• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Hoppy's Restaurant, Manassas Airport for Breakfast

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Going to Hoppy's for breakfast after running errands this morning. It's located on the second floor of the Volo building.

Any local fly-boys happen to know if the Volo building is considered an "Air carrier airport terminal building" ??

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Nelson_Muntz wrote:
Going to Hoppy's for breakfast after running errands this morning. It's located on the second floor of the Volo building.

Any local fly-boys happen to know if the Volo building is considered an "Air carrier airport terminal building" ??

HEF (Manassas) is not an "Air-Carrier" airport.

Ed

(flyboyed@aol.com)

http://www.vcdl.org/aircarrier.html

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks Ed. Got your post just as we pulled into the parking lot. We had a great breakfast with great views. No gawks or problems.

BTW Ed, Colgan Air and Chantilly Air are not considered Air carriers? Guess it depends on the gov't definition?

IanB

imported post

Not sure how large those two carriers are... It seems that VA only restricts larger airports which have major airlines, security screenings, etc. Do Colgan and Chantilly Air have security screening to board the plane? Xray machines?

Why Lynchburg municipal is on there baffles me.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

From the VCDL website........

[align=center][font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]Virginia Citizens Defense League, Inc., P.O. Box 513, Newington, VA 22122 • 804-639-0600[/font][/align]

[font="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"]What is an "Air Carrier" Airport?[/font]

Air Carrier Airports

Virginia has 72 airports. Only 9 of these 72 airports are classified as "air carrier airports" and are thus affected by the gun ban in §18.2-287.01.

An email from the Office of the Governor, dated June 3, 2004, identified the following as the "air carrier airports" in Virginia:

Reagan National
Arlington, VA

Charlottesville Regional
Charlottesville, VA

Dulles International
Chantilly, VA

Lynchburg Municipal
Lynchburg, VA

Newport News . Williamsburg Regional
Newport News, VA

Norfolk International
Norfolk, VA

Richmond International
Richmond, VA

Roanoke Regional
Roanoke, VA

Shenandoah Valley Regional
Staunton, VA

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks Pro. I did read that, but didn't understand how they designate them as such. Major airlines only I suppose, and regional ones are not included.

1CITIZEN

imported post

It's probably too late to be of use today, but Manassas (HEF) does not have scheduled airline operations as defined by FAR Part 121 or 135. Colgan air is a Part 121 carrier, but they don't conduct scheduled flights out of Manassas. I am not sure of the status of Chantilly Air. I know it is not a Part 121 or 135 carrier, but it may come under Part 125 consideration, and if so, Federal law would apply. The prime consideration is what Virginia and Federal law allow and prohibit. Federal law prohibits carrying a weapon (including guns) through a security checkpoint. Virginia law prohibits carrying guns into air carrier (Part 121 and 135) terminals. There are nine Virginia airports with scheduled airline operations, and you can't carry guns into their terminals. Manassas is not one of these airports. Manassas is owned/run by the City of Manassas, so Virginia state law applies.

You should be aware that many airports in Virginia are privately owned, so some may prohibit guns.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Thanks 1citizen. Welcome to OCDO.

We had a great b'fast there this morning. Bright and clear. Perfect view of the GA coming and going. Good service. One person in a party of 12 there was staring at my wife "Lisa".We figured they must have thought she was someone quasi famous that might have neededsecurity.The older woman scanned me as I excused myself to the WC.

If I can get my pre-teen outta the sack I think maybe we'll have lunch there on Sunday, the 22nd.

occva

imported post

nakedshoplifter wrote:

Why Lynchburg municipal is on there baffles me.

I am going to have to check into this. I carry at Lynchburg airport at least once a week. I am on the municipal side not where the airlines are.

1CITIZEN

imported post

US Airways Express serves Lynchburg; I think Delta Connection does too, and maybe American Eagle as well, but I am not sure of that. The terminal that serves the airlines is the only location you are prohibited from entering while carrying.

The General Aviation areas are not a restricted area relative to Virginia law, and since the airport is owned by the City of Lynchburg,I believe the FBO's are required to observe the State of Virginia rules regarding carrying.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

1CITIZEN wrote:
US Airways Express serves Lynchburg; I think Delta Connection does too, and maybe American Eagle as well, but I am not sure of that. The terminal that serves the airlines is the only location you are prohibited from entering while carrying.

The General Aviation areas are not a restricted area relative to Virginia law, and since the airport is owned by the City of Lynchburg,I believe the FBO's are required to observe the State of Virginia rules regarding carrying.
+1

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It surprises me that Shenandoah Valley Regional is on this list and Manassas is not. I fly into Shenandoah often and there is a scheduled service from there, but there are scheduled services from Manassas too.

I am aware that the regulations are based in FAR Part 121 or 135 operations as stated before, but Colgan does fly passenger service from Manassas, not just on a regular schedule.

In any case, even if there is a security screening area at a terminal, so long as you do not try to enter the sanitary area with a weapon you are still legal. There are other regulations local to any particular terminal that may impact on this, but you do have the right to transport a firearm in checked baggage, and you have to be able to get that weapon to into the terminal to check it. In most cases you can legally carry outside the sanitized areas, but check the particular airport first.

This stuff has always fascinated me, because the recommended survival pack for aircraft in wilderness areas includes a firearm. In Alaska the firearm used to be required, but now it is optional.But since a flight can originate from many locations that have no restrictions what so ever, and arrive on the runway side of the security checkpoint at any airport, the restrictions on firearms carry are largely ridiculous and unable to prevent firearms from entering the sanitized areas of the airport.

Nelson_Muntz

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Country cookin'. Family business, even the grandkids serve. Food was good. I had a bacon, egg and cheese on a toasted bagel with home fries. Excellent. Lisa had a country fried steak and loved it. Will go backnext saturday for lunch and will bring Bart. Views of the air traffic was great. Something different for sure.

Find their menu here:

http://www.hoppysrestaurant.com/