Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: Virginia Assistant Attorney General Arrested

  1. #1
    Activist Member Wolf_shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Accomac, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,213

    Post imported post

    Asst. Atty. Gen.
    arrested in Norfolk
    Updated: Friday, 20 Feb 2009, 1:57 PM EST
    Published : Friday, 20 Feb 2009, 1:40 PM EST



    NORFOLK, Va. - Virginia Assistant Attorney General Steven Lederman is out of jail on bond, accused of dealing drugs, according to Norfolk police.

    Narcotic Investigators arrested Lederman Thursday evening in the 7600 block of Hampton Blvd. He is charged with one count of Felony Possession with Intent to Distribute Marijuana and one count of Misdemeanor 1st Offense Carrying a Concealed Weapon.

    Norfolk Police spokesperson Chris Amos told WAVY.com investigators made the arrest after acting on a tip.

    http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_w...ested_20090220

    Aren't these the same people who Gov. Kane fells are able to carry without a CHP?

    Yes I carry a Bible and a Gun, your point.
    Vindiciae Contra Tyrannos (meaning: "A defence of liberty against tyrants")
    Benjamin Franklin said, "A government that does not trust it's citizens with guns is a government that should not be trusted."



  2. #2
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    Wolf_shadow wrote:
    Aren't these the same people who Gov. Kane fells are able to carry without a CHP?
    The exception in 18.2-308 states:

    9. Any attorney for the Commonwealth or assistant attorney for the Commonwealth, wherever such attorney may travel in the Commonwealth.
    I'm not sure if that covers Assistant Attorneys General (or is it Assistant Attorney Generals?) or not. If it does, it would seem they would have to drop the concealed weapon charge, but of course this is Norfolk, they tend to charge you with things they aren't supposed to as a hobby.

    TFred

    PS. For those wondering, according to Wikipedia, there are "about 150 assistant attorneys general".

    ETA: PS

  3. #3
    Regular Member buster81's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,461

    Post imported post

    OMG! This is completely off topic and you are an Assistant Attorney General Hater and Basher! sarcasm off

  4. #4
    Regular Member ProShooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
    Posts
    4,671

    Post imported post

    Misdemeanor 1st Offense Carrying a Concealed Weapon

    That charge doesnt necessarily mean that he was carrying a handgun. There are things in the Code like machetes and Chinese throwing stars that any handgun exemption wouldn't cover.

    I'm sure that someone could FOIA the warrant and see what the alleged item was.
    James Reynolds

    NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

  5. #5
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    More details in this article:

    http://www.wvec.com/news/norfolk/sto....352f4a50.html

    Assistant attorney general from Norfolk arrested on drug charge

    03:40 PM EST on Friday, February 20, 2009

    Reported by: Patrick Terpstra

    NORFOLK -- Norfolk Police arrested an assistant attorney general for Virginia, charging him with possession with intent to distribute and carrying a concealed weapon.

    Court documents say police trailed Steven Lederman from his Ghent home to Washington, D.C., on Thursday. Once back in Norfolk, police pulled him over and found marijuana and suspected cocaine in his van, according to the documents.

    A confidential informant has told police Lederman was dealing marijuana from his home on Redgate Avenue.

    Lederman has worked for the attorney general's office since 1997. He's been "suspended pending further investigation," officials told 13News.

    He free on bond on charges of felony possession with intent to distribute marijuana and misdemeanor first offense carrying a concealed weapon.

    Commonwealth’s Attorney spokeswoman Amanda How said Friday, “It’s our belief we have a conflict, so we’re anticipating the Circuit Court will be appointing a special prosecutor to handle the case.”

    No court dates have been set, she added.

    In 2007, Lederman was a candidate for the Norfolk Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Virginia USA, ,
    Posts
    1,688

    Post imported post

    I would assume the "drug charge" moves the "weapons charge" up a notch even if the VA Code allows for Assistant Attorney General's are carrying.

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892

    Post imported post

    Marijuana? I thought a crime had been committed.

    If the cocaine thing is true that's not good. No one trusts a cokehead.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    166

    Post imported post

    Sheriff wrote:
    buster81 wrote:
    OMG! This is completely off topic and you are an Assistant Attorney General Hater and Basher! sarcasm off


    You crack me up, you 229 basher you!!!!!

    This arrest comes as no surprise to me. I have said it once, I will say it again.... the quality of public employee in every field imaginable has been going downhill for at least the last 15 years. I have never seen so many criminalsworking in local, state and federal government positions in my entire life. Where in the world does it end?

    I disagree. The average number of dishonest or criminals in public office has always been constant.

    They are just getting caught more often due to changes in audits, policy, or discovered by the police during investigations.

    It is the law of averages onsay 1% of the population are criminals. so you are going to have they same percentage in any job. Public or private.

    There are many citizens charged with the same crimes but because it is not news worthy so you will not hear about it.

    You worked at the court house so you know how many people are charged with the same crimes and attend court.

