• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going Public

Syntax Error

imported post

Hello my name is Matt. I kinda snuck in the board on another post, but thought I would say hi here. I will be going out (as opposed to coming out) for the first time after work today. I grew up here, but moved away after high school (joined the Navy). I just moved back and am getting settled back in. I will let you know how it goes here in the West Monroe area.

I do have a question. I am sure it may have been discussed before so forgive me if it is that is so. Concerning application of deadly force.., I have read La. is "stand your ground type state. etc. Are there any nuance... particulars to be aware of? If this has been discussed, perhaps a link to said discussion..?.

Thanks,

Matt

imported post

If, and I hope that day never comes, I ever have to use deadly force, my justification will be the same line the "law enforcement officers" always use after killing one of their masters: I was in fear for my life. Grand juries always seem to accept that from them, it should work for us, too, right?

Dustin

imported post

Syntax Error wrote:
Hello my name is Matt. I kinda snuck in the board on another post, but thought I would say hi here. I will be going out (as opposed to coming out) for the first time after work today. I grew up here, but moved away after high school (joined the Navy). I just moved back and am getting settled back in. I will let you know how it goes here in the West Monroe area.

I do have a question. I am sure it may have been discussed before so forgive me if it is that is so. Concerning application of deadly force.., I have read La. is "stand your ground type state. etc. Are there any nuance... particulars to be aware of? If this has been discussed, perhaps a link to said discussion..?.

Thanks,

Matt

When it comes down to a life or death situation, you won't have to think of what to do. Your instinct will take over.

I personally will try to aviod confrontation as much as possible. If that means taking some threats or trash talk etc.etc., and packing the family in the car and moving on. So be it. If there is a way out, LEAVE.

If there's not a way out, Stand your ground, and prepare for the worst.

Syntax Error

imported post

Dustin wrote:
When it comes down to a life or death situation, you won't have to think of what to do. Your instinct will take over.

I personally will try to aviod confrontation as much as possible. If that means taking some threats or trash talk etc.etc., and packing the family in the car and moving on. So be it. If there is a way out, LEAVE.

If there's not a way out, Stand your ground, and prepare for the worst.

My thought process exactly. Furthermore, I will never pull to stop a situtation from getting hotter. I will just leave. If you must do one pull, do the other pull as well.

I was more interested in the protection of others. I think I am up on it, but was just checking for lessons learned maybe by others.

Thanks,

Matt

Syntax Error

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
my justification will be the same line the "law enforcement officers" always use after killing one of their masters: I was in fear for my life. Grand juries always seem to accept that from them, it should work for us, too, right?

I might even be able to conjure up a tear.

R/

Matt

imported post

The one time I almost had to make that decision, one thought ran through my mind in the few seconds I had to mull it over: will a grand jury indict ME? Not a pleasant thought, when seconds count.
As Grady on the old Sanford & Son show once commented: "I'm well trained in the oldest means of self defense known to man. Running." No shame in it, either, if that's even an option.

Syntax Error

imported post

FLMason wrote:
Matt I will be in West Monroe around the 25 for about a week maybe we can get together and do some exercising of our 2nd

Well asyou are a traveling man I see, I would like that very much. I have been known to travel some myself. BTW I just moved back here from FL. I am sure we can tell many lies.

Respectfully,

Matt

sheepdog

imported post

...Syntax Error...these bills may be good resources for you: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=2308

...running is not in my plan....I have carried a gun for over 46 years, legally and not...and have never had to fire a shot at a human being....I pray two things...that I won't have to, and that, if I do have to , I won't miss...

You show wisdom in not using a gun to threaten or warn off someone...either can get us in trouble and usually doesn't work for what we intended...may you carry a hundred years and never need it...but have it with you if you do....

Syntax Error

imported post

sheepdog wrote:
...Syntax Error...these bills may be good resources for you: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?id=2308

...running is not in my plan....I have carried a gun for over 46 years, legally and not...and have never had to fire a shot at a human being....I pray two things...that I won't have to, and that, if I do have to , I won't miss...

You show wisdom in not using a gun to threaten or warn off someone...either can get us in trouble and usually doesn't work for what we intended...may you carry a hundred years and never need it...but have it with you if you do....
Thanks, those seem like the ones to read. State site is still down, so i will pick them up when the bandwidth opens up.

R/
Matt

Syntax Error

imported post

So there I was, one of the finest handguns in the world resting on my hip. Went to our friends house where my wife was waiting. Upon arrival, she promptly sent my buddy and I to my house to get some things. Imagine my surprise when on the first day of OC for me, there were 3 patrol cars at my neighbor's house when we arrived. I got out, and walked to my house no problem. Now one of two things. Either they did not notice, which I doubt. Or they noticed and didn't give a second look. I will have more as we progress.

Matt

sheepdog

imported post

...all cops aren't as wide awake as you are...I used to sneak up on them on and off duty to teach them to watch their surroundings...I'd pull up beside them as they wrote a report or ate...and they never saw me till I hit my spotlight....they probably never saw you...but as long as OC's been in La....I wouldn't expect trouble...except in NOLA...the anus of America...they make their own rules in that city....when I was a snotnosed kid of 15 in Shreveport...I OCed all over North La and never had a hassle...if you'll notice, the cops that hassle OCers are the ones who are insecure and/or don't know/understand the laws....the real police just don't worry about citizens whose behaviour isn't alarming....

Dustin

imported post

sheepdog wrote:
...all cops aren't as wide awake as you are...I used to sneak up on them on and off duty to teach them to watch their surroundings...I'd pull up beside them as they wrote a report or ate...and they never saw me till I hit my spotlight....they probably never saw you...but as long as OC's been in La....I wouldn't expect trouble...except in NOLA...the anus of America...they make their own rules in that city....when I was a snotnosed kid of 15 in Shreveport...I OCed all over North La and never had a hassle...if you'll notice, the cops that hassle OCers are the ones who are insecure and/or don't know/understand the laws....the real police just don't worry about citizens whose behaviour isn't alarming....

I'll defintely agree with that.

Generaly speaking COPS are a little more in tune than normal civilans, but not nearly as cmuch as citizens who are OC'ing.

Most people don't even notice us packing unless your packing a .44 rem. mag on your hip or you look like this guy,

Just kidding Mark :lol:

But if you carry like this Rarely anyone will say something or even notice. Then again, it might damper the BG Repellent affect.

large_GUN.JPG

sheepdog

imported post

Dang, Earl....Mark's a southpaw!!! Neither would alarm me...now if they were just carrying a .25 or .380, I might worry......

Syntax Error

imported post

sheepdog wrote:
One cop, maybe two in conversation I would agree. But three cops trained in threat/no threat assesment, walking to their cars, as I am walking from mine... I'll take as a positive first encounter :celebrate