• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wife angry at my OC/CC...

n16ht5

imported post

I CC most of the time, and OC depending on where I go, but my wife gets really angry with me over it... Anyone else have this problem? She tells me that she feels uneasy with me carrying. I don't understand. (I got my CPL right after we got married...) I tell her that I will do whatever it takes to protect her, but she doesn't seem to understand. What should I say? I'm not paranoid for carrying most of the time right? Thanks

Chris

david.ross

imported post

I actually have the most perfect answer, one of which is from a coworker who is married, she told me this.

"My husband said I can have as many shoes as I want, long as he can have as many guns as he wants"

Just make a similar compromise. :D

n16ht5

imported post

She doesn't care that I have a lot of guns, but she gets mad when I carry them on me with her... She hates guns but can't give a good reason why :/

n16ht5

imported post

OK. I will try that. She is going to think I'm really nuts when I bring her to a meeting... Better take her shooting first

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I think your having obtained your CPL after you were married might throw a curve ball into this. I was already carrying regularly when I met my wife. We may sometimes negotiate on the CC/OC issue but it has been a while since she bothered to ask if I was going to carry some place and she is taking her CCW class in about 6 weeks although she doesn't think she will want to carry regularly. When she used to give me "the look" and ask "are you seriously going to take that with you?" I would make the simple reponse along the lines of, "I was carrying one when you met me."

For you it is going to be a different road. Did you two agree about your CPL before you obtained it? If not, that may be a sticking point as she could be just as upset or moreso about you not talking to her about it as she is about the gun. Did you OC before you met her and did you OC around her before you were married?

Generally I find that automobiles are the easiest parallel for most people to "get" about carrying a firearm. Perhaps the next time she objects to your carrying you could ask her (nicely) if she would prefer you not wear a seatbelt in the car today. Or maybe even just pull the fuses for the ABS and the airbags. Then use those safety features that you are thankful for as they protect you and your family as a parallel to the reasons you carry a gun.

n16ht5

imported post

When I got my CPL, she wanted it to be for only hiking trips... I was just like "yeah sure honey.." Figuring that she would get used to it after a month or two... Didn't realize it would be such a problem. I grew up in a hunting family, so guns were no big deal for me, but she grew up never really around anything besides what was on the TV...

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Ultimately, there are some things in life which are non-negotiable and your life, your safety is one of them. It matters not what she might think, your right to protect yourself supercedes her perceived comfort of you not being armed.

With that said, there is the very real issue of trying to keep peace in the household. If you are NRA, show her the Armed Citizen section and perhaps newspaper stories of victims who had no means of defense who were injured or killed.

My wife also just pointed out something else. How one conducts themselves as they go about things sends messages to other as to their stability and maturity. Are they quick to temper? Do they have a tendency to confront rather than back down and look for an out? How is their gun handling? Are they careful and more importantly, do they make others feel comfortable when they are handling and/or carrying a firearm? All of these things send messages to others who develop perceptions, colored by their own biases, regarding someone's actions around firearms.

So while you certainly do have an ultimate right to keep and bear arms, convincing someone else with whom you live of this can certainly be difficult and complex.

Good luck, keep at it, and try to bring her over to your side.

N00blet45

imported post

I just ask my wife, "Should I draw my pistol and defend us or would you rather I curl into a ball and let the bad guy do whatever he wants?" She's never had a problem with me carrying when I put it in those terms. She's just a little uneasy with the way people look at us when I'm carrying openly. I think it's a confidence issue really because she's not against OC, she just doesn't like the attention in public.

chris in va

imported post

Wow, sounds like you need to have a 'sitdown' and hash things out with her. Not good for her to be actually angry over this.

My friend used to be leery of me carrying, then would make snide remarks in public such as, "did you bring your GUN with you again today?".

She stopped all that mess though after reading various accounts of criminals doing what they do best, especially close to home. As a matter of fact, she now wants her CC permit once the 6 month residency is up.

Another issue is the fact you're probably the *only* person she knows that carries a firearm other than an LEO. Once she sees that there's a whole galaxy of CC permit holders, that view may change a bit.

n16ht5

imported post

Thanks for the advice, ill have to look up a few articles this week. I plan on taking her up this weekend shooting .22 so hopefully that works out.

n16ht5

imported post

chris in va wrote:
Another issue is the fact you're probably the *only* person she knows that carries a firearm other than an LEO.  Once she sees that there's a whole galaxy of CC permit holders, that view may change a bit.

Yeah I am the only person she knows of.. Good point

rds801

imported post

I had the same problem....my wife being uneasy about me carrying my pistol. She wanted me to give her a little warning that I was going to have my pistol on. Told her to just assume I am carrying all the time....I have my CHL, I have my gun, I am going to use both everytime I leave the house so just assume I will have it on me. I also told her that if she doesn't want me to carry, I expect her to have a plan to protect us. :lol:

Orygunner

imported post

My wife doesn't mind me CC, but does NOT like me OCing around town, especially with the kids.