  9. #9
    Founder's Club Member OC-Glock19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Woodbridge, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    561

    Post imported post

    T Dubya wrote:
    Marijuana? I thought a crime had been committed.

    If the cocaine thing is true that's not good. No one trusts a cokehead.
    And I don't trust a pothead.



  10. #10
    Regular Member IanB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    1,896

    Post imported post

    "Only Ones" status in 3... 2... 1...

  11. #11
    Regular Member paramedic70002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Franklin, VA, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,448

    Post imported post

    My only thought, does participation in criminal activity invalidate your CHP or statutory authority to carry concealed? I don't think I've seen that in the code, but is there case law?

    Yes, it would be funny if they had to drop a weapons charge against this high profile dealer. And laid it square at the feet of Mr. Kaine. Hopefully the AAG did NOT have a CHP.

    Wonder if DC will want a piece of him, too, since he apparently carried it into their Utopian enclave.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

    Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

  12. #12
    Regular Member 2a4all's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Newport News, VA, ,
    Posts
    1,586

    Post imported post

    Sheriff wrote:
    TFred wrote:
    In 2007, Lederman was a candidate for the Norfolk Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.
    He was considered for a judgeship. He was not named to the post.

    Now read about the Christmas present in February....

    An affidavit in support of a search of Lederman’s home, filed in Circuit Court on Friday, gives this account of how an investigation started, how police followed him, and his arrest:

    Police got a tip that Lederman traveled to Washington, D.C. to buy marijuana, and then brought the drugs back to his home to package and resell. The informant told police that Lederman spent $500 to $1,000 on marijuana, and that he sometimes stopped in Richmond on the way back to buy cocaine.

    Police staked out Lederman’s home on the 600 block of Redgate Ave. in Ghent on Thursday, and saw him get into a silver full-size van. Police followed Lederman to Washington, and then to Richmond. Police saw Lederman leave a residence in Richmond carrying a red and white bag.

    Police stopped Lederman for a traffic infraction on the 7600 block of Hampton Blvd. A police drug-sniffing dog alerted on the red and white bag in Lederman’s van. Police found marijuana wrapped as a Christmas present inside the bag. Police also found a mirror with suspected cocaine residue. The warrant does not detail how much of either drug was found. State law says that possession of more than half an ounce of marijuana is a felony.

    Wonder if this picture will work....

    WTF! No Storm Trooper Tactics to bust down his front door?? After all, they used a CI.

    Oh, wait. This isn't Chesapeake, and this guy is well-connected.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

    Member VCDL, NRA

  13. #13
    Regular Member MeBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Right Here, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    257

    Post imported post

    Devils Advocate wrote:



    I disagree. The average number of dishonest or criminals in public office has always been constant.

    They are just getting caught more often due to changes in audits, policy, or discovered by the police during investigations.

    It is the law of averages onsay 1% of the population are criminals. so you are going to have they same percentage in any job. Public or private.

    There are many citizens charged with the same crimes but because it is not news worthy so you will not hear about it.

    You worked at the court house so you know how many people are charged with the same crimes and attend court.
    If this is a fact, please cite authority. If opinion, please state as such :P

  14. #14
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    166

    Post imported post

    MeBaby wrote:
    Devils Advocate wrote:
    I disagree. The average number of dishonest or criminals in public office has always been constant.

    They are just getting caught more often due to changes in audits, policy, or discovered by the police during investigations.

    It is the law of averages onsay 1% of the population are criminals. so you are going to have they same percentage in any job. Public or private.

    There are many citizens charged with the same crimes but because it is not news worthy so you will not hear about it.

    You worked at the court house so you know how many people are charged with the same crimes and attend court.
    If this is a fact, please cite authority. If opinion, please state as such :P
    Sorry, if you need additional helpand havespelled out as opinion. The general population will conclude this is an opinion based on the words used and subject matter.

    As I posted, "law of averages" sothis should be your first clue.

    Obviously, there is no data availableon how many people were committing crimes in the pastand not being caught that can be compared to the total number being caught today.

    But if it makes you feel better.. EVERYTHING I post is an opinion unless I say otherwise.

  15. #15
    Regular Member MeBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Right Here, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    257

    Post imported post

    Devils Advocate wrote:
    MeBaby wrote:
    Devils Advocate wrote:
    I disagree. The average number of dishonest or criminals in public office has always been constant.

    They are just getting caught more often due to changes in audits, policy, or discovered by the police during investigations.

    It is the law of averages onsay 1% of the population are criminals. so you are going to have they same percentage in any job. Public or private.

    There are many citizens charged with the same crimes but because it is not news worthy so you will not hear about it.

    You worked at the court house so you know how many people are charged with the same crimes and attend court.
    If this is a fact, please cite authority. If opinion, please state as such :P
    Sorry, if you need additional helpand havespelled out as opinion. The general population will conclude this is an opinion based on the words used and subject matter.

    As I posted, "law of averages" sothis should be your first clue.

    Obviously, there is no data availableon how many people were committing crimes in the pastand not being caught that can be compared to the total number being caught today.

