• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Slow & Weak???

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

So what are you going to carry instead? A .45? A .45 travels slower and has less energy by the time it hits its target, so it probably would have stopped as well. I don't know about a 9mm round. Its higher velocity may have helped, but the lighter mass wouldn't have. It's very likely that the round either ricocheted, or passed through the window glass before finding her head, as well.

Also consider that the back of the skull is relatively thick compared to the front "target area" around the eyes and sinus cavities. The combination of her hair, her skull, her head moving forward, and a possible ricochet could easily absorb the bullet's energy.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

smash29 wrote:
I believe his post was tongue in cheek, Dre.

And if I remember correctlyofficial name is the "40 Short & Weak"....

:p
Oh. lol Ok. :D You know I've ran into a few people that liked to refer to my ammo with that nick name. Oddly enough, every single one of them stopped when I asked if they wanted to participate in the proving or disproving of their theory ;).

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

catass wrote:
when are you guys gonna learn all pistol calibers suck? :p
That's honestly not that far from the truth. Any caliber that can be comfortably fired in a single hand is not going to beas effective at stopping a 200 lb animal, human or otherwise, as a full-sized rifle caliber. There's just not a whole lot of energy there.

FogRider

imported post

DreQo wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
catass wrote:
An AR pistol is just a scosh better. Anyone make a .308 pistol? :?
I'd hate to shoot a .308 without a shoulder support. :D
My dad had a TC Encore with a 16" .308 pistol barrel. It had a built in muzzle brake so it really wasn't to bad to shoot. I've taken a few deer with my 14" 7-30 Waters (ramped up .30-30) on a Contender frame.

jeeper1

imported post

I have been shooting my 708 Remington handgun since 1981 one handed. 139 grain bullet at 2600 FPS and it has less recoil than my super blackhawk.

Hiredgun30

imported post

i like my glock 31 in 357 sig. i carry the 100 grain powerballs .. 1600 fps at 585 ft lbs

i agree with clint smith.. a pistol should be a tool u use toget you to your rifle..

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Oh no, here we go. I can assure everyone of you that even the less exotic ball ammo causes devastation to the human body.

usdm419

imported post

I would still have no worries carrying .38 and up caliber weapons. I carry a .45, but would not hesitate to use a .38spl to defend my life. We're talking typical, close range self defense encounters here. Obviously at 50 yards I'm pretty SOL.

AbNo

imported post

Spectre wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
catass wrote:
An AR pistol is just a scosh better. Anyone make a .308 pistol? :?

.308 no but you can find 7.62x39mm pistols..awesome:lol:
"During the Russian Revolutions and Civil War partisans cut down the barrels and stocks of Mosin Nagants to create a 7.62x54r "pistol" known as an "Obrez"."

:D

Spectre

imported post

AbNo wrote:
Spectre wrote:
eyesopened wrote:
catass wrote:
An AR pistol is just a scosh better.  Anyone make a .308 pistol? :?

.308 no but you can find 7.62x39mm pistols..awesome:lol:
"During the Russian Revolutions and Civil War partisans cut down the barrels and stocks of Mosin Nagants to create a 7.62x54r "pistol" known as an "Obrez"."

I stand corrected ;)...after shooting lots of 7.62x54r all I can say after thinking of a pistol firing that round is a profound "Ouch!" My wrist hurts just thinking of it.

Gordie

imported post

Flyer22 wrote:
At 50 yards, any pistol has only minor distraction/annoyance value--nothing more. If youever hit your target at that range, buy a lottery ticket ASAP.
With just a little practice you can hit a man sized target at 50 yards. It will be more than just a "minor distraction/annoyance". If not, you need to get a better gun.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

AbNo wrote:

Obrez of course being a Russian word meaning dislocated wrist.