Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where Can You OC Your HandGun

Post imported post

I live in Danville Va. and I know i can OC, I'm 20 year's old and just got my 1st handgun and started to OC, and I was looking ALL OVER to see where I can OC and where I can't B/C I dont want to hurt my RIGHT's nor Other's, I seen on the VCDL.org where it tell's you what Stores, Mall's, Rest., and BANK's dont allow ANY handguns, the list did not have my bank on it, so i wint into my Bank OC my hand gun no worker's said any thing to me, But a OLD GUY did, he said i had to be a cop to carry one in ANY BANK. I want to see if some one can give a LIST of places where you can carry, NOT NAMES, just like (yes you can carry into a bank,stores,park,) youknowlike that, This is NOT JUST FOR ME this can help alot OTHER's, So PLZ. HELP. Thank You, Fire_Man2340

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

fire_man2340 wrote:
    I live in Danville Va. and I know i can OC, I'm 20 year's old and just got my 1st handgun and started to OC, and I was looking ALL OVER to see where I can OC and where I can't B/C I dont want to hurt my RIGHT's nor Other's, I seen on the VCDL.org where it tell's you what Stores, Mall's, Rest., and BANK's dont allow ANY handguns, the list did not have my bank on it, so i wint into my Bank OC my hand gun no worker's said any thing to me, But a OLD GUY did, he said i had to be a cop to carry one in ANY BANK. I want to see if some one can give a LIST of places where you can carry, NOT NAMES, just like (yes you can carry into a bank,stores,park,) you like that, This is NOT JUST FOR ME this can help alot OTHER's, So PLZ. HELP. Thank You, Fire_Man2340

Welcome to OCDO!!!

I don't have handy the lists of prohibited places--jails, schools, courthouses, etc. So, I'll have to let others do it who can cite the law and provide links where you can see the law for yourself.

Otherwise, there is no law that tells you where you can open carry. Fundamentally, if something is not prohibited by law, it is presumed legal.

Our favorite example is that there is no law allowing you to wear a red shirt. Its just that since it isn't illegal to wear a red shirt, its presumed legal.

You really want to get a hold of the list of prohibited places before you carry again. You do not, repeat, do not want to accidentally carry into a prohibited place.

As you go along, I recommend you learn your 4th and 5th Amendment rights. And buy a voice-recorder at your first opportunity.

4th Amendment rights starting point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

5th Amendment rights starting point: http://www.regent.edu/admin/media/schlaw/LawPreview/

VA law that covers making recording of a conversation between you and someone else:

2. It shall not be a criminal offense under this chapter for a person to intercept a wire, electronic or oral communication, where such person is a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...00+cod+19.2-62
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

There is no such thing as a list of places where you are ALLOWED to carry. There is, however, a list of places you CANNOT carry, enumerated in law. If it is not on the list of prohibited places, you may carry there.

Welcome to OCDO. Join VCDL.

From the VCDL wallet sized info card:

Places where carrying is prohibited

• Federal property (concealed w/CHP and hunting exempted in National Forests)
    • General Assembly Buildings (Open or Concealed OK for CHP holders only) (JRC rule)
    • State Parks (concealed w/CHP legal but open prohibited)
    • Virginia Commonwealth University (8VAC90-10-50)
    • George Mason University (8VAC35-60-20)
    • Courthouses (18.2-283-1)
    • Detention Facilities (15.2-915)
    • K-12 school property (unless unloaded, in a closed container, and in a motor vehicle). CHP holders may possess a loaded, concealed handgun while in a vehicle (18.2-308.1)
    • K-12 school buses (18.2-308.1)
    • Property used exclusively for K-12 school sponsored functions (18.2-308.1)
    • Air carrier airport terminal buildings (18.2-287.01)
    • Places of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held "without good and sufficient reason" (18.2-283)
    • Restaurants & clubs serving alcohol for on premises consumption (concealed carry prohibited, open carry NOT prohibited, owners & employees exempted) (18.2-308.J3)
    • Private property when prohibited by owner (18.2-308.0)

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

That wallet-sized card from VCDL is available in their newsletter each issue. Go to www.vcdl.org, click on newsletter, and select an issue (after last June, since it changed slightly then).

It's usually on pages 5-6, and positioned so you can cut it out to put in your wallet.

Or if you get to a gun show, they have small green cards with the information.

Welcome to open carry and OCDO!
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Didn't that CC ban in restaraunts just get shot down? Or is this an out of date list?

Post imported post

It either passed out of committee or out of one house. Don't remember which right now. It has to pass out of both houses and be signed into law by the Gov (fat chance) before it becomes law. New laws take effect in the following July.

The list is from the latest July 1, 08 to June 30, 09 VCDL green wallet card.

Post imported post

Ah, I see. So even in the event that it gets through, it still wouldn't apply until July.

Post imported post

I hate to sound stupid but what dose "CHP Holders" mean.

Post imported post

concealed handgun permit. There are no stupid questions.

Post imported post

oh ok thank you, ifyou already went threw the Hunter's Safety class, other then asking the court for a CHP, is there any thing els you have to get a CHP, B/C that's all my farther had to do?

Post imported post

Thank You, you are very helpful

Post imported post

I didn't see anyone address your statement that an "old guy" told you that you had to be a cop to carry in any bank. This is simply untrue, as you may notice, banks are not on any list of prohibited places, and many folks here regularly carry into their banks.

