• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slow & Weak???

Dom

imported post

At 50 yards, any pistol has only minor distraction/annoyance value--nothing more. If you ever hit your target at that range, buy a lottery ticket ASAP.
Bullseye pistol competition is done at 50 yards for slow fire. That's with a .45 and one handed. Obviously they use competition pistols and the target is stationary. Still, the 10 ring is only 3 inches in diameter, a much smaller target than your average primate and good shooters put all 10 shots in the ring. I think getting hit by even a .22 at 50 yards would be a bit more than a distraction.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
At 50 yards, any pistol has only minor distraction/annoyance value--nothing more. If youever hit your target at that range, buy a lottery ticket ASAP.

You need more practice.

I tell you what. You go down range say 100 meters with a catchers mit, and I will send you a few slow fat bullets. When they hit your glove you rate each one as to the annoyance value.

Around here we practice by busting clay targets onfence at 100 meters and I can consistently hit a 6 inch steel plate at 250 meters with my super redhawk. Even at 250 meters a .44 mag will be a lot more than a "minor distraction" to the recipient.

XD40coyote

imported post

I dropped a fox in its tracks with a gold dot .40 to the neck, big entry hole too. Was not spine hit. Must have been some shockwave force going on there. Probably a fluke, but hey I was impressed.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Hawkflyer wrote:
Flyer22 wrote:
At 50 yards, any pistol has only minor distraction/annoyance value--nothing more. If youever hit your target at that range, buy a lottery ticket ASAP.

You need more practice.

I tell you what. You go down range say 100 meters with a catchers mit, and I will send you a few slow fat bullets. When they hit your glove you rate each one as to the annoyance value.

Around here we practice by busting clay targets onfence at 100 meters and I can consistently hit a 6 inch steel plate at 250 meters with my super redhawk. Even at 250 meters a .44 mag will be a lot more than a "minor distraction" to the recipient.
That's great shooting, Hawk. Best I've done with a handgun was a 200 meter shot at a hanging ram with a Super Blackhawk. I have a Redhawk with a 5 1/2" barrel and the Ruger "hunting sights" that is pretty darned accurate.

Best shot I've ever read about was a 600 yard mule deer kill with a .44 Magnum by Elmer Keith. He fired all six rounds, walking his shots in and the last two connected.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SouthernBoy wrote:
That's great shooting, Hawk. Best I've done with a handgun was a 200 meter shot at a hanging ram with a Super Blackhawk. I have a Redhawk with a 5 1/2" barrel and the Ruger "hunting sights" that is pretty darned accurate.

Best shot I've ever read about was a 600 yard mule deer kill with a .44 Magnum by Elmer Keith. He fired all six rounds, walking his shots in and the last two connected.
To be fair my Super Redhawk is scoped, but we still bust a lot of clay with iron sights at 100 Meters. Flipping empty aluminium cans at 50 and 100 Meters is also one of the more common activities here.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

It may have had something to do with the thickness of her skull too. I have witnessed a .38 slug that did not penetrate a persons skull when shot at point blank range.

I worked in a hospital as a sub-contractor, one day working on some equipment in the emergency room Isaw a man get brought into the ER with bandages over the back of his head and he was awake and screaming.
One of the ER doc's and I were firends and he couldn't wait to tell me the details of this patient.

Powder burns were present so this was obviously a point blank shot, the slug flattened on his skull without penetrating it. He required a few stitches and observation for a concussion. He stayed the night and went on his merry way the next day.

Jeff Watts

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
The Auto Ordnance 1911 sitting next to my bed would take your money all day long.;)

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Jeff Watts wrote:
Flyer22 wrote:
The Auto Ordnance 1911 sitting next to my bed would take your money all day long.;)
It occurs to me that in shooting a flyer is a single shot that falls outside a group of shots, frequently missing the target.... Hum. :uhoh: