Thread: OC question

Post imported post

I have been a resident of NM for years and have owned and purchased a few guns over the years. I only Oc'd once here in Otero county. The one time I did I happened to be dropping off movies at our local blockbuster, which happened to get ran into by a ford explorer and the place was filled with local PD. I dropped off my movies with my 9mm on my hip in it's holster. They didn't say anything as I put the movies in the return box, but on my trip back to the car, they asked me if I had a permit to carry. I told them no, this state doesn't require a permit to OC. He told me he believed the city however does and that I shouldn't OC until I have one. I quickly left and haven't OC'ed since. I called the local PD here and they couldn't confirm a permit was needed. I called city hall and they told me to call the local PD. Does anyone actually know if a LTCF is needed in the city of Alamogordo?

Post imported post

BCurtis wrote:
    I have been a resident of NM for years and have owned and purchased a few guns over the years. I only Oc'd once here in Otero county. The one time I did I happened to be dropping off movies at our local blockbuster, which happened to get ran into by a ford explorer and the place was filled with local PD. I dropped off my movies with my 9mm on my hip in it's holster. They didn't say anything as I put the movies in the return box, but on my trip back to the car, they asked me if I had a permit to carry. I told them no, this state doesn't require a permit to OC. He told me he believed the city however does and that I shouldn't OC until I have one. I quickly left and haven't OC'ed since. I called the local PD here and they couldn't confirm a permit was needed. I called city hall and they told me to call the local PD. Does anyone actually know if a LTCF is needed in the city of Alamogordo?
    No permit is or can be required. This state has a preemption clause which disallows any government other than the state to make firearm rules. makes carrying a lot easier as you travel through NM.

No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms. (As amended November 2, 1971 and November 2, 1986.)

-Space

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

BCurtis,

Ask forum member SickTag...he lives in Alamogordo.

I don't know if he is posting as much as he has in the past but maybe you can PM him or something.

-- John D.

(formerly of Colorado Springs, CO)

Post imported post

Hello ,

I am newto OC,I am from CAL and Ivisit family in Taos is it ok to OC even through I am not a Res of N.M.?

Post imported post

Hello ,

I am newto OC,I am from CAL and Ivisit family in Taos is it ok to OC even through I am not a Res of N.M.?

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Georgie357,

In a one-word answer -- YES!

-- John D.

P.S. Backa few years (2006) Forum memberTaosGlock posted these comments...old info but might be useful for you:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...highlight=Taos

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_to...highlight=Taos

And, he said this in another:

"In the small New Mexican town of Taos where I live, most folks seem ok with open carry. The tourists are the ones who seem to notice OC'ers. When asked, I use the OC issue a chance to educate. Most folks are truly amazed to find out it is perfectly legal. Especially the tourists from places like CA, NJ, etc. And BTW-thanks for getting the new forum back for us jpierce.

Last edited on Sun May 21st, 2006 05:20 pm by TaosGlock"

...don't know if he is still there (even though he's apparently not posting here anymore) but maybe you can PM him...he could tell you everything you'd want to know probably.

-- JD

Post imported post

I open carry in Albuquerque all the time I've been into Wal Mart and Borders several times and noone has said a word to me
    A gun Owner Is A Citizen
    Anyone Else is a Subject

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Maybe they didn't notice...most people don't (probably because the average person is not expecting to see another non-cop person carrying -- because it is so uncommon -- so consequently they're not looking for it). So it's hard to say for sure why there was no reaction. I HOPE lots of people saw you and just didn't care/freak-out about it, but who knows.

I might take a trip in May up to Rio Rancho to visit my sister...if so, maybe we can get some ABQ OC-ers together to go for coffee somewhere...but not at a Flying Star, of course!

-- John D.

Post imported post

i never go anywhere without OCing. unless it's to court or something along those lines. over all it's been a good experience. a bump in the road here or there some bigger than others but good to go mostly. i'd be down to drive up to alb for an oc get together. it'd be an excuse to ride the bike.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Just sold my Honda V-Twin cruiser a few months ago...partly because it was rusting away down here on the island faster than I had expected!

That's one thing I like about West TX, NM and AZ: Cars and bikes can last forever ina dry desert environment.

Not here though.

-- John D.

Post imported post

cloudcroft wrote:
    Maybe they didn't notice...most people don't (probably because the average person is not expecting to see another non-cop person carrying -- because it is so uncommon -- so consequently they're not looking for it). So it's hard to say for sure why there was no reaction. I HOPE lots of people saw you and just didn't care/freak-out about it, but who knows.

I might take a trip in May up to Rio Rancho to visit my sister...if so, maybe we can get some ABQ OC-ers together to go for coffee somewhere...but not at a Flying Star, of course!

-- John D.
    We shoulddo coffee... I live in Rio Rancho too.

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

Nitrox314,

Sounds good.

If I get up to Rio Rancho as planned, I can give you a call...will PM you first.

Maybe we can meet with the Edgewood people, also.

-- John D.