Thread: When does OC become CC?

Post imported post

I'm far from new to weapons but am educating myself on the topcs of OC as well as CC and I plan to get my CCW this spring. In the meantime, I've decided to exercise my right to OC (I'm in Colorado). My question is, at what point does OC become CC (and illegal for me at this point)? Is it when my coat tail drops over the handle of the sidearm? Is it when the sidearm is completely covered? Can someone point me to a legal description?

TIA

Gary

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Welome to OCDO!!!!!

It may be state-specific. Check the law in your state, or post the question in the Colorado forum. You don't want bum advice that omits something critical and specific to Colorado.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Post imported post

Yeah, duh! Don't know why I didn't post my question over there - thanks for the re-direct!

Gary

Post imported post

For me it's easy, its whenever my wife says cover that thing up!
    Iím proudly straight. I'm free to not support Legalization, GLBT, Illegal Aliens, or the Islamization of America.

Post imported post

In the Commonwealth of Virginia the "open carry" standard is "visible from three sides" and not so configured as to disguise the fact that it is a firearm; so for instance if you had a gun disguised as a belt buckle it woulod STILL be "concealed" even if it was in very plain sight. In a vehicle it must be visible to an officer walking up from either sside of the vehicle.

The reason I think every state should have open carry for all and concealed carry for (SHALL ISSUE) permit holders is that it gets rid of that stupid requirement that no revealing bulge or "imprinting" should be visible on pain of prosecution. This is mostly I believe to reserve to police the option of being visibly armed (like that makes them hot wheels) but IMO that is like saying you cannot have a spotlight mounted on your Crown Vic because it makes you look like an LEO.

If the wind blows my shirt or jacket open and exposes my weapon, in states like Florida and Texas I am in big trouble. Here in Virginia it just means I am OCing for a few seconds. Big deal.

Post imported post

In the Commonwealth of Virginia the "open carry" standard is "visible from three sides"
    Where did you get this 'standard'?, thats not what the law says.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson

Post imported post

I think what he means is as a general rule of thumb. In Virginia we do have what is known as the "Virginia Tuck," which is this basically. This is still considered OC in Virginia. Not sure about Colorado though.

Post imported post

I'm interested the type of holster you you have pictured in your thread

Post imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
    In a vehicle it must be visible to an officer walking up from either sside of the vehicle.
    Unless my car door is open, or the office sticks his head into my window, there's no way he'd see my holstered weapon - it's on my left, not on my right, like you normal people :P. Does that imply that because I carry on my left, I'm carrying concealed whenever I drive? I wouldn't think so...

Post imported post

Best put it on the seat or up on the dash while you're operating the vehicle. I generally use a shoulder holster whichis tres visible, although I have been yanked over once because some weenie freaked and called the cops after noticing my shoulder rig.

Part of the problem around here is that many Northern Virginia cops live in Maryland because it is expensive to live in NOVA, and a lot of them have a resulting Maryland mindset, and carry it across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge when they come to work.