Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arkansas Times publishes names and Address of CHCL holders!

Post imported post

Max Brantley of the Arkansas Times has published the full list of CHCL holders. It has names and Address of everyone in Arkansas holding a CHCL. the report can be viewed here.

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkans...n_nuttery.aspx

If you would like to contact Mr Brantley to express your displeasure here is his Home address and personel phone number:

Max F. Brantley
    3210 Edgerstoune Lane
    Little Rock, AR 72205-4312

(501)663-6758

Post imported post

Just think of it this way, criminals rather see who is armed to steal their firearms when they're not home, or they know who is not armed so they can assault said victim even when at home.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Ol' Max shoulda talked to the Roanoke Times and Chris Core of WTOP radio in Wash, DC., first.

Keep digging through public records guys. Radio talker Chris Core yelled uncle after details of the size of his home, etc were revealed from public records.

Meantime.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

well, he has been getting a lot of phone calls today

Post imported post

I wish I was close to the Pulaski County courthouse. There are all sorts of details about his personal life and finances in "public records" that I'm sure ol' Max wouldn't like spread all over the internet.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Public information is public information. If you've got a problem with it, then you should petition the gov't to make sure that this list is NOT public information.

Post imported post

Here's my view. My personal information is exactly that. I own it - Lock, stock and barrel. Just because I am required to divulge my personal information to the government to conduct normal business (driver's license, taxes, etc.), and they include my personal information in a database - that does not constitute PUBLIC information, and they have no authority to share my information with ANYONE else - without my express consent.

Obviously - they disagree with my opinion.

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Armed wrote:
    Here's my view. My personal information is exactly that. I own it - Lock, stock and barrel. Just because I am required to divulge my personal information to the government to conduct normal business (driver's license, taxes, etc.), and they include my personal information in a database - that does not constitute PUBLIC information, and they have no authority to share my information with ANYONE else - without my express consent.

Obviously - they disagree with my opinion.
    This is a very good point.

Land records, court records, arrest records, are one thing. But not all information would appropriately be public.

Thanks for pointing this out.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

If you go to http://handgunlaw.us/ and click on the "All States - FAQs" link, it will load up a .pdf file which has a column near the right side showing the status of privacy protection afforded their permit holder's personal information.

Although apparently the Arkansas information is either incorrect, or someone is breaking the law, as it is shown to be NOT public information.

I took a quick look through the Arkansas code from the link provided on that page, but didn't see anything one way or the other.

TFred

P.S. I sent the handgunlaw.us admins a note about this, maybe they can shed more light.

Post imported post

When are these piece of **** "journalists" going to cut this **** out.

Post imported post

hsmith wrote:
    When are these piece of @#$% "journalists" going to cut this @#$% out.
    Sadly, the answer they would provide is probably "when concealed carry permits are no longer allowed".

I firmly believe their motivation is to intimidate law abiding citizens into not getting one.

TFred

Post imported post

Let's try to look at this in a more positive light. This newspaper has "outed" the CCW holders in AR. Clearly they think they people hiding their firearm carry from the public is wrong. Ergo, they favor everyone open carrying instead of conceal carrying. I think this is a great opportunity to publicize their veiled endorsement of legalizing open carry in Arkansas.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

I enjoyed John Lott's evaluation. Publishing CC permit holders' names increases the risks to the unarmed good people and to the bad guys.

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
    What site are we on? Concealedcarry.org? No?
    Aside from that, I just cannot comprehend how someone feels justified in whining about information they VOLUNTARILY provided, as part of a permit process, being available to the public.
    If it's that big of a deal, don't apply for the permit !!! End of problem.
    Besides, you should be OC'ing instead.
    I think you're missing the point. Yes, it's public info. It's also being used with nefarious intent. He's trying to embarass/frighten people for excercising their right. While what he did may be legal, (I gather from a couple posts above that the jury may be out on the legality question) he's trying to ostrocise law abiding citizens using his editor position as a bully-pulpit to forward his own agenda.

A good lesson for him would be to have his entire life laid bare on the internet, just to give him a taste of what he's doing to others.

Post imported post

No, it's you who are missing the point. If concealed carry were a right, you'd not need to apply for a permit. ANYthing which requires the holding of a permit is a PRIVILEGED ACTIVITY.
    The ONLY reason you need a permit, making IT a privilege is because some bureaucrat along they way decided we needed one.

The right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.....

CCW, LTC, CHCL, whatever you want to call it, seems like an infringement on that right to me...

The 2nd amendment doesn't say the right to keep and bear arms except for the ones you want to conceal on your person, shall not be infringed.

Post imported post

I agree, However, pushing CCW and open carry effects the return of the second amendment, by taking small steps. I put forth my opinion of Licenced carry in another thread, but there's no way that we're just going to wake up one morning, and see that all infringements to the second have vanished. We allowed these rights to be taken incrementally, and now that's how we take them back.