Having said that, just as with any other business, home, or privately owned property, the owner of that property might not want you to carry while you are there, and you must respect their request. Some banks are certainly of that mind, and do have signs to that effect posted at their doors.

There are debates about whether or not a simple sign serves as sufficient "notice" with regard to subjecting you to a charge of trespassing, but from nearly all cases that have been discussed here, if they ask you to leave and you comply directly, then that will likely be the end of it.

TFred

Post imported post

Thank You very much you are very helpful,

Post imported post

I have not seen a bank that didn't have some kind of "no guns" sign on the door. I still open carry and have never had a problem, I would leave if asked and would not argue about it.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Resqu2 wrote:
    I have not seen a bank that didn't have some kind of "no guns" sign on the door.
    There are plenty
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Post imported post

ed wrote:
    Resqu2 wrote:
    I have not seen a bank that didn't have some kind of "no guns" sign on the door.
    There are plenty
    I remember a VCDL update about someone OCing in a Suntrust and someone that was most likely up to no good came in and show him and ran.
    "Capitalism and communism stand at opposite poles. Their essential difference is this: The communist, seeing the rich man and his fine home, says: 'No man should have so much.' The capitalist, seeing the same thing, says: 'All men should have as much.'"- Phelps Adams

Post imported post

Resqu2 wrote:
    I have not seen a bank that didn't have some kind of "no guns" sign on the door. I still open carry and have never had a problem, I would leave if asked and would not argue about it.
    In my experience in VA, and this is by no means a complete list...

Anti-gun banks (posted gunbusters signs):

Wachovia

BB&T

Banks that don't care:

Bank of America

Guess which ones stay in the news for getting robbed?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Post imported post

Hokie wrote:
    I remember a VCDL update about someone OCing in a Suntrust and someone that was most likely up to no good came in and show him and ran.
    I seem to recall that it was PVC himself that had that happen...

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

kle wrote:
    Hokie wrote:
    I seem to recall that it was PVC himself that had that happen...
    No. Not quite that high. It was God.

It was a SunTrust bank in Hopewell, the Monday after Christmas. It was unseasonably warm.

OCer was the first in the door when they opened. He was at the teller window, attention on his business, when a fella walked in (ski mask and/or heavy jacket if I recall). The guy took one look at the OCer and bolted out the door. Ran.

Actually it was the tellers who first realized what had just happened.

The story is probably floating around in the VCDL archives. It would be dated something like late Dec. 2006. Maybe 2007.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Alexandria, Fairfax County, Virginia, USA

Post imported post

Here's the story: It was Dennis O'Connor
    Laws alone can not secure freedom of expression; in order that every man present his views without penalty there must be spirit of tolerance in the entire population. -Albert Einstein

Post imported post

Regarding banks. I have OC at the BOA on Williamsburg Rdand had NO problems and there is NO sign posted. The other BOA is the one downtown. There are NO signs, but there was a security guard who confonted me twice. Each time I asked him to get the mgr to resolve. The mgr never showed up, but the security guard went about his business and left me alone. There was never a third time!

Gunny

Post imported post

fire_man2340 wrote:
    Fire_man -

I would like to cautiously welcome you to the group. I would gently encourage you to pay attention to your grammar and spelling though. You don't have to be a doctor of the english langauge to participate on the forum but it does help to get the easy words right. Many people read this board, and some of those people have a perception that we are all back woods hill billies, not the educated and articulate citizens that we are. Be careful at how much you abbreviate and use texting slang, not everyone will understand what you are trying to say. As in the 1800's your written communication to the outside world (this forum) is our only insight into who you as a person are until someone actually meets you in person. Think about how your writing impacts people's perception of who you are.

Just some friendly advice, I would hate for someone to label you as something you are not based on what you have written so far. Open carry and the 2nd Amendment have alot of enemies, and believe it or not, they read what we write.

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    fire_man2340 wrote:
    Fire_man -

I would like to cautiously welcome you to the group. I would gently encourage you to pay attention to your grammar and spelling though. You don't have to be a doctor of the english langauge to participate on the forum but it does help to get the easy words right. Many people read this board, and some of those people have a perception that we are all back woods hill billies, not the educated and articulate citizens that we are. Be careful at how much you abbreviate and use texting slang, not everyone will understand what you are trying to say. As in the 1800's your written communication to the outside world (this forum) is our only insight into who you as a person are until someone actually meets you in person. Think about how your writing impacts people's perception of who you are.

Just some friendly advice, I would hate for someone to label you as something you are not based on what you have written so far. Open carry and the 2nd Amendment have alot of enemies, and believe it or not, they read what we write.
    +1, and very well said bohdi....
    James Reynolds

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor - Pistol, Shotgun, Home Firearms Safety, Refuse To Be A Victim
    Concealed Firearms Instructor for Virginia, Florida & Utah permits.
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    Sabre Red Pepper Spray Instructor
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Instructor Bio - http://proactiveshooters.com/about-us/

Post imported post

bohdi wrote:
    Open carry and the 2nd Amendment have alot of enemies, and believe it or not, they read what we write.
    And likely keep hard copies of it because they never know when they might get the opportunity to use some or all of it against us.

That's how dedicated some of the more despicable liberty-destroying Marxists in this country are.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast