• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Virginia Assistant Attorney General Arrested

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

Asst. Atty. Gen.
arrested in Norfolk
Updated: Friday, 20 Feb 2009, 1:57 PM EST
Published : Friday, 20 Feb 2009, 1:40 PM EST

NORFOLK, Va. - Virginia Assistant Attorney General Steven Lederman is out of jail on bond, accused of dealing drugs, according to Norfolk police.

Narcotic Investigators arrested Lederman Thursday evening in the 7600 block of Hampton Blvd. He is charged with one count of Felony Possession with Intent to Distribute Marijuana and one count of Misdemeanor 1st Offense Carrying a Concealed Weapon.

Norfolk Police spokesperson Chris Amos told WAVY.com investigators made the arrest after acting on a tip.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_wavy_norfolk_assistantattorneygeneralarrested_20090220

Aren't these the same people who Gov. Kane fells are able to carry without a CHP?

TFred

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
Aren't these the same people who Gov. Kane fells are able to carry without a CHP?
The exception in 18.2-308 states:

9. Any attorney for the Commonwealth or assistant attorney for the Commonwealth, wherever such attorney may travel in the Commonwealth.
I'm not sure if that covers Assistant Attorneys General (or is it Assistant Attorney Generals?) or not. If it does, it would seem they would have to drop the concealed weapon charge, but of course this is Norfolk, they tend to charge you with things they aren't supposed to as a hobby.

TFred

PS. For those wondering, according to Wikipedia, there are "about 150 assistant attorneys general".

ETA: PS

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Misdemeanor 1st Offense Carrying a Concealed Weapon

That charge doesnt necessarily mean that he was carrying a handgun. There are things in the Code like machetes and Chinese throwing stars that any handgun exemption wouldn't cover.

I'm sure that someone could FOIA the warrant and see what the alleged item was.

TFred

imported post

More details in this article:

http://www.wvec.com/news/norfolk/stories/wvec_local_022009_lederman_arrest_.352f4a50.html

Assistant attorney general from Norfolk arrested on drug charge

03:40 PM EST on Friday, February 20, 2009

Reported by: Patrick Terpstra

NORFOLK -- Norfolk Police arrested an assistant attorney general for Virginia, charging him with possession with intent to distribute and carrying a concealed weapon.

Court documents say police trailed Steven Lederman from his Ghent home to Washington, D.C., on Thursday. Once back in Norfolk, police pulled him over and found marijuana and suspected cocaine in his van, according to the documents.

A confidential informant has told police Lederman was dealing marijuana from his home on Redgate Avenue.

Lederman has worked for the attorney general's office since 1997. He's been "suspended pending further investigation," officials told 13News.

He free on bond on charges of felony possession with intent to distribute marijuana and misdemeanor first offense carrying a concealed weapon.

Commonwealth’s Attorney spokeswoman Amanda How said Friday, “It’s our belief we have a conflict, so we’re anticipating the Circuit Court will be appointing a special prosecutor to handle the case.”

No court dates have been set, she added.

In 2007, Lederman was a candidate for the Norfolk Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

hsmith

imported post

I would assume the "drug charge" moves the "weapons charge" up a notch even if the VA Code allows for Assistant Attorney General's are carrying.

Sheriff

imported post

buster81 wrote:
OMG! This is completely off topic and you are an Assistant Attorney General Hater and Basher! sarcasm off

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You crack me up, you 229 basher you!!!!!

This arrest comes as no surprise to me. I have said it once, I will say it again.... the quality of public employee in every field imaginable has been going downhill for at least the last 15 years. I have never seen so many criminalsworking in local, state and federal government positions in my entire life. Where in the world does it end?

Sheriff

imported post

TFred wrote:
In 2007, Lederman was a candidate for the Norfolk Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court.

He was considered for a judgeship. He was not named to the post.

Now read about the Christmas present in February.... :lol:

An affidavit in support of a search of Lederman’s home, filed in Circuit Court on Friday, gives this account of how an investigation started, how police followed him, and his arrest:

Police got a tip that Lederman traveled to Washington, D.C. to buy marijuana, and then brought the drugs back to his home to package and resell. The informant told police that Lederman spent $500 to $1,000 on marijuana, and that he sometimes stopped in Richmond on the way back to buy cocaine.

Police staked out Lederman’s home on the 600 block of Redgate Ave. in Ghent on Thursday, and saw him get into a silver full-size van. Police followed Lederman to Washington, and then to Richmond. Police saw Lederman leave a residence in Richmond carrying a red and white bag.

Police stopped Lederman for a traffic infraction on the 7600 block of Hampton Blvd. A police drug-sniffing dog alerted on the red and white bag in Lederman’s van. Police found marijuana wrapped as a Christmas present inside the bag. Police also found a mirror with suspected cocaine residue. The warrant does not detail how much of either drug was found. State law says that possession of more than half an ounce of marijuana is a felony.

Wonder if this picture will work....

260221.jpg

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Marijuana? I thought a crime had been committed.

