• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where Can You OC Your HandGun

fire_man2340

imported post

I live in Danville Va. and I know i can OC, I'm 20 year's old and just got my 1st handgun and started to OC, and I was looking ALL OVER to see where I can OC and where I can't B/C I dont want to hurt my RIGHT's nor Other's, I seen on the VCDL.org where it tell's you what Stores, Mall's, Rest., and BANK's dont allow ANY handguns, the list did not have my bank on it, so i wint into my Bank OC my hand gun no worker's said any thing to me, But a OLD GUY did, he said i had to be a cop to carry one in ANY BANK. I want to see if some one can give a LIST of places where you can carry, NOT NAMES, just like (yes you can carry into a bank,stores,park,) youknowlike that, This is NOT JUST FOR ME this can help alot OTHER's, So PLZ. HELP. Thank You, Fire_Man2340:D

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

fire_man2340 wrote:
I live in Danville Va. and I know i can OC, I'm 20 year's old and just got my 1st handgun and started to OC, and I was looking ALL OVER to see where I can OC and where I can't B/C I dont want to hurt my RIGHT's nor Other's, I seen on the VCDL.org where it tell's you what Stores, Mall's, Rest., and BANK's dont allow ANY handguns, the list did not have my bank on it, so i wint into my Bank OC my hand gun no worker's said any thing to me, But a OLD GUY did, he said i had to be a cop to carry one in ANY BANK. I want to see if some one can give a LIST of places where you can carry, NOT NAMES, just like (yes you can carry into a bank,stores,park,) you like that, This is NOT JUST FOR ME this can help alot OTHER's, So PLZ. HELP. Thank You, Fire_Man2340:D

Welcome to OCDO!!!

I don't have handy the lists of prohibited places--jails, schools, courthouses, etc. So, I'll have to let others do it who can cite the law and provide links where you can see the law for yourself.

Otherwise, there is no law that tells you where you can open carry. Fundamentally, if something is not prohibited by law, it is presumed legal.

Our favorite example is that there is no law allowing you to wear a red shirt. Its just that since it isn't illegal to wear a red shirt, its presumed legal.

You really want to get a hold of the list of prohibited places before you carry again. You do not, repeat, do not want to accidentally carry into a prohibited place.

As you go along, I recommend you learn your 4th and 5th Amendment rights. And buy a voice-recorder at your first opportunity.

4th Amendment rights starting point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqMjMPlXzdA

5th Amendment rights starting point: http://www.regent.edu/admin/media/schlaw/LawPreview/

VA law that covers making recording of a conversation between you and someone else:

2. It shall not be a criminal offense under this chapter for a person to intercept a wire, electronic or oral communication, where such person is a party to the communication or one of the parties to the communication has given prior consent to such interception.

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-62

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

There is no such thing as a list of places where you are ALLOWED to carry. There is, however, a list of places you CANNOT carry, enumerated in law. If it is not on the list of prohibited places, you may carry there.

Welcome to OCDO. Join VCDL.

From the VCDL wallet sized info card:

Places where carrying is prohibited

• Federal property (concealed w/CHP and hunting exempted in National Forests)
  • General Assembly Buildings (Open or Concealed OK for CHP holders only) (JRC rule)
  • State Parks (concealed w/CHP legal but open prohibited)
  • Virginia Commonwealth University (8VAC90-10-50)
  • George Mason University (8VAC35-60-20)
  • Courthouses (18.2-283-1)
  • Detention Facilities (15.2-915)
  • K-12 school property (unless unloaded, in a closed container, and in a motor vehicle). CHP holders may possess a loaded, concealed handgun while in a vehicle (18.2-308.1)
  • K-12 school buses (18.2-308.1)
  • Property used exclusively for K-12 school sponsored functions (18.2-308.1)
  • Air carrier airport terminal buildings (18.2-287.01)
  • Places of worship while a meeting for religious purposes is being held "without good and sufficient reason" (18.2-283)
  • Restaurants & clubs serving alcohol for on premises consumption (concealed carry prohibited, open carry NOT prohibited, owners & employees exempted) (18.2-308.J3)
  • Private property when prohibited by owner (18.2-308.0)

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

That wallet-sized card from VCDL is available in their newsletter each issue. Go to www.vcdl.org, click on newsletter, and select an issue (after last June, since it changed slightly then).

It's usually on pages 5-6, and positioned so you can cut it out to put in your wallet.

Or if you get to a gun show, they have small green cards with the information.

Welcome to open carry and OCDO!

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

It either passed out of committee or out of one house. Don't remember which right now. It has to pass out of both houses and be signed into law by the Gov (fat chance) before it becomes law. New laws take effect in the following July.

The list is from the latest July 1, 08 to June 30, 09 VCDL green wallet card.

fire_man2340

imported post

oh ok thank you, ifyou already went threw the Hunter's Safety class, other then asking the court for a CHP, is there any thing els you have to get a CHP, B/C that's all my farther had to do?

TFred

imported post

I didn't see anyone address your statement that an "old guy" told you that you had to be a cop to carry in any bank. This is simply untrue, as you may notice, banks are not on any list of prohibited places, and many folks here regularly carry into their banks.

Having said that, just as with any other business, home, or privately owned property, the owner of that property might not want you to carry while you are there, and you must respect their request. Some banks are certainly of that mind, and do have signs to that effect posted at their doors.

There are debates about whether or not a simple sign serves as sufficient "notice" with regard to subjecting you to a charge of trespassing, but from nearly all cases that have been discussed here, if they ask you to leave and you comply directly, then that will likely be the end of it.

TFred

Resqu2

imported post

I have not seen a bank that didn't have some kind of "no guns" sign on the door. I still open carry and have never had a problem, I would leave if asked and would not argue about it.

Hokie

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

ed wrote:
Resqu2 wrote:
I have not seen a bank that didn't have some kind of "no guns" sign on the door.
There are plenty
I remember a VCDL update about someone OCing in a Suntrust and someone that was most likely up to no good came in and show him and ran.

paramedic70002

imported post

Resqu2 wrote:
I have not seen a bank that didn't have some kind of "no guns" sign on the door. I still open carry and have never had a problem, I would leave if asked and would not argue about it.
In my experience in VA, and this is by no means a complete list...

Anti-gun banks (posted gunbusters signs):

Wachovia

BB&T

Banks that don't care:

Bank of America

Guess which ones stay in the news for getting robbed?

kle

imported post

Hokie wrote:
I remember a VCDL update about someone OCing in a Suntrust and someone that was most likely up to no good came in and show him and ran.
I seem to recall that it was PVC himself that had that happen...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kle wrote:
Hokie wrote:
I seem to recall that it was PVC himself that had that happen...

No. Not quite that high. It was God. :)

It was a SunTrust bank in Hopewell, the Monday after Christmas. It was unseasonably warm.

OCer was the first in the door when they opened. He was at the teller window, attention on his business, when a fella walked in (ski mask and/or heavy jacket if I recall). The guy took one look at the OCer and bolted out the door. Ran.

Actually it was the tellers who first realized what had just happened.

The story is probably floating around in the VCDL archives. It would be dated something like late Dec. 2006. Maybe 2007.