaced your representatives.

It is surprising just how small of a group, if dedicated and willing, can change a legislators mind and if not change the legislator.

rpyne

imported post

boom wrote:
How is it thatour state government can tell a business owner responsible for the safety of children, that they cannot carry?
There is only one way they can do it and that is if their constituents allow them to get away with it. STAND UP FOR YOUR RIGHTS or don't complain when you lose them.

If you don't organize and lobby, you will continue to have your rights violated and taken away.

rpyne

imported post

ssfry99 wrote:
NRA Ends Opposition to SB1112 Thanks to New Amendment

Thanks to your calls, Senate Bill 1112 has been presented to the Idaho State Legislature with an amendment that corrects problems that NRA found with the bill’s language. This correction will allow a citizen to be in lawful possession of a firearm on the premises of a daycare facility if they are otherwise authorized to do so.

With the inclusion of the amendment RS18664A1, NRA no longer stands in opposition to this bill. The amendment has not been posted to SB1112 yet, as it is still being considered. We will continue to monitor SB1112 through the amending order and once the process is complete, will confirm that the NRA approved language is preserved.

We will keep you informed if further action is needed. Thank you for your support and please continue to check your email and http://www.NRAILA.org for further updates.
The first thing that you have to learn is that when it comes to protecting your Right to Keep and Bear Arms, is that the NRA is NOT your friend!!!!

I cannot count the number of times that the NRA has stepped in and given away our rights in the name of "reasonableness" or "compromise".

There is absolutely NOTHING in the requirement to keep your tools of self defense locked up that protects your rights.

Brian Judy, the NRA lobbyist assigned to Utah has screwed us far many more times than the liberal anti-gunners have.