Thread: OCDO Map Update?

Post imported post

I see that on the main page maps Michigan is still listed as an "Anomalous" open carry state. The State Police and AG have been clear that OC is legal, so who do we talk to about getting the map changed?

-Rob

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

My take on that "anomalous" thing is that it refers to the people within the state not being used to seeing others carrying. For so long open carrying has been not done that it is more of a rarity to see a person carrying than not carrying. Just my op.springerdave.

Post imported post

Rob Washeleski wrote:
    I see that on the main page maps Michigan is still listed as an "Anomalous" open carry state.* The State Police and AG have been clear that OC is legal, so who do we talk to about getting the map changed?

-Rob
    "Anomalous" on the map is for states that:
    "Open carry permitted generally by state law, but lacks preemption or entails significant restrictions"

Post imported post

We may have restrictions, but we certainly have preemption. I guess it depends on how restrictive other state's laws are regarding OC.

-Rob

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

One could argue that Open Carry is anomalous almost anywhere (There are places like Arizona or Alaska, where some would tend to disagree).

Open Carry in Michigan is a defined right in the Constitution of the State.

Sec. 6. Every person has a right to keep and bear arms for the defense of himself and the state.
    Since not many people exercise this right, it's quite anomalous right now. Until more of us do it, and it becomes the "norm" to see people carrying openly, we will remain an anomalous OC State.

Post imported post

IMHO, Michigan appears pretty gun friendly, some comments by others here notwithstanding. Alaska perhaps has a more friendly atmosphere, but where else can I apparently OC in a school, bar, etc. with a permit? Does NV or AZ allow this? Many states thought of as 2A friendly (FL, SC, TX, OK) don't allow OC, licensed or not. In Utah without a concealed carry permit a person needs to be so many steps from being able to actually shoot; in MI (w/out a CPL) one can carry loaded with one in the pipe. In VT, often held up as the the paragon of concealed carry because one does not need a permit, there is no state preemption so certain local units of government can and do prohibit firearms.

I do acknowledge, though, that our car carry provisions for non-CPL holders, the inability for "non-Michiganders" to actually bring their pistol(s) into the state, and the restrictions placed on licensed concealed carry in certain establishments DO need to be changed, and IMHO, we are getting closer to that reality....
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar

Post imported post

Mike emailed me and wrote that car carry without a permit is what gets us the gold state status. Since you can't carry in a car without a CPL in Michigan we are in the anomalous category.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Post imported post

Venator wrote:
    Mike emailed me and wrote that car carry without a permit is what gets us the gold state status. Since you can't carry in a car without a CPL in Michigan we are in the anomalous category.
    Thanks for finding out. Since most visitors would travel by car/motorcycle, I can see where the vehicle carry issue would be weighted quite heavily against us. Perhaps we can continue to work on that with the legislature. I was thinking perhaps a disclosure provision or maybe just exposed on the dash (plain sight). I don't know how others here would feel about either, but it seems it would be better than an outright ban w/out a CPL.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.