• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Potomic mills mall

marine2000

imported post

All these malls namely a few such as Potomac Mills Mall, Fair Oaks Mall, Landmark mall, Springfield Mall.....all belong to a chain namely Simons Group

They all have zero-tolerance with firearms....

Tess

Founder's Club Member
imported post

marine2000 wrote:
All these malls namely a few such as Potomac Mills Mall, Fair Oaks Mall, Landmark mall, Springfield Mall.....all belong to a chain namely Simons Group

Cite?

Landmark Mall in Alexandria removed its signs some time ago? Have you seen them recently?

Springfield Mall is not posted, except on its (now-closed) theater, and on its website.

marine2000

imported post

I haven't been there for ages....

But ifIget the chance i will def. look it up.

I do remember seeing a red sign with white lettering but then that was quite some time ago.

I take my business elsewhere if our right to support 2A is being questioned.

TFred

imported post

marine2000 wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by "zero-tolerance" in this context.

I've only seen this used in the context of schools, or similar, where they expel you for one violation of whatever it is that the "zero-tolerance" is supposed to be referring to, but in the case of private property, what can they do besides ask you to leave?

I suppose worst case, they can ban you from the property, but that seems stupid even for the most rabid anti-gunner, who should still want you to come spend your money after you have removed your "offending" firearm.

TFred

leprechaun117

imported post

marine2000 wrote:

Fashion Square mall in Charlottesville is owned by Simon and posted "no weapons of any kind"

I don't go to the mall... Plenty of places to shop that allow me to carry.

ccunning

imported post

Tess wrote:
marine2000 wrote:

Cite?

Landmark Mall in Alexandria removed its signs some time ago? Have you seen them recently?

Springfield Mall is not posted, except on its (now-closed) theater, and on its website.
Agree. I've never seen a sign posted at Fair Oaks either.

og556

imported post

I work at what might be the busiest little store in Fair Oaks mall after transferring from its big brother store at Tysons Corner. I see people OC there and CC there frequently and not a single manager or staff member has ever had a problem with it. I saw the same at Tysons as well and even the regional/corporate types don't seem to have any issue with OC/CC at our stores here. I think its kind of funny because alot of people might think our company is a bunch of hippies from the mother ship in cupertino.

KBCraig

imported post

og556 wrote:
...a bunch of hippies from the mother ship in cupertino.
Oh, so you sell fruit! ;)

I wish I had one of those stores around here. Not that it matters if they never update the Mini, and never offer a mid-size, mid-range mini-tower in the $800-1200 category. In that case I'll be doomed to PC hardware and Hackintosh if I can get it working, or Ubuntu if I can't.:cry:

tsannicolas

imported post

ccunning wrote:
Tess wrote:
marine2000 wrote:

Cite?

there isn't a sign

i work in the mall and know most of the guards. they say it's not an official policy, but they will ask you to leave if they see you.

though, i've OC'd there quite a lot. and plan to tomorrow, as well

ccunning

imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
ccunning wrote:
Tess wrote:
marine2000 wrote:

Cite?

Landmark Mall in Alexandria removed its signs some time ago?  Have you seen them recently?

there isn't a sign

i work in the mall and know most of the guards.  they say it's not an official policy, but they will ask you to leave if they see you.

though, i've OC'd there quite a lot.  and plan to tomorrow, as well
If it isn't the property owners policy then do the security guards have the authority to make you leave? Would it be considered trespassing to ignore them?

tsannicolas

imported post

ccunning wrote:
If it isn't the property owners policy then do the security guards have the authority to make you leave? Would it be considered trespassing to ignore them?
yes, the security guards have the authority to ask you to leave. and yes, it would be considered trespassing

ccunning

imported post

tsannicolas wrote:
ccunning wrote:
yes, the security guards have the authority to ask you to leave. and yes, it would be considered trespassing
This doesn't to add up to me. You're essentially saying the security guards are setting the effective policy without regard to the property owner's wishes.

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
imported post

ccunning wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:
ccunning wrote:
This doesn't to add up to me. You're essentially saying the security guards are setting the effective policy without regard to the property owner's wishes.
Do we know it's not the property owners wishes? Just because they don't post doesn't mean they are not opposed to OC. Some business owners don't mind CC but oppose OC.

tsannicolas

imported post

ccunning wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:
ccunning wrote:
essentially, they're getting their directives from their superiors. i can only assume that since Simon group owns the mall, they follow their policy/procedure. though FOM has no signs posted, they can pretty much do whatever they want since they represent the company/owners

ccunning

imported post

Wolf_shadow wrote:
ccunning wrote:
tsannicolas wrote:
ccunning wrote:
Do we know it's not the property owners wishes? Just because they don't post doesn't mean they are not opposed to OC. Some business owners don't mind CC but oppose OC.
No we don't, but was curious to know what authority the guards had if they were not acting on the property owners wishes. I guess this isn't the place for hypothetical questions though