• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Muskogeephoenix.com blasts your right to open carry!

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Newspaper editorial does not note that the S. Ct. has said no license may be required to run a newspaper, nor do they note that the license to carry handguns issued by OK does not allow open carry!

--

http://www.muskogeephoenix.com/opinion/local_story_051162307.html?keyword=topstory

Shoot down gun law

The proposed Open Carry bill is unnecessary.

State Rep. Mike Ritze, R-Broken Arrow, says that his Open Carry proposal is needed to eliminate “gun restrictions” that he sees “as unreasonably restrictive.” So Ritze is proposing that Oklahomans be able to carry a gun around with them all the time, openly, without a handgun license.

The law currently allows anyone not convicted of a crime to carry an unloaded, visible rifle, shotgun or pistol to hunt, to a gun class, sporting event or police or military function without a handgun license.

But how unreasonably restrictive is that?

If a person wants to carry a gun, they can carry one when they need it. If people feel they need a gun any other time, they can get a license. A license is not unreasonable. We make people get licenses for operating many other potentially dangerous equipment and machinery.

There are many good reasons for registering guns and gun owners.

Some, like Ritze, will say if you oppose them, you oppose the Second Amendment. That’s a false argument.

Every right includes restrictions for public safety, and many safety concerns regarding guns are valid.

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Mike, you think that this is crazy, how about Blair Holts act, HR45 "LICENSING AND RECORD of SALE ACT2009. It is now in Committee in the U.S.House of Representatives. You have got to read it to believe it-I've already contacted the NRA but havent heard anything from them as of yet. It will give the Govt the right to "INSPECT" your residence at their will to determine if a child could get to them-if they think so, you could be fined with 5 years in Prison! If all of the NRA members on this site will contact the NRA and their reps then maybe we can be ready-Blair Holt snuck this one in!! You would also be at their mercy to be deemed "MENTALLY COMPETENT" at their will also! it would also cost you-the gun owner $25.00 for "Transfer"to someone else should you sell it! Read the Article at www.opencongress.org remember to vote after registerring also!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I'd like for this Writer to cite even one Right protected by the Bill of Rights that has suffered the degree of 'reasonable' restrictions that the 2nd has. The 2nd Amendment is virtually non-existent already.

And what risk does a ban on open carry avert? Writer cites nothing. Just the unspoken implication that there is 'some problem.' Wooo, is the writer afraid of the boogie man, too? Maybe the sky is falling?

Same old empty rhetoric we've heard before.

It's not a problem in the 44 other states that 'allow' [aka respect the right] it in one form or another.

So far, not one human being has been able to step forward with a response to the question: "Why not?" Just a bunch of baseless fear-mongering and empty rhetoric.

jarodm20

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

ixtow wrote:
I'd like for this Writer to cite even one Right protected by the Bill of Rights that has suffered the degree of 'reasonable' restrictions that the 2nd has. The 2nd Amendment is virtually non-existent already.

And what risk does a ban on open carry avert? Writer cites nothing. Just the unspoken implication that there is 'some problem.' Wooo, is the writer afraid of the boogie man, too? Maybe the sky is falling?

Same old empty rhetoric we've heard before.

It's not a problem in the 44 other states that 'allow' [aka respect the right] it in one form or another.

So far, not one human being has been able to step forward with a response to the question: "Why not?" Just a bunch of baseless fear-mongering and empty rhetoric.
well put, very well put

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

ixtow wrote:

I can tell you about one state that has legal open carry provisions, but they law enforcement community does not respect that right at all!

And the states Attorney General refuses to issue a decision, so we are all in limbo here! yes it is legal to open carry, but there is a very great chance we will get arrested whole exercising that right, and instead of the prosecution proving your guilt beyond a shadow of a doubt, you are charged with tryng to prove your innocence to the 9th degreeinstead! then when it is all done and over, you are out several thousands of dollars in defense and time, your gun is kept by the arresting city and you might get it back after it is damaged beyond use, or lost in their evidence locker.

the people of the great State of Wisconsin are a little upset about all this, and are looking for means to get this issues settled once and for all.

