• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

walmart

gunman

imported post

Tried to oc at walmart today was asked to leave as soon as i hit the door.when i asked why they said we dont allow guns.i asked open or concealed they said neither is allowed i told them they would be suprized at how many law abiding citizens carry guns and that it is totally legal,then left.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gunman wrote:
Tried to oc at walmart today was asked to leave as soon as i hit the door.when i asked why they said we dont allow guns.i asked open or concealed they said neither is allowed i told them they would be suprized at how many law abiding citizens carry guns and that it is totally legal,then left.

Walmart's corporate policy is to follow local laws. So if it's legal to openly carry where the walmart is, then it's ok in their store. You should follow up with management.

suntzu

imported post

gunman wrote:
Who asked you to leave? Was it a door greeter, an hourly employee, a member of loss prevention or management?

Only a member of management has the authority to throw you out of a walmart--no other walmart employee has the ability, or the authority, not even their loss prevention employees--at least AFAIK.

KBCraig

imported post

I hope you follow up with the store manager, regional manager, and Bentonville. Whomever you spoke with was misinformed about Wal Mart policies.

captainamerica

imported post

Somewhere I've seen thephoneand e-mail of corporate Wal Mart that puts a stop to the anti CCW and OC stupidity their stores feel compelled to do from time to time. I will look and see if I can find anything. I've read corporate is very receptive and sensitive to rogue stupidity at their stores that goes against laws in the state the store is in. This surprises me a lot.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

gunman wrote:
I opened carried at a Walmart in St. Joe while visiting my grandparents and didn't have a problem.

SDguy

imported post

I have a close relative who works at Walmart and has for 6 years now. He claims that it is Walmart corporatepolicy to abide by state and local gun laws.

I have seen this same policy stated by others who claim to have asked Walmart corporate for clarification.

garymc

imported post

I'm not saying this because I know for a fact, but I think I remember reading about similar adventures at Walmart and other stores, even stores that sell guns. What usually happens if it is traced to the source is that the store has a policy that employees cannot carry, concealed or open. Then an employee only remembers that the company he works for thinks guns in the store are bad. And they act on their confused idea of company policy. As long as it doesn't get straightened out it will continue.