• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just bought a Galco Skyops Holster

richarcm

imported post

Anyone else have one? Thoughts?
SKYOPSOV-1-5-4.jpg

richarcm

imported post

I love how it fits and how stealthy it is....but I find it a little more challenging to draw from than I had expected. I've been practicing and am getting a little better. I've found that if I don't quite push it in all the way (it has a LOT of retention new), use my left hand to hold the holster and my right hand to draw the gun....it works pretty well. As the literature in the case says....its not meant for quick draws....it's meant for quality CC.

Peacemaker .45

imported post

Hey richarcm, I am actually considering the skyops. Have you tucked in your shirt and how well does it work that way. Is it really as concealable as Galcosays it is?I'm asking because I wear my shirts tucked in 95% of the time and looking for a good tuckable holster.

Peacemaker .45

richarcm

imported post

Peacemaker .45 wrote:
Hey richarcm, I am actually considering the skyops. Have you tucked in your shirt and how well does it work that way. Is it really as concealable as Galcosays it is?I'm asking because I wear my shirts tucked in 95% of the time and looking for a good tuckable holster.

Peacemaker .45
I've been playing around with it for the past day or so. It does work well with a tucked in shirt. The shirt tucked in just fine and it stayed tucked in no different than without the holster. The only thing visible truly are the three visible prongs of the belt strap. Unless you are really paying attention and/or even know about this particular holster you aren't going to know I'm carrying.

The only thing I've been trying to practice is how to draw. To untuck your shirt, reach around to your backside and get the gun out of the holster (hasn't been extremely easy so far)....it takes a little effort and time. Perhaps I will get better and quicker thusfar it seems not to be a holster that would make good for a moment when quick reactions are crucial.

richarcm

imported post

I've figured out that for ME it seems to work best if I swap the belt strap to the left handed position...even though I'm right handed. When it was in the right handed position I found it easier to draw left handed due to the need to push down on the belt while pulling up on the gun. When it is left handed I can pull down on the belt with my left hand and pull up on the gun with my right hand. So it now sits right above my left butt cheek. :shock:

I know that this may not be the way it was meant to be used...so far its the way I am able to draw the quickest.

madcapmag

imported post

I like mine. I can conceal a fullsize 1911 with my tucked in dress shirt. BTW, yes, I am fat enough to make this possible. YMMV.

I did have to order the bigger hooks, though. Easy to chage out. After a bit, the leather gets looser and slicker making drawing easier. Definitely not a holster you would want to use if you were doing IDPA or anything like that, but it serves its purpose.