In times past, when someone in the public eye would say or dosomething publicly to endorse the second, they were shouted down, made fun of, etc. Now, when someone in the public eye says ordoes something against the second, let them be shouted down, and made fun of, etc.

This guy should be draggedinto the court of public opinion, and punished. However, we need to maintain a moral compass, and make sure that his wife, and family are left in peace.

Post imported post

If you want to be armed, than do so; without discreet, on the full face value of allowing your firearm to be the visual deterrent to criminals. In which case has been shown to be true statistically, nationwide.

But If you want to hide the fact that you are armed, well, then you’ll have to pay the price.

Eitherway, I wish there were NO RESTRICTIONS onany type of carry.

Post imported post

Rights and carry preferences aside, are you willing to post a sign in your front yard which reads:

"There are guns inside my house, feel free to watch me leave, then break in and steal them."

If you are unwilling to post such a sign in your front yard, then please refrain from criticizing people who are trying to keep concealed permit holder information private.

This is the equivalent result of allowing any citizen to know or obtain the personal, private information of concealed permit holders.

Last year the VCDL Alert carried a report of criminals who broke into a members house, and unable to open the gun safe, jumped him when he returned home, beat him severely, forced him to open the safe, and made off with several firearms. Why would anyone not want to keep such strategic information away from criminals?

Respectfully,

TFred

Post imported post

Let's keep something in perspective people. AR is a non-OC state. It is all fine and dandy to say, "Well just OC it and don't give the info to the state" if you live in a permissive OC state. In AR if you want to carry you have to have a CCL and carry concealed.

The other side of the problem with publishing the list is not knowing who IS carrying, but in a non-OC state it also tells who is NOT carrying. In essence, they have put criminals on notice as to who is NOT armed in public. This utterly eliminates the "surprise" factor so much touted by certain CCers and puts people NOT on the list at increased risk as safe targets for bad guys.

While this liberal rag thinks it is somehow embarassing or "outing" CCers, it is doing far more than that and the publication is dangerous for everyone who doesn't have armed body guards.
    Bob Owens @ Bearing Arms (paraphrased): "These people aren't against violence; they're very much in favor of violence. They're against armed resistance."

Post imported post

What site are we on? Concealedcarry.org? No?
    Aside from that, I just cannot comprehend how someone feels justified in whining about information they VOLUNTARILY provided, as part of a permit process, being available to the public.
    If it's that big of a deal, don't apply for the permit !!! End of problem.
    Besides, you should be OC'ing instead.
    Yes and my mode of carry is none of your concern or anyone else's. It should not bother you if I choose to CC today or tomorrow.

As I recall, the entire right is 'The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed'. No where does it state I have to OC. So if I want to CC, that should be good as well.

It's definitely better than NC (no carry).

But any sort of PERSONAL licensing, certification, degree, or permit should not automatically be made public information unless done so by theHOLDER of such.

Post imported post

mark edward marchiafavaappearantly believes that the right to choose how you carryis not important. Only his way is good enough to be protected. For those of you who live in states where OC is not legal,too bad, so sad.

Not long ago your social security numberwas required on your drivers licence in many states, would you want that to be public information? If you don't want people to know your information, just don't get a drivers licence.

Post imported post

Remember, this is a national forum. There are many states where your basic right to carry is tied (to varying degrees) to that permit.

And don't forget Federal laws concerning school Gun Free Zones. As I understand it, you cannot even drive within 1000 feet (that's almost 2/10 of a mile) of the edge of any school property unless you have a local state license of whatever flavor they issue. This makes nearly everyone who carries without that local license a federal criminal at some point during the day.

Like it or not, this "right" is highly regulated, it is clearly not as simple as "just don't get one".

TFred

Post imported post

I fail to see how publishing this information serves anyone's interests. There is a press exception to the privacy of carry permit records in Ohio, but what is the press supposed to do with the information? Are we supposed to be ashamed to have permits or something? I refuse to get ham radio specialty license plates because that information is public record and somebody could get my name and address readily from my call sign. Also, license tags in Ohio expire on your birthday, which is now printed on the tag itself if you look closely. Not conducive to protecting one's privacy. At least they finally stopped putting your SS# on your operator's license here...

-ljp

Post imported post

Alaska being one of the states which make available records of licensees which have CCWs.

I don't mind what licenses I get are available. The same information is posted public if you have a business license.

I believe the people who are really upset are the people who want to conceal without others knowing they're in possession of a firearm, i.e. the people who don't open carry.
    Gays are prominent members of firearm rights, we do more via the courts, don't like it? Leave.
    Religious bigots against same sex marriage are not different than white supremacists.
    I expel anti-gay people off my teams. Tolerance is key to team cohesion and team building.

Post imported post

I thinks it's dumb that they did this, but with the internet now days, I can get a picture of your house with as little as just your phone #. Or name, or address. Or even your IP address.

Ever heard of Google Street View ? Scary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast