• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC on Whidbey Island today...

tat2ed_guy

imported post

On my way home from NAS. There was a group of guys/gals doing road side cleanup. I only got to see the one man wih a firearm but the first thing I thought of was the groups of guys/gals on here that have done it before. I gave a honk in support but notsure he knew what it was for.....

amlevin

imported post

tat2ed_guy wrote:
On my way home from NAS. There was a group of guys/gals doing road side cleanup. I only got to see the one man wih a firearm but the first thing I thought of was the groups of guys/gals on here that have done it before. I gave a honk in support but notsure he knew what it was for.....

You sure the "group" was not just a work detail from the local Jail? That could account for only one in the group being armed.

There's a group like that that maintains the City Park in my neighborhood.

FMCDH

imported post

amlevin wrote:
You sure the "group" was not just a work detail from the local Jail? That could account for only one in the group being armed.

There's a group like that that maintains the City Park in my neighborhood.
That all depends on what they were wearing...which the OP didn't specify. :?

I think he probably would have noticed if they were all wearing red/orange jump suites and the only person wearing normal clothes or a uniform was the one armed.

tat2ed_guy, where they all wearing civvies?

FMCDH

imported post

joeroket wrote:
The work release inmates that do roadside cleanup do not wear jumpsuits. It could very well have been what he saw.
I didn't realize that. I kind of figured that anytime they were outside of their institution walls they were required to wear a uniform of some sort. If that was the case, take a look for the sign on that stretch of road that says who its sponsored by.

That will clear it up. :)

amlevin

imported post

FMCDH wrote:
joeroket wrote:
The work release inmates that do roadside cleanup do not wear jumpsuits. It could very well have been what he saw.
I didn't realize that. I kind of figured that anytime they were outside of their institution walls they were required to wear a uniform of some sort.
If they are from the "Drunk Squad" they are often just those who are serving their time for DUI or some minor offense. Not usually your Heavy Duty Gangbangers, Child Molesters, Wife Beaters, etc. Also on these minimum security details are those who were busted for using "recreational pharmaceuticals".

FMCDH

imported post

Yep, I knew the "Honor Farms" were only people who were those that were serving sentences for non-violent offenses and usually had less than (60 days?) left on their term, making them a negligible flight risk.

FMCDH

imported post

tat2ed_guy wrote:
They were all in civies. I didnt see the road sign though. Thereare just way tomany construction jobsgoing on on that road to read ALL the signs...
Its always the one you didn't read that gets ya. ;)

Example....Caution Road Ends! 200ft drop!

tat2ed_guy

imported post

NavyLT, I was wondering about OC'ing while doing Command functions. Do you know if there is anything that says we cant do it? Our FCPO Ass. does roadside and was wanting to OC.Im out here at NOPF.

FMCDH

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
tat2ed_guy wrote:
NavyLT, I was wondering about OC'ing while doing Command functions. Do you know if there is anything that says we cant do it? Our FCPO Ass. does roadside and was wanting to OC.Im out here at NOPF.
As long as it is not an event in uniform or on base, I don't know of any regulations against it by any commands on NASWI. Things like the roadside cleanup would be just fine, I would think.
Yep, pretty much. As long as you are representing yourself as a citizen and not as a spokesman for your respective branch or command, you should be fine. Don't wear a uniform or anything specific to your command. I wear generic USCG t-shirts/sweat shirts and the like with no issues.

Any "issued" clothing I would steer clear of wearing. IMO