• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Would you be willing to shoot your own dog?

Kildars

imported post

This question came up to me when I was talking about my American Pit Bull Terrier. The owner was avidly anti-pit bull (probably anti-gun too) but he saw mine on my hip and asked me what I would do if my dog was fighting another dog. I told him I would break it up and move on. He asked what if it did serious damage to the other dog. I said I would have to find out which dog started the fight because just because I have a pit does NOT mean he was the primary agressor. He asked what I would do if I saw my dog either about to attack (and not listening to commands) or already attacking a human. I said if i could safely shoot the dog to save the persons life I would, or I would be willing to put my dog down if he attacked a human.

What about you? Would you be willing to shoot your own dog to save a life?

.45ballers

imported post

Kildars wrote:
This question came up to me when I was talking about my American Pit Bull Terrier. The owner was avidly anti-pit bull (probably anti-gun too) but he saw mine on my hip and asked me what I would do if my dog was fighting another dog. I told him I would break it up and move on. He asked what if it did serious damage to the other dog. I said I would have to find out which dog started the fight because just because I have a pit does NOT mean he was the primary agressor. He asked what I would do if I saw my dog either about to attack (and not listening to commands) or already attacking a human. I said if i could safely shoot the dog to save the persons life I would, or I would be willing to put my dog down if he attacked a human.

What about you? Would you be willing to shoot your own dog to save a life?
I would never own a dog that I would have ANY doubts about. Now If my dog was sick (terminally), or messed up from a car. Then I would shoot it.

Kildars

imported post

I don't have any doubts. My dog has never shown agression, but, any dog could show agression at some point. This is just a fact w/ dog ownership. Obviously proper socialization, training, and keeping an eye on your dog minimzes these risks.

jddssc121

imported post

I had to do it once. I had a Doberman that turned on me. Didn't hesitate.

I loved the dog, but human life comes first. It sucks that I had to do it, but I don't regret it. If presented with the same situation, I would do it again.

Prophet

imported post

If my dog turned on me then probably. If i came across the dog attacking someone else? Probably not, i would cover the distance tackle the dog and clamped my hands around his muzzle. I am quicker to give the benefit of the doubt to an animals innocence than I am a humans.

I remember a story of a little brat that got mauled by a neighbors dog, a very friendly, family dog. What the press buried in the story and the court ignored was that the dog attacked because this punk took a pencil and drove it deeply into the dogs ear. Unfortunately they authorities put the dog down when they should of thrown the little bastard human into lock up or at at least beat the crap of him.

In other words, im gonna assume my dog has a reason to be attacking before i would ever think about shooting it.

Manu

imported post

jddssc121 wrote:
I had to do it once. I had a Doberman that turned on me. Didn't hesitate.

I loved the dog, but human life comes first. It sucks that I had to do it, but I don't regret it. If presented with the same situation, I would do it again.
I have same kind of experience with Doberman and unfortunately my dog met the same results, as you said If I have to do it again to save somebodies life or mine I'll do it again without a second thought.

tat2ed_guy

imported post

I had to do it once, my sharpei bit off my ex-wifes sons nipple. At the time it was hard to deal with but sometimes things happen. If I could have waited a week more I wouldnt have had to shoot him. Hince the term (ex-wife):banghead:. Would have been better off marrying the dog.

ghosthunter

imported post

In this day and ageI cannot understand why anyone would want a dog that attacks humans at all.I have a Lab but she has never even growled at a human or even another dog. If she ever did she would be gone.

There is way to much at stake to own a dog like that. I do not think breed has much to do with it. People get dogs who have no business owning one. It takes time and effort to socialize a dog. And lots of folks just do not take the time. The one thing that riles me is seeing some kid being drug down the street by a dog that out weighs them. No way that they are in control of that animal.

fetch

imported post

Interesting question, I have had a mixed breed dog that had let little children pull on his ears and not made a move. I have had a rabbit that barked and would attack my shoe. I have had a cat that would scratch my arm, but a great mouser.
My current dog is also a mixed breed, and very territorial. A strange dog at about 60 lbs. Even the vet says he has "issues". Do not come up to my car when he and I are it. Do not come up to my house uninvited. Yet, one word from me and he will sit quiet at my side. On a walk, last summer, he was attacked by two Great Danes, their owner could not control the dogs. All dogs were on leashes. The attack was unprovoked. I had my .45 holstered but did not even want to draw it. My dog got free, ran home and sat on the porch. The owner of the Danes paid the vet bill. Dogs are animals, we make them "pets".
I guess what I am writing is, as keepers of animals we are responsible for their actions. I have a beautiful place picked out in the country for him to be buried when the time comes.

