• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arkansas Times publishes names and Address of CHCL holders!

gruntpain1775

imported post

Max Brantley of the Arkansas Times has published the full list of CHCL holders. It has names and Address of everyone in Arkansas holding a CHCL. the report can be viewed here.

http://www.arktimes.com/blogs/arkansasblog/2009/02/annals_of_gun_nuttery.aspx

If you would like to contact Mr Brantley to express your displeasure here is his Home address and personel phone number:

Max F. Brantley
3210 Edgerstoune Lane
Little Rock, AR 72205-4312

(501)663-6758

david.ross

imported post

Just think of it this way, criminals rather see who is armed to steal their firearms when they're not home, or they know who is not armed so they can assault said victim even when at home.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Ol' Max shoulda talked to the Roanoke Times and Chris Core of WTOP radio in Wash, DC., first.

Keep digging through public records guys. Radio talker Chris Core yelled uncle after details of the size of his home, etc were revealed from public records.

Meantime.

KBCraig

imported post

I wish I was close to the Pulaski County courthouse. There are all sorts of details about his personal life and finances in "public records" that I'm sure ol' Max wouldn't like spread all over the internet.

zigziggityzoo

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Public information is public information. If you've got a problem with it, then you should petition the gov't to make sure that this list is NOT public information.

Armed

imported post

Here's my view. My personal information is exactly that. I own it - Lock, stock and barrel. Just because I am required to divulge my personal information to the government to conduct normal business (driver's license, taxes, etc.), and they include my personal information in a database - that does not constitute PUBLIC information, and they have no authority to share my information with ANYONE else - without my express consent.

Obviously - they disagree with my opinion.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Armed wrote:
Here's my view. My personal information is exactly that. I own it - Lock, stock and barrel. Just because I am required to divulge my personal information to the government to conduct normal business (driver's license, taxes, etc.), and they include my personal information in a database - that does not constitute PUBLIC information, and they have no authority to share my information with ANYONE else - without my express consent.

Obviously - they disagree with my opinion.

This is a very good point.

Land records, court records, arrest records, are one thing. But not all information would appropriately be public.

Thanks for pointing this out.

TFred

imported post

If you go to http://handgunlaw.us/ and click on the "All States - FAQs" link, it will load up a .pdf file which has a column near the right side showing the status of privacy protection afforded their permit holder's personal information.

Although apparently the Arkansas information is either incorrect, or someone is breaking the law, as it is shown to be NOT public information.

I took a quick look through the Arkansas code from the link provided on that page, but didn't see anything one way or the other.

TFred

P.S. I sent the handgunlaw.us admins a note about this, maybe they can shed more light.

TFred

imported post

hsmith wrote:
When are these piece of @#$% "journalists" going to cut this @#$% out.
Sadly, the answer they would provide is probably "when concealed carry permits are no longer allowed".

I firmly believe their motivation is to intimidate law abiding citizens into not getting one.

TFred

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Let's try to look at this in a more positive light. This newspaper has "outed" the CCW holders in AR. Clearly they think they people hiding their firearm carry from the public is wrong. Ergo, they favor everyone open carrying instead of conceal carrying. I think this is a great opportunity to publicize their veiled endorsement of legalizing open carry in Arkansas.

imported post

What site are we on? Concealedcarry.org? No?
Aside from that, I just cannot comprehend how someone feels justified in whining about information they VOLUNTARILY provided, as part of a permit process, being available to the public.
If it's that big of a deal, don't apply for the permit !!! End of problem.
Besides, you should be OC'ing instead.

Jeff Watts

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
What site are we on? Concealedcarry.org? No?
Aside from that, I just cannot comprehend how someone feels justified in whining about information they VOLUNTARILY provided, as part of a permit process, being available to the public.
If it's that big of a deal, don't apply for the permit !!! End of problem.
Besides, you should be OC'ing instead.

I think you're missing the point. Yes, it's public info. It's also being used with nefarious intent. He's trying to embarass/frighten people for excercising their right. While what he did may be legal, (I gather from a couple posts above that the jury may be out on the legality question) he's trying to ostrocise law abiding citizens using his editor position as a bully-pulpit to forward his own agenda.

A good lesson for him would be to have his entire life laid bare on the internet, just to give him a taste of what he's doing to others.

camsoup

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
No, it's you who are missing the point. If concealed carry were a right, you'd not need to apply for a permit. ANYthing which requires the holding of a permit is a PRIVILEGED ACTIVITY.
The ONLY reason you need a permit, making IT a privilege is because some bureaucrat along they way decided we needed one.

The right to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.....

CCW, LTC, CHCL, whatever you want to call it, seems like an infringement on that right to me...:banghead:

The 2nd amendment doesn't say the right to keep and bear arms except for the ones you want to conceal on your person, shall not be infringed.

Jeff Watts

imported post

I agree, However, pushing CCW and open carry effects the return of the second amendment, by taking small steps. I put forth my opinion of Licenced carry in another thread, but there's no way that we're just going to wake up one morning, and see that all infringements to the second have vanished. We allowed these rights to be taken incrementally, and now that's how we take them back.

In times past, when someone in the public eye would say or dosomething publicly to endorse the second, they were shouted down, made fun of, etc. Now, when someone in the public eye says ordoes something against the second, let them be shouted down, and made fun of, etc.

This guy should be draggedinto the court of public opinion, and punished. However, we need to maintain a moral compass, and make sure that his wife, and family are left in peace.