• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When does OC become CC?

doublewide

imported post

I'm far from new to weapons but am educating myself on the topcs of OC as well as CC and I plan to get my CCW this spring. In the meantime, I've decided to exercise my right to OC (I'm in Colorado). My question is, at what point does OC become CC (and illegal for me at this point)? Is it when my coat tail drops over the handle of the sidearm? Is it when the sidearm is completely covered? Can someone point me to a legal description?

TIA

Gary

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Welome to OCDO!!!!!

It may be state-specific. Check the law in your state, or post the question in the Colorado forum. You don't want bum advice that omits something critical and specific to Colorado.

jbone

imported post

For me it's easy, its whenever my wife says cover that thing up!

Alexcabbie

imported post

In the Commonwealth of Virginia the "open carry" standard is "visible from three sides" and not so configured as to disguise the fact that it is a firearm; so for instance if you had a gun disguised as a belt buckle it woulod STILL be "concealed" even if it was in very plain sight. In a vehicle it must be visible to an officer walking up from either sside of the vehicle.

The reason I think every state should have open carry for all and concealed carry for (SHALL ISSUE) permit holders is that it gets rid of that stupid requirement that no revealing bulge or "imprinting" should be visible on pain of prosecution. This is mostly I believe to reserve to police the option of being visibly armed (like that makes them hot wheels) but IMO that is like saying you cannot have a spotlight mounted on your Crown Vic because it makes you look like an LEO.

If the wind blows my shirt or jacket open and exposes my weapon, in states like Florida and Texas I am in big trouble. Here in Virginia it just means I am OCing for a few seconds. Big deal.

CRF250rider1000

imported post

I think what he means is as a general rule of thumb. In Virginia we do have what is known as the "Virginia Tuck," which is this basically. This is still considered OC in Virginia. Not sure about Colorado though.
iwb_holster1.jpg

Diver_59

imported post

I'm interested the type of holster you you have pictured in your thread

Riana

imported post

Alexcabbie wrote:
In a vehicle it must be visible to an officer walking up from either sside of the vehicle.
Unless my car door is open, or the office sticks his head into my window, there's no way he'd see my holstered weapon - it's on my left, not on my right, like you normal people :p. Does that imply that because I carry on my left, I'm carrying concealed whenever I drive? I wouldn't think so...

Alexcabbie

imported post

Best put it on the seat or up on the dash while you're operating the vehicle. I generally use a shoulder holster whichis tres visible, although I have been yanked over once because some weenie freaked and called the cops after noticing my shoulder rig.

Part of the problem around here is that many Northern Virginia cops live in Maryland because it is expensive to live in NOVA, and a lot of them have a resulting Maryland mindset, and carry it across the Woodrow Wilson Bridge when they come to work.