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Rights require no permit or license in the free and lawful exercise thereof. Rights are not granted by government... They are recognized as a pre-existing condition to be defended and protected by government. The writer of that piece makes a VERY false argument.

I enjoy and execise that Right here... everyday, w/o impairment IAW the AZ Constitution and that of the US. This moron obviously has never considered 'self defense' as a reason to OC.

dclabounty

imported post

This is my old hometown paper. We called it the Muskogee Daily Disappointment.

ETA - If you click on the "discuss this topic" link, 4 out of the 5 comments are pro 2A.

FMCDH

imported post

Cowboy_Rick wrote:
Mike, you think that this is crazy, how about Blair Holts act, HR45 "LICENSING AND RECORD of SALE ACT2009. It is now in Committee in the U.S.House of Representatives...
And doesn't have a single co-sponsor. Every rep I have corresponded with will not touch this one with a 50ft pole.

The NRA probably isn't addressing it because they don't want to give it any legitimacy by acknowledging its existence. Who can explain why the NRA does anything.

What people should be concentrating their energy toward is backing HR 17 and pushing their reps and corporate conglomerates (i.e. NRA) to back it.
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h111-17

Alexcabbie

imported post

D'Ya imagine Merle Haggard is STILL proud to be an "Okie from Muskogee"?

[align=center]"We don't carry firearms in Muskogee.[/align]
[align=center]We're all Sheeple who obey the Law,[/align]
[align=center]Everything we do requires a license,[/align]
[align=center]But we don't mind, 'cause Government's our Ma.[/align]

Anyboy else got some more verses? Let's write 'em and send 'em in!:celebrate

imported post

Cowboy_Rick wrote:
Mike, you think that this is crazy, how about Blair Holts act, HR45 "LICENSING AND RECORD of SALE ACT2009. It is now in Committee in the U.S.House of Representatives. You have got to read it to believe it-I've already contacted the NRA but havent heard anything from them as of yet. It will give the Govt the right to "INSPECT" your residence at their will to determine if a child could get to them-if they think so, you could be fined with 5 years in Prison! If all of the NRA members on this site will contact the NRA and their reps then maybe we can be ready-Blair Holt snuck this one in!! You would also be at their mercy to be deemed "MENTALLY COMPETENT" at their will also! it would also cost you-the gun owner $25.00 for "Transfer"to someone else should you sell it! Read the Article at http://www.opencongress.org remember to vote after registerring also!
I wouldn't want to try and hold my breath until the NRA comes out emphatically in opposition to this bill. Remember how they were on the fence about Sotomayor until on Thursday before the committee vote was to be on Tuesday. Real tough representation of the millions of us gun owners in this country. No, this isn't just sour grapes. I am a member of the NRA.

NightOwl

imported post

ixtow wrote:
I'm not that writer, but I'll give it a go. If you cuss on tv, that's a pretty hefty fine by the FCC. Is that not the 1st Amendment? I'd go so far as to say that the 1st is pretty heavily curtailed by the FCC.

JohnK87

imported post

That's a good analogy. Broadcast TV operates under a license issued by the government. Licensing requirements allow the government to regulate the content of what is broadcast over public airwaves, but not what is done privately. Therefore, the FCC can regulate/punish what a shock jock does on FM radio, but NOT what he does on Sirius.

If you license the firearm holder, you are able to regulate what he does with it.

justgreg

imported post

Call them, and ask the editor and writers where they're from!

Here in McAlester, the editor is from CA, the City Editor is from CA, the owner is from CA, and they purport a CA-ban-it-all-what-are-these-nutty-people-think-they're-doing-OMG-its-a-gun mindset.

You'll find the Phoenix is also full of CA people in top positions. Last I checked it was all-but-two editors were from CA.

I forgot to mention the obvious hazard of carrying an unloaded gun openly...its like having a "take me" sign on your back!

G.