I've always been a pro-gun guy, and she grew up around some guns and hunting. I decided last year that I was finally going to start carrying a firearm for protecting us, but didn't have a CHL yet. I thought OC was stupid, but when I stumbled across OCDO last year it really opened my eyes about OC. When I started OCing everywhere, she and my in-laws thought I'd flipped off the deep end. I'll admit that when I get on a subject that I enjoy I can "run it into the ground," and unfortunately for me, that's what I did with the gun rights and OC issue for the whole family. I got my CHL and started carrying concealed, and only OCingwhen not around any of them.

No matter how much I've tried to convince her and reason with her, she still thinks it's dangerous to OC around town and doesn't wantme doing it, especially around our kids. However, if we're out camping or hiking or doing other outdoor stuff out of town, she's fine with it. Since I rarely leave the house without at least one of the kids in tow, my OC time is pretty limited :uhoh:.

n16ht5, my suggestion is to not run it into the ground like I did, and understand that you can NEVER change someone's mind. Repeating the sameinformation over and over will never change anything. You have to give someone new information that allows them to make a new decision. Unfortunately for me, I haven't found that new piece of information that I haven't told my wife already :).

...Orygunner...

SlackwareRobert

imported post

How can you marry someone so incompatible with freedom?
I had my wife go pick up the ccw permit forms for me.
She knew I hate to be in the system, and prefer being under the radar, but
with AL transport laws I finally relented, and put myself in the bulls eye.
She always hated going to her uncles who had a 357, but mostly because
he was also a drunk with a 357, not the gun by itself.

The other day she couldn't find the taurus, and started to panic,
so I guess everything is right in the world. Though I have updated my
cleaning routine to include letting her know sooner which gun is out
of battery being serviced.
She is being denied her carry rights by the feds, but we are fixing that
this year, and then maybe I will ween her into OC.
Best of all with the Wildey, I finally have a gun bigger than hers:celebrate:celebrate

Take a drive in the bad part of town, and ask her if she wants to get out
without carrying? I ended up on a detour into the projects last night,
and she loved having the gun on my hip. You can never know when
the government will block your route and request you endanger your family.

markand

imported post

I bought my first handgun after I was married. Wife didn't like me carrying at all. Didn't even want it in the house. Tried to work with her gently. Even took her to the range so she could see what it was all about.

I even pointed out that I had survived a variety of potentially deadly criminal acts including:
1. Armed robbery attempt (Baltimore City, MD, 1970's) . I talked the guy out of it.
2. Handgun assault (Columbia, MD, 1970's). Disgruntled employee pointed gun at me from a car in parking lot. Didn't fire, just wanted to scare me. Police not very interested, despite his drug possession record. He got fired.
3. Two "hot" home invasion burglaries while a college student (Baltimore City, 1970's). One got away with all the goodies. The second guy, a couple of years later, wouldn't leave until I told him I had a shotgun. He decided to leave.
4. Two "cold" burglaries. In the first one, (Pikesville, MD, late 1970's) long before marriage, police shot and wounded one of two suspects in a gun battle on my doorstep while I was at work. In the other, (McLean, VA, 1982 or 3) a cheap burglar alarm this very wife had won in a contest scared the bad guy away while we were on vacation.
5. Nasty encounter with a homeless guy at a fast food place (Fairfax City, VA, late 1990's). After he vandalized the place by smashing a large pane of door glass, I found myself between him and the bathroom. He must have had to go. He growled at me, didn't like the way I was looking at him (I prefer to think of it as my cold steady stare.) Had he taken another step, I would have drawn the SIG P239. Instead, he walked across the street to another bathroom. 911 fire dispatcher answered in seconds, but police took 45 minutes to answer their phone. Guy was long gone.
6. Two car jacking attempts. In the first, in gun-unfriendly Baltimore, MD (late 1990's), I had no choice but to run down the two thugs trying to take my car. They jumped out of the way. Since they hadn't hurt me, and I hadn't hurt them, Baltimore police declined to respond. In the second attempt near Yorktown, VA, (2004) the leader of 4 thugs saw my handgun in its holster and broke off the attack.
7. While on the way to Tae-Kwon-Do class (Fairfax, City, VA, 1991 or 2), my then 6 and 8 year old kids ran ahead of me. A gang of teenagers cornered them and were taunting them as I came around the corner of a building. The sight of an adult, all dressed up in the martial arts uniform, including brown belt and carrying a practice weapon (basically a long stick) was more than they could handle. The gang scattered.

These incidents, some of which occurred while we were married, really didn't get through to her for some reason.

Somewhere during the course of the marriage, I must have grown a pair, something I highly recommend. I finally said to her, as gently as I could, but quite clearly, that I felt a duty and responsibility to protect her, myself, and our two children. Whether she liked it or not, I was going to carry out that responsibility and she needed to grow accustomed to that fact. I should have added "and STFU", but I was too polite to do so.

I think she disliked the fact that I grew a pair more than she disliked the gun. In any case there were lots of other issues. Alas, we're divorced, but I've since married a wonderful woman who has a clue and is grateful I carry the gun to protect us.

Legba

imported post

I got my gf comfortable with shooting my BB gun at last, which is nice - I rediscovered the appeal of air rifles myself. She's almost been talked into going to the range for shooting firearms proper. I don't see her shooting a 12-ga or .30-cal rifle, perhaps, but maybe a .380 pistol, say. Baby steps.

-ljp