Trigger Dr

imported post

I had a small dog, breed unknown, I think opsolasa? The dog never had shown any sign of agression. After dinner one evening, my youngest daughter took some bones (BBQ Ribs) out to the dog and he grabbed her arm. Blood everywhere. the dog died on the spot.

3 years ago, I was clearing brush in my back yard and I was attacked by 2 pit bulls. Another story for another time. End result bad news for dog owner, cost him a lot of money and 2 dogs.

Pit Bulls = moving target as far as I am concerned. Let the flames begin.

.45ballers

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
I had a small dog, breed unknown, I think opsolasa? The dog never had shown any sign of agression. After dinner one evening, my youngest daughter took some bones (BBQ Ribs) out to the dog and he grabbed her arm. Blood everywhere. the dog died on the spot.

3 years ago, I was clearing brush in my back yard and I was attacked by 2 pit bulls. Another story for another time. End result bad news for dog owner, cost him a lot of money and 2 dogs.

I agree about the pit bulls part. A neighbor of mines breeds them. Every punk that thinks there cool comes by and buys one. Sometimes they get loose and the nieghborhood goes into lockdown. The dogs that are bread in my neighborhood are bred for one reason. Not to be the cudly,freindly type. Since we live in a unicorporated private area of Sno County animal control has there hands tied.

One day two of them got loose and literaly tore a cat in two. His kids were screaming in terror. His answer was to pick up one of the dogs throw it against his house and beat it to death with a shovel. I personally feel that Pit bulls are a bad breed of dog.

Kildars

imported post

.45ballers wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:

I agree about the pit bulls part. A neighbor of mines breeds them. Every punk that thinks there cool comes by and buys one. Sometimes they get loose and the nieghborhood goes into lockdown. The dogs that are bread in my neighborhood are bred for one reason. Not to be the cudly,freindly type. Since we live in a unicorporated private area of Sno County animal control has there hands tied.

One day two of them got loose and literaly tore a cat in two. His kids were screaming in terror. His answer was to pick up one of the dogs throw it against his house and beat it to death with a shovel. I personally feel that Pit bulls are a bad breed of dog.
Based on what? One attack? That's like saying I feel like gun owners are a bad breed of people because they use guns and those guns sometimes kill people.

Kildars

imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:

I wouldn't start shooting at Pit Bull (APBT) dogs, especially mine. Someone might shoot back. I'm sorry about your attack but that does not mean all pit bulls are to be put down or are moving targets. Mine is loving, and has never shown signs of aggression. They also score higher on the temperament scale that a lot of other "nice" dogs.

Kildars

imported post

I know that I am prepared to take mine down if need be in order to save mine or another life. I think that we, as gun owners, since we prepare that we may someday have to take a human life to same another it makes it easier to take a dogs life even if it is our own.

.45ballers

imported post

Kildars wrote:
.45ballers wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:

Based on what? One attack? That's like saying I feel like gun owners are a bad breed of people because they use guns and those guns sometimes kill people.
LOL, I was waiting to get a comment like that. Look guns dont kill people, peoplekill people! Plain and simple, if I abuse my gun or dont feed it, or maby I mistreat it. My GUN will never attack anything! Animals DO some animals are more prone than others. Please NEVER compare a dog to a gun...

sv_libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

Shoot Fluffy? Poor little Fluffy? Why he is the kindest brain damaged, half deaf Doberman/Rot mix I have ever owned. Poor fellow, would never hurt anything larger than a small cow.
2275358971_a288e141e5.jpg

Seriously though if you own a dog and have to ask yourself if you would be willing to shoot it, two things come to mind. First; you dont' trust your dog, and/or your ability to control it at all times. Second; you hold it's life in higher regard than you should. If your dog is dangerous enough to wonder about having to shoot someday or under certain circumstances, then trade it in for a Yorkie.

.45ballers

imported post

Kildars wrote:
Trigger Dr wrote:

I wouldn't start shooting at Pit Bull (APBT) dogs, especially mine. Someone might shoot back.
Why do you have to get defensive about his comment he was describing an incedent with pit bulls that attacked him. NOT YOURS!!! With an attitude like yours maby you should reconsider carrying a gun?