• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Motorcycle OC

poddus

imported post

Hey everyone, glad to have found the forums. I have a couple questions concerning open carry on a motorcycle. Summer's coming back around soon and that means it's time to break out the bike! It also means my 18th birthday is coming up and I've been getting ready to OC. The problem is I've been having a damned hard time finding the applicable laws. Here are the questions I've been trying to answer:

First off, is a motorcycle any different from a cabined vehicle? Going through the ORC and various legal synopses on the internet, I've come to the conclusion that it is unlawful to OC in a vehicle without a CHL. From what I understand, being on a motorcycle is not being "in" a vehicle, and from a practical perspective the law needn't apply. I understand it's purpose to be to keep surprises for LEOs to a minimum, but if I'm on a motorcycle the gun will be in plain view. To compound the problem there was apparently some major change in the law in Ohio sometime in '08 that pretty much invalidates all this stuff I've been reading. What's the deal?

Secondly, once you're OCing, what are you allowed to carry? I've got my trusty KaBar D2 that I'd like to take along as well, am I allowed to carry that alone or in addition to a handgun? What constitutes a deadly knife? Everyone I've talked to seems to have a different idea about this, from exact blade length to blade width to "as long as the blade isn't any longer than the width of your hand"... all very confusing stuff.

Third, I'm very supportive of the OC movement and want to continue carrying in general and be able to talk to people about it. I've scoured the forum and read a couple stories, but what kind of reactions should I be expecting from other civilians as well as any LEOs I may encounter in northeast Ohio?

Now getting into the practical side of it. I got a BlackHawk Serpa Holster for my baby, but I think a thigh rig is in order, as my suit zips together around the waist. Is there a way to convert my standard belt holster? After looking at it a bit I think I could jury-rig a solution with a couple of these:
http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Omega-Tactical-Holster-Leg-Strap,785,47.htm
but I was wondering if you guys had any ideas.

That's all I can think of right now (it's late), I know I've got more, I'll just post it as I remember. Oh, and if you don't mind the plug, I've been following this guy online for a while now. He does great reviews of everything manly :p

http://www.youtube.com/nutnfancy

cheers,

-poddus

chris in va

imported post

Welcome to the board.

Sorry can't comment about Ohio laws, but one thing does stand out. Generally speaking you do not want to carry your gun on your hip while riding. If you have a look at various MC wrecks, you'll see that anything around your waist will cause tremendous damage to your hip bones while sliding/tumbling down the road. Same reason 'small of back' carry is so dangerous...potential damage to the spine.

You're better off putting it in a tank bag, sidebag, jacket pocket etc. Note the racer's position when hitting the track. Believe me, I've wanted to OC on my bike so many times but keep reminding myself the consequences.

dreamcro

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Out here in AZ I OC on the bike all the time. Have had no problems with it. If your allowed to OC it doesn't matter if it's in a car or not.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

chris in va wrote:
If you have a look at various MC wrecks, you'll see that anything around your waist will cause tremendous damage to your hip bones while sliding/tumbling down the road. 

I can see from the picture that there is a good chance of landing on the gun. Are you basing the high probability of injury because of the high probability of landing on it or have you seen damage to hips caused by objects strapped to them?

Most motorcycle cops still wear their guns on their hip correct?

Surely you know more about this subject than I do, but I was just wondering whether you know for a fact that it would cause serious injury or if you are hypothesizing it.

I fell off of a slow-moving pedal bicycle and landed on my gun without even a bruise where the gun was but I had some scrapes where other parts of me hit the road. I know that isn't comparable to falling off of a motorcycle traveling at highway speeds, but is it possible that a gun might actually have the opposite effect and absorb some of the impact?

I certainly don't claim to know the answer, I just wanted to probe for the knowledge.

streetdoc

imported post

I wear mine on my hip any time that I can while on my bike, the only time that I don't it's because of weather or I am in places that I can't carry.

GWbiker

imported post

I don't know of anyone who carries a gun while engaged in a motorcycle race event, however, among street riders in Arizona we do OC while riding a motorcycle.

