• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lets turn up the heat

ourmanthejoker

imported post

Okay, so I want to go a step further. I already OC in the Palmdale-lancaster-rosamond-mojave-cal city loop.

I'm thinking of posting flyers, leaving pamphlets, etc down near AV college, the palmdale mall areas, some neighborhoods, the wall mart and so on/so forth.

It seems to me from most of my conversation that people are just totally unaware of their rights.

Is there anyone here that is fairly computer savvy that could forge some fliers and or postables?

I've got the printing tools, just not the computer-artism

(yes I made a couple words up there)

-david

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

I dont think there is any need to leaflet the general public to advancethe cause.

Id like to think that acceptance is gained through quiet, persistant exposure rather than proselytizing everyone we come into contact with. We have a very narrow audience in California that begins with current gunowners and ends in fence sitters. Beyond the fence is the vast array of those who oppose the 2nd amendment. It has been my experience that you cannot just hand someone a peice of information and force them to come along.

The simpler and more effective approach, is to set the example and encourage those who are interested to learn more. I would say that if you had a specific group of firearms owners to target- this may be valuable to them. But you may engender skepticism by pushing the issue among those who havent had a chance to make up their minds.

ourmanthejoker

imported post

So what would you suggest other than simply open carry and chatting with those who have questions?

I heard some folks do trash pick-ups and things of that sort.

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

I think the more the better when it comes to exposing people to liberty. I think handing out pamphlets is an excellent tool, especially since it's something that can be done while not wearing a gun (good to get word out in those 'safe' zones too).

The one thing I would discourage is leafleting cars. I view this as vandalism and littering. (I hate finding shit on my car!)

Now, here's some ideas I think are great approaches to info distribution:

1) volunteering and public service - E.g. trash pickups

2) petition booth - Sign up for permission to set up a petition table in front of Wal-Mart. Do some research and throw together a petition, maybe something as simple as asking our legislature to repeal 12031 or 626.9. The purpose isn't so much the petition, but the opportunity to distribute information and start dialogue.

3) speak at city council meetings and mail or deliver flyers to as many police departments, sherriff departments, DAs, city attorneys, etc as you can.

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Thank you for your enthusiasm.

I second CA Lib's recommendations.
The peaceful and uneventful exposure of the general public to law-abiding citizens carrying firearms will be our best PR.

Are you already carrying the "Open Carry Fliers" that are posted here? Seek every opportunity to put one of those into the hands of curious citizens.

AyatollahGondola

imported post

ConditionThree wrote:
I dont think there is any need to leaflet the general public to advancethe cause.

Id like to think that acceptance is gained through quiet, persistant exposure rather than proselytizing everyone we come into contact with. We have a very narrow audience in California that begins with current gunowners and ends in fence sitters. Beyond the fence is the vast array of those who oppose the 2nd amendment. It has been my experience that you cannot just hand someone a peice of information and force them to come along.

The simpler and more effective approach, is to set the example and encourage those who are interested to learn more. I would say that if you had a specific group of firearms owners to target- this may be valuable to them. But you may engender skepticism by pushing the issue among those who havent had a chance to make up their minds.
Ah....wasn't there a billboard thingy somewhere that reached out to the general public?

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

AyatollahGondola wrote:
Ah....wasn't there a billboard thingy somewhere that reached out to the general public?

Yes, indeed I do recall an 8'X16" rolling billboard making its way through the streets of our State Capital. Would be great to have at an organized meet ALA the San Diego outing.

Not too sure how practical it would be to put in my back pocket though.

prcE6

imported post

You know, I was actually thinking of putting an ad in SNR or the local Pennysaver or something just to make people say, "What's that all about". Just a few lines like on Mudcamper's business cards and maybe a couple of URL's.

Since these publications are already in circulation, I thought it might be worth a few bucks to let them do the leg work for me.

I know, I know.. I'm lazy.:)

ConditionThree

State Pioneer
imported post

PRC-E6 wrote:
You know, I was actually thinking of putting an ad in SNR or the local Pennysaver or something just to make people say, "What's that all about". Just a few lines like on Mudcamper's business cards and maybe a couple of URL's.

Since these publications are already in circulation, I thought it might be worth a few bucks to let them do the leg work for me.

I know, I know.. I'm lazy.:)

There is an unfortunate side-effect to widespread advertizing. When you advertize outside your target audience you also attract those who oppose our point of view. And forevery singlededicated 2A proponent in California there are 5 lefitist, Che loving, granola crunching, Rosie O'donnell disciples hoping to make the entire state a gun-free zone.

'Pennysaver' ad, while cheap, will not market exclusively to gun advocates. Maybe 'Shotgun News'... or other firearm oriented publication. I have dropped the flyers off at pawn shops and gun stores.

prcE6

imported post

Good point.... glad I threw it out there before wasting time/effort.

bigtoe416

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Che loving, but gun hating. It's weird how that makes sense in a weird perverted logic sense but then totally does not make sense at the same time.