• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone bought a Garand from the CMP?

GWbiker

imported post

My true story about the M1 Garand, which I consider to be one hell of a long range small arms weapon.

In the early 1960's, as I was being discharged from US Army active duty, while processing paperwork at company headquarters, I was asked if I wanted to purchase my issued M1 Garand.

My nearly new H&R M1 Garand would cost me just $63. I turned down the offer and it was sometime later, early 90's before I would buy a M1 Garand -- a well used Springfield rebuild, for about $250, which I sold before leaving for Arizona.:banghead:

I believe the GCA of 68 put a stop to that practice of allowing servicemen to purchase their weapons for civilian use.

Can anyone else jump in with more info??

Don Barnett

imported post

Several weeks ago, my Service Grade, Harrington and Richardson M-1 came via Fed Ex. I am very pleased with it's overall condition. The stock is new, the barrel appears to be in very good condition, and there are but a few minor blemishes on the finish; mostly near the muzzle; and there is no rust. The only thing that is wrong with the rifle is that one side of the rear sight is broken off, but the sight itself is still serviceable. It appears that replacement sights are readily available. I have been linseed oiling the stock and it looks really nice. Finding ammo was not too difficult; Wal-Mart had some boxes of 150 grain left. I took it to the NRA range and it functioned flawlessly. Perhaps I had "good luck" of the draw; go ahead and get one before Obama finds out that they exist and orders them melted down!

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Don Barnett wrote:
Several weeks ago, my Service Grade, Harrington and Richardson M-1 came via Fed Ex. I am very pleased with it's overall condition. The stock is new, the barrel appears to be in very good condition, and there are but a few minor blemishes on the finish; mostly near the muzzle; and there is no rust. The only thing that is wrong with the rifle is that one side of the rear sight is broken off, but the sight itself is still serviceable. It appears that replacement sights are readily available. I have been linseed oiling the stock and it looks really nice. Finding ammo was not too difficult; Wal-Mart had some boxes of 150 grain left. I took it to the NRA range and it functioned flawlessly. Perhaps I had "good luck" of the draw; go ahead and get one before Obama finds out that they exist and orders them melted down!

Don, check here for ammo (in the enbloc clips) from CMP...

http://estore.odcmp.com/store/catalog/catalog.aspx?pg=catalogList&cat=AMC

Looks like you better get it now, since they have a lot less than when I last ordered.

Don Barnett

imported post

Thanks...I got some from Cabelas to start me off and then got some empty cases. I reload and have a good stock of powder and primers. So I am good. I got the 8 round clips from Cheaper than Dirt.

These rifles are FUN to shoot...enjoy!

Don