If it's legal in your state, then do it!:celebrate

GreenCountyPete

imported post

dreamcro wrote:
Out here in AZ I OC on the bike all the time. Have had no problems with it. If your allowed to OC it doesn't matter if it's in a car or not.

cars and viecheles of any type are of major discrepancy from state to state with regards to carrying of a firearm

it is my understanding that in North dakota as long as a round is not in the chamber it is ok to have a gun in the truck

while here in WIS unloaded including any attached magazine such as a tube feed rifle need be empty and fully enclosed in a case made for the purpose of firarms trransport weather purchase or home made mustbe fastend closed by button snap zipper tie velcro buckle or some other type of fastener or diss-asembled unless you posses a class A disabled hunting license and are activly participating in a huntwith the viechle at a full stop before uncasing and loading.

only farm husbandry may carry firarms loaded or uncased in wisconsinso if you have a farm you may carry a gun on your tractor , in cwd desease eradication zones you may shoot deer from your tractor but only if you are the farmer or family memeber over 12 who's primary residence is the farm.

so you can add unloading and reloading as well as casing and uncasing to every stop where you intend to carry in wisconsin

40s-and-wfan

imported post

I've always wanted to OC while riding a motorcycle. I'm glad I live in Montana, as OC is allowed dang near anywhere! I don't see any problem whatsoever, with OC-ing on a bike. As soon as I can find the bike I want, I'll join you. I'm currently buying a '08 Kawasaki Ninja from a friend. I always had this hair-brained scheme to mount an M4-gery in a vertical (muzzle-down) mount on the bike. Still a work in progress and like I said, a hair-brained idea, but a funny one in my opinion. I'd like to see pics of this if anyone else can find them!

demnogis

imported post

I'm not sure how restrictive the laws are for your state, but here in CA there is no current law restricting openly carrying an unloaded firearm in your vehicle.

I OC while riding every day. Since I am exposed, my firearm openly visible and that I carry in compliance with the CA Penal code, it is legal. I believe the idea is that the firearm has to be visible. Many people who OC store it in a locking case in their vehicle when traveling just to be extra cautious.

But on a motorcycle... It would be incredibly hard for a prosecuting attorney to argue that you were concealing your firearm - in a vehicle - on a motorcycle, while openly carrying. Especially if you were pulled over because the officer was able to see your openly carried firearm.

I also use a drop-leg style holster. Mainly because the riding jacket I have would conceal my firearm if it were in a holster on my hip. Concealed carry in CA is Licensed and nearly impossible for a normal law abiding citizen to get a license.

Tiny85

imported post

Felid`Maximus wrote:
chris in va wrote:
If you have a look at various MC wrecks, you'll see that anything around your waist will cause tremendous damage to your hip bones while sliding/tumbling down the road.

I can see from the picture that there is a good chance of landing on the gun. Are you basing the high probability of injury because of the high probability of landing on it or have you seen damage to hips caused by objects strapped to them?

Most motorcycle cops still wear their guns on their hip correct?

Surely you know more about this subject than I do, but I was just wondering whether you know for a fact that it would cause serious injury or if you are hypothesizing it.

I fell off of a slow-moving pedal bicycle and landed on my gun without even a bruise where the gun was but I had some scrapes where other parts of me hit the road. I know that isn't comparable to falling off of a motorcycle traveling at highway speeds, but is it possible that a gun might actually have the opposite effect and absorb some of the impact?

I certainly don't claim to know the answer, I just wanted to probe for the knowledge.
I would recommend against using motorcycle police as the deciding factor.

Yes they do still wear the gun on their hip they also mount a motorcycle from the wrong side. They do both these things for tactical advantage not because its generally safe. Gun on the hip is more accessible in the even they need it. motorcycle mounting is for shielding from traffic.

For the most part i would think it would be fine to OC on the bike only concern i might have is if you ended up in an accident and ended up sliding any length the holster and or gun getting caught and wrenching you around suddenly. Kind of like high siding on a bike. The sliding wouldn't really be a concern really because you would have your riding gear on right? no T-shirt and shorts right?

FogRider

imported post

I just got back from a two hour ride with a gun on my hip. Wasn't really OCing much, but that's only because the holster I have on doesn't let me tuck my leather jacket comfortably, not because I don't want to OC on my bike.

prophettm

imported post

Hey, JUST FYI here, I live in KCMO and ride without my husband sometimes, so I did OC at those times.. Bad move..I found out too late, unfortunately..

My hip has severe bruising and it almost caused a wreck, but if you do want to OC, be sure to wear a shoulder harness and make sure it's tight-fitting. BE SAFE!!!

Tiny85

imported post

prophettm wrote:
Hey, JUST FYI here, I live in KCMO and ride without my husband sometimes, so I did OC at those times.. Bad move..I found out too late, unfortunately..

My hip has severe bruising and it almost caused a wreck, but if you do want to OC, be sure to wear a shoulder harness and make sure it's tight-fitting. BE SAFE!!!
Ok I have to ask how OCing could almost cause a wreck?

In no way am i doubting you just cant wrap my head round the idea. I would expect it to add more possible injury but never would have thought it would have caused a wreck. Gotta know cause its getting to be about the time for me to put the bike back together for spring riding.