• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

ct public safety committee hearing 2/24/2009

peterkuck

imported post

Proposed comments for Tuesdays Public Hearing on HB-6457

H.B. No. 6457 (RAISED) AN ACT CONCERNING THE REGULATION OF FIREARMS AND THE LICENSING OF BAIL ENFORCEMENT AGENTS, PROFESSIONAL BONDSMEN AND SURETY BAIL BOND AGENTS
To require gun show promoters to notify the Commissioner of Public Safety of any planned gun show; to mandate annual firearms safety refresher courses for bail enforcement agents, professional bondsmen and surety bail bond agents; to require that certain firearms and criminal justice course instructors be approved by the Commissioner of Public Safety; to provide an exemption to the offenses of selling, carrying or brandishing a facsimile firearm for a participant in a state-certified qualified production; to change the blood alcohol limit for the offense of carrying a firearm while intoxicated to achieve parity with the level for the offense of operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated; and to require the concealment of a pistol or revolver when carried upon the person, with certain exemptions. OPPOSE the provision on Concealed Carry.

See attached Document

JUMPMASTER

imported post

I attended the meeting and provided verbal and written testimony.

During testimony regarding the proposed law to require concealment, John Danaher III, Commissioner of Department of Public Safety said that the mandated concealment portion of the bill clear up ambiguity currently in the law.

What ambiguity? The law is clear. Open carry is legal.

peterkuck

imported post

jumpmaster did a wonderful job. It is time that all of us pay attention to the hearings or else the legislature will think that it does not mater and no one cares

uskrusader

imported post

I'd suggest the discussion board (just below "Members"), just start a new topic and cut and paste your comments. I've posted three topics already....but it'd great if other people posted stuff....especially good stuff like what you have.

romma

imported post

The ammendment proposal byThe ConnecticutCoalition Of Sportsmen was a good parachute in case we do not get our way with Open Carry.

I still want open carry, but it will be a good thing to not get your permit yanked, or end up in handcuffs because someone becomes "alarmed"..

Again, thanks for the link.

uskrusader

imported post

This whole thing is pretty frustrating. What the heck does it mean to "bear arms"? Does it mean they must be hidden? ....like a dirty little secret?

I'm not an English major, but I think "bear" in the case of our Fed and state constitution means "carry" or "posess". I don't think this means hidden away or kept at home. This is not what the founding fathers had in mind. Sounds like a right infringed to me!

"yes, you're a free American, yes you have the right to bear arms,just don't dare let anyoneknow or seeyou do it!"

romma

imported post

Code:
I don't think this means hidden away or kept at home

Keep means pown or possess, bear means to carry:— bear arms

1: to carry or possess arms

Source Merriam Webster...

Of courseabove pointis rhetorical uskrusader... It is annoying how government twist meaning though.

GoldCoaster

imported post

I liked both Peter's comments and Jumpmasters. In fact what surprised me was except for the DPS that wants to push this bad bill through - Nobody was for it, not even the CT Police Chiefs association.

If that's not a testament to the unsuitability of the bill then I don't know what is.

Thanks Peter and Jumpmaster (and also the CT Police Chiefs) for being on the side of sense and freedom.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

There was a fellow from Southbury that also spoke against it. He didn't provide any written testimony but if they post transcripts you should be able to see what he said.

JUMPMASTER

imported post

I just received an email from Rep. Peggy Sayers the Assistant Majority Leader. Thanks to all who contacted the legislature. Here is what she wrote:

[align=left]

[align=left]Today we voted the bill out of public safety, Sections 1, 8, and 9 have been deleated. the bill now only address training for bailbondsmen. [/align]

[align=left]thank you Peggy Sayers[/align]
[/align]