    But if it makes you feel better.. EVERYTHING I post is an opinion unless I say otherwise.
    Ok. You're on record for this from here on out 229. Thanks for the clarification.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    , Virginia, USA
    Posts
    166

    Post imported post

    MeBaby wrote:
    Devils Advocate wrote:
    MeBaby wrote:
    Devils Advocate wrote:
    I disagree. The average number of dishonest or criminals in public office has always been constant.

    They are just getting caught more often due to changes in audits, policy, or discovered by the police during investigations.

    It is the law of averages onsay 1% of the population are criminals. so you are going to have they same percentage in any job. Public or private.

    There are many citizens charged with the same crimes but because it is not news worthy so you will not hear about it.

    You worked at the court house so you know how many people are charged with the same crimes and attend court.
    If this is a fact, please cite authority. If opinion, please state as such :P
    Sorry, if you need additional helpand havespelled out as opinion. The general population will conclude this is an opinion based on the words used and subject matter.

    As I posted, "law of averages" sothis should be your first clue.

    Obviously, there is no data availableon how many people were committing crimes in the pastand not being caught that can be compared to the total number being caught today.

    But if it makes you feel better.. EVERYTHING I post is an opinion unless I say otherwise.
    Ok. You're on record for this from here on out 229. Thanks for the clarification.
    What? Please do not accuse me of being someone I am not.

    We are all here providing our opinions. I sure hope you are not taking in everything as fact unless you have checked it for yourself.

  17. #17
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    MeBaby wrote:
    Devils Advocate wrote:
    MeBaby wrote:
    Devils Advocate wrote:
    I disagree. The average number of dishonest or criminals in public office has always been constant.

    They are just getting caught more often due to changes in audits, policy, or discovered by the police during investigations.

    It is the law of averages onsay 1% of the population are criminals. so you are going to have they same percentage in any job. Public or private.

    There are many citizens charged with the same crimes but because it is not news worthy so you will not hear about it.

    You worked at the court house so you know how many people are charged with the same crimes and attend court.
    If this is a fact, please cite authority. If opinion, please state as such :P
    Sorry, if you need additional helpand havespelled out as opinion. The general population will conclude this is an opinion based on the words used and subject matter.

    As I posted, "law of averages" sothis should be your first clue.

    Obviously, there is no data availableon how many people were committing crimes in the pastand not being caught that can be compared to the total number being caught today.

    But if it makes you feel better.. EVERYTHING I post is an opinion unless I say otherwise.
    Ok. You're on record for this from here on out 229. Thanks for the clarification.
    "If this is a fact, please cite authority. If opinion, please state as such :P"

    I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist!

    TFred, laughing just a little bit...

  18. #18
    Regular Member MeBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Right Here, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    257

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    MeBaby wrote:
    Devils Advocate wrote:
    MeBaby wrote:
    Devils Advocate wrote:
    I disagree. The average number of dishonest or criminals in public office has always been constant.

    They are just getting caught more often due to changes in audits, policy, or discovered by the police during investigations.

    It is the law of averages onsay 1% of the population are criminals. so you are going to have they same percentage in any job. Public or private.

    There are many citizens charged with the same crimes but because it is not news worthy so you will not hear about it.

    You worked at the court house so you know how many people are charged with the same crimes and attend court.
    If this is a fact, please cite authority. If opinion, please state as such :P
    Sorry, if you need additional helpand havespelled out as opinion. The general population will conclude this is an opinion based on the words used and subject matter.

    As I posted, "law of averages" sothis should be your first clue.

    Obviously, there is no data availableon how many people were committing crimes in the pastand not being caught that can be compared to the total number being caught today.

    But if it makes you feel better.. EVERYTHING I post is an opinion unless I say otherwise.
    Ok. You're on record for this from here on out 229. Thanks for the clarification.
    "If this is a fact, please cite authority. If opinion, please state as such :P"

    I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist!

    TFred, laughing just a little bit...
    Hey, it's my opinion until DA is spotted at an open carry dinner by a reputable member who can vouch that they are not one in the same.

    I'm laughing with you TFred.

  19. #19
    Regular Member TFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Most historic town in, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    7,705

    Post imported post

    MeBaby wrote:
    Hey, it's my opinion until DA is spotted at an open carry dinner by a reputable member who can vouch that they are not one in the same.

    I'm laughing with you TFred.
    I'm always glad when people get my sense of humor...

    TFred

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , Maryland, USA
    Posts
    230

    Post imported post

    I wonder if he was carrying that "concealed weapon" while in D.C.?

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    374

    Post imported post

    TFred wrote:
    I'm not sure if that covers Assistant Attorneys General (or is it Assistant Attorney Generals?) or not.
    Grammatical sidenote: It is indeed "Attorneys General."
    http://www.environmentalleader.com/2...regulate-ghgs/
    http://archives.chicagotribune.com/2...eclosurepreven

    And for a parallel usage:
    http://www.amazon.com/Uncommon-Men-S...779&sr=1-1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •