Thread: Anyone bought a Garand from the CMP?

Post imported post

I am sort of getting the itch for a service grade :shock:

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Yes, but it was 10 years ago.

Post imported post

My true story about the M1 Garand, which I consider to be one hell of a long range small arms weapon.

In the early 1960's, as I was being discharged from US Army active duty, while processing paperwork at company headquarters, I was asked if I wanted to purchase my issued M1 Garand.

My nearly new H&R M1 Garand would cost me just $63. I turned down the offer and it was sometime later, early 90's before I would buy a M1 Garand -- a well used Springfield rebuild, for about $250, which I sold before leaving for Arizona.

I believe the GCA of 68 put a stop to that practice of allowing servicemen to purchase their weapons for civilian use.

Can anyone else jump in with more info??

Post imported post

Several weeks ago, my Service Grade, Harrington and Richardson M-1 came via Fed Ex. I am very pleased with it's overall condition. The stock is new, the barrel appears to be in very good condition, and there are but a few minor blemishes on the finish; mostly near the muzzle; and there is no rust. The only thing that is wrong with the rifle is that one side of the rear sight is broken off, but the sight itself is still serviceable. It appears that replacement sights are readily available. I have been linseed oiling the stock and it looks really nice. Finding ammo was not too difficult; Wal-Mart had some boxes of 150 grain left. I took it to the NRA range and it functioned flawlessly. Perhaps I had "good luck" of the draw; go ahead and get one before Obama finds out that they exist and orders them melted down!

Founder's Club Member

Post imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
    Several weeks ago, my Service Grade, Harrington and Richardson M-1 came via Fed Ex. I am very pleased with it's overall condition. The stock is new, the barrel appears to be in very good condition, and there are but a few minor blemishes on the finish; mostly near the muzzle; and there is no rust. The only thing that is wrong with the rifle is that one side of the rear sight is broken off, but the sight itself is still serviceable. It appears that replacement sights are readily available. I have been linseed oiling the stock and it looks really nice. Finding ammo was not too difficult; Wal-Mart had some boxes of 150 grain left. I took it to the NRA range and it functioned flawlessly. Perhaps I had "good luck" of the draw; go ahead and get one before Obama finds out that they exist and orders them melted down!
    Don, check here for ammo (in the enbloc clips) from CMP...

http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalo...st&cat=AMC

Looks like you better get it now, since they have a lot less than when I last ordered.

Post imported post

Thanks...I got some from Cabelas to start me off and then got some empty cases. I reload and have a good stock of powder and primers. So I am good. I got the 8 round clips from Cheaper than Dirt.

These rifles are FUN to shoot...enjoy!

Don

Post imported post

GWBiker, not sure, but $60 would have been a hell of a deal!

Don, you are making me jealous!