If the cocaine thing is true that's not good. No one trusts a cokehead.

Devils Advocate

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
buster81 wrote:
OMG! This is completely off topic and you are an Assistant Attorney General Hater and Basher! sarcasm off

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You crack me up, you 229 basher you!!!!!

This arrest comes as no surprise to me. I have said it once, I will say it again.... the quality of public employee in every field imaginable has been going downhill for at least the last 15 years. I have never seen so many criminalsworking in local, state and federal government positions in my entire life. Where in the world does it end?

I disagree. The average number of dishonest or criminals in public office has always been constant.

They are just getting caught more often due to changes in audits, policy, or discovered by the police during investigations.

It is the law of averages onsay 1% of the population are criminals. so you are going to have they same percentage in any job. Public or private.

There are many citizens charged with the same crimes but because it is not news worthy so you will not hear about it.

You worked at the court house so you know how many people are charged with the same crimes and attend court.

paramedic70002

imported post

My only thought, does participation in criminal activity invalidate your CHP or statutory authority to carry concealed? I don't think I've seen that in the code, but is there case law?

Yes, it would be funny if they had to drop a weapons charge against this high profile dealer. And laid it square at the feet of Mr. Kaine. Hopefully the AAG did NOT have a CHP.

Wonder if DC will want a piece of him, too, since he apparently carried it into their Utopian enclave.

2a4all

imported post

Sheriff wrote:
TFred wrote:

He was considered for a judgeship. He was not named to the post.

Now read about the Christmas present in February.... :lol:

An affidavit in support of a search of Lederman’s home, filed in Circuit Court on Friday, gives this account of how an investigation started, how police followed him, and his arrest:

Police got a tip that Lederman traveled to Washington, D.C. to buy marijuana, and then brought the drugs back to his home to package and resell. The informant told police that Lederman spent $500 to $1,000 on marijuana, and that he sometimes stopped in Richmond on the way back to buy cocaine.

Police staked out Lederman’s home on the 600 block of Redgate Ave. in Ghent on Thursday, and saw him get into a silver full-size van. Police followed Lederman to Washington, and then to Richmond. Police saw Lederman leave a residence in Richmond carrying a red and white bag.

Police stopped Lederman for a traffic infraction on the 7600 block of Hampton Blvd. A police drug-sniffing dog alerted on the red and white bag in Lederman’s van. Police found marijuana wrapped as a Christmas present inside the bag. Police also found a mirror with suspected cocaine residue. The warrant does not detail how much of either drug was found. State law says that possession of more than half an ounce of marijuana is a felony.

Wonder if this picture will work....

260221.jpg
WTF! No Storm Trooper Tactics to bust down his front door?? After all, they used a CI.

Oh, wait. This isn't Chesapeake, and this guy is well-connected.:banghead:

MeBaby

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:

I disagree. The average number of dishonest or criminals in public office has always been constant.

They are just getting caught more often due to changes in audits, policy, or discovered by the police during investigations.

It is the law of averages onsay 1% of the population are criminals. so you are going to have they same percentage in any job. Public or private.

There are many citizens charged with the same crimes but because it is not news worthy so you will not hear about it.

You worked at the court house so you know how many people are charged with the same crimes and attend court.
If this is a fact, please cite authority. If opinion, please state as such :p

Devils Advocate

imported post

MeBaby wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:

Sorry, if you need additional helpand havespelled out as opinion. The general population will conclude this is an opinion based on the words used and subject matter.

As I posted, "law of averages" sothis should be your first clue.

Obviously, there is no data availableon how many people were committing crimes in the pastand not being caught that can be compared to the total number being caught today.

But if it makes you feel better.. EVERYTHING I post is an opinion unless I say otherwise.

MeBaby

imported post

Devils Advocate wrote:
MeBaby wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:

Sorry, if you need additional helpand havespelled out as opinion. The general population will conclude this is an opinion based on the words used and subject matter.

Obviously, there is no data availableon how many people were committing crimes in the pastand not being caught that can be compared to the total number being caught today.

But if it makes you feel better.. EVERYTHING I post is an opinion unless I say otherwise.
Ok. :)You're on record for this from here on out 229. Thanks for the clarification.

Devils Advocate

imported post

MeBaby wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
MeBaby wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:

Ok. :)You're on record for this from here on out 229. Thanks for the clarification.

What? Please do not accuse me of being someone I am not.

We are all here providing our opinions. I sure hope you are not taking in everything as fact unless you have checked it for yourself.

TFred

imported post

MeBaby wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
MeBaby wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:

"If this is a fact, please cite authority. If opinion, please state as such :p"

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist! :D

TFred, laughing just a little bit...

MeBaby

imported post

TFred wrote:
MeBaby wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:
MeBaby wrote:
Devils Advocate wrote:

"If this is a fact, please cite authority. If opinion, please state as such :p"

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist! :D

TFred, laughing just a little bit...

Hey, it's my opinion until DA is spotted at an open carry dinner by a reputable member who can vouch that they are not one in the same. :D

I'm laughing with you TFred.