• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gonzaga student expelled for possessing guns

Bill Starks

State Researcher
imported post

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/400910_gonzaga21.html?source=rss

SPOKANE -- Gonzaga University has expelled a student who had guns and ammunition in his possession.
The Spokane Fire Department began an investigation Thursday after a Molotov cocktail was found in a university parking lot. That led to the 18-year-old's dorm room where investigators found what they call prohibited items.
Assistant Chief Brian Schaeffer says the student, who is from Portland, is cooperating. He has not been charged.
KXLY-TV reports that Gonzaga sent a memo to faculty and staff saying it expelled the student quickly for campus safety.
------
Information from: KXLY-TV, http://www.kxly.com/

Machoduck

imported post

I should hope he wasn't charged! What law did he violate?

/ Congratulations to the administration for making it clear to us that they place a higher value on feelings than on rights. sarcasm / off.

MD

Vandal

imported post

Here is more info from KHQ in Spokane

[urlhttp://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=9875989][/url]

SPOKANE, Wash. - A freshman at Gonzaga has been expelled from the university after rifles, ammunition and stolen property were discovered inside his dorm room. The Spokane Fire Department's Special Investigation Unit (SIU) received a telephone call from Gonzaga Security about a Molotov cocktail that had been found by a custodian in the parking lot of Catherine-Monica Hall on campus. The device had been secured by GU and taken as evidence.

The subsequent investigation and a tip led to the discovery of similar prohibitive items inside the dorm room of Timothy D. Parker, 18-year-old former GU Student. Throughout the stages of the investigation, the SIU officers secured several items as evidence including stolen firearms and ammunition from an off-campus location.

From what the investigators have determined thus far, it appears that at no time were other students and/or staff in danger from the situation.

Officials say this has been a very dynamic case and is ongoing. The SPD, SFD and Gonzaga Security Staff are working together to complete the investigation. Parker has not yet been charged.

Letter to Gonzaga Campus Community Members

Dear Campus Community Members,

You may be seeing media coverage or hearing about a recent incident at Gonzaga. The University is working cooperatively with Spokane Fire department investigators in an investigation of a student that culminated on Tuesday afternoon. Prohibited items were removed from the student's residence hall room by investigators.

The safety of our students and campus community members is paramount to the University so when information on this incident was received and developed the University acted quickly to deal with the situation. The student involved is no longer at the University. Any other information about the investigation will come from the law enforcement agencies involved.

Sue Weitz, Ph.D.

Vice President for Student Life

Gonzaga University

carhas0

imported post

The student obviously made some mistakes and likely violated his residence hall lease agreement, but he was NOT expelled for possessing the firearms, he was expelled for the thermite and molotov cocktail, according to the original article (the link at the bottom of the OP). Police subsequently discovered the firearms, at least one of which was stolen. Of course the PI headline was pretty clear about why they decided he was expelled...

Edit: After reading the second article posted, it appears the first student was expelled for have firearms in his dorm; the second one was involved in the situation I described above.

royAG46

imported post

DKSuddeth wrote:
molotav cocktail? what the hell was it? a bottle of everclear?
Knowing the guys from the parish I grew up in that are up there, probably.

And to lighten the mood-
I guess the old Jesuits are gone. When my dad was there, some guy came home from hunting to his dorm room with a shotgun. One guy grabbed one of his guns (I'm not quite sure why) and started racking the action, soon there was a guy in every doorway rackingthe action of some type of firearm. The Jesuit who DeSmet wlked onto their floor, laughed and then turned around and walked away. Ahhh- the good old days...