• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When going OC loaded/unloaded

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

fire_man2340 wrote:
When going OC is it legal or illegal to have a round in the chamber. To minny diffrent answers

In Virginia, it makes no difference. In practice and in order to be properly prepared, you should always carry in full battery (round in chamber). Depending upon what kind of sidearm you're using, this may or may not be an issue with you.

But as far as Virginia law is concerned, it makes no difference.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

va_tazdad wrote:
Why would you not have one chambered?

Legeal either way :exclaim:

I get this question all the time in class.

Some folks simply feel that without one the chamber, their level of safety increases. As we all know, that mode of carry actually puts them at greater risk.

Also, a lot of folks with a military background were trained to carry their weapon unchambered. Old habits are hard to break.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

fire_man234 - It seems that in this and other threads, you have raised a number of questions that would probably be covered by taking some kind of handgun training course.

I encourage you to check in your area and find a class that will answer these questions for you. There are many fine instructors on this board and in Virginia would can answer all of your questions. Training is always highly encouraged. As always, the folks here are willing to help as well.

darthmord

imported post

ProShooter wrote:
va_tazdad wrote:
Why would you not have one chambered?

Legeal either way :exclaim:

I get this question all the time in class.

Some folks simply feel that without one the chamber, their level of safety increases. As we all know, that mode of carry actually puts them at greater risk.

Also, a lot of folks with a military background were trained to carry their weapon unchambered. Old habits are hard to break.

ProShooter, I agree. The whole thing deals with level of Risk vs AD/ND as well as You vs BG. Typically, as one goes down, the other goes up.

At what risk level are *you* the end user comfortable? Some of us are comfortable with keeping a firearm at absolute readiness such that upon squeezing the trigger, the gun goes bang.

Others want to keep it to where a round must be chambered before use. Others like it even safer and keep the magazine & gun separate until used.

The thing is, each one of those above settings raises your personal risk level making you increasingly unsafe vs a BG.

Mine are ready for use the moment they leave the holster. I'd rather deal with the legal issues of AD/ND than of dealing with a BG intent upon harm.

wylde007

imported post

darthmord wrote:
Mine are ready for use the moment they leave the holster. I'd rather deal with the legal issues of AD/ND than of dealing with a BG intent upon harm.
I don't recall what you carry, but in my case (S&W686+ w/hammer retention or Glock 19 in Check Six or Serpa) there is very little chance of AD. I have tried (empty, of course) to fire my 686 in the holster with the hammer retention closed and it won't budge. I mean, you'd have to be a total BEAST to get it to fire while holstered... and that still doesn't really qualify as AD.

As for the Glock, unless removed from the holster, it CANNOT go off. Glock has been VERY SPECIFIC about their trigger group and three-stage safety design. Unless you trigger the gun correctly, it won't go off.

It certainly isn't going off in the holster.

And the only reason it should ever be out is if you intend to fire it.

useful_idiot

Founder's Club Member
imported post

ProShooter wrote:
fire_man234 - It seems that in this and other threads, you have raised a number of questions that would probably be covered by taking some kind of handgun training course.
As Sheriff would say, "Bingo! We have a winner!"

The value of NRA classes and other more defensive oriented classes cannot be overstated.

According to the statutes, Open carry is legal and there is no difference between carrying a loaded magazine with or without a round chambered in Virginia (IANAL--I am not a lawyer and not giving you legal advice).

:cool:

hometheaterman

imported post

Anyway this and the other thread just like this could be merged together? I'm finding it hard to figure out which thread I want to look in so I have to read both.

darthmord

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
darthmord wrote:
I don't recall what you carry, but in my case (S&W686+ w/hammer retention or Glock 19 in Check Six or Serpa) there is very little chance of AD. I have tried (empty, of course) to fire my 686 in the holster with the hammer retention closed and it won't budge. I mean, you'd have to be a total BEAST to get it to fire while holstered... and that still doesn't really qualify as AD.

As for the Glock, unless removed from the holster, it CANNOT go off. Glock has been VERY SPECIFIC about their trigger group and three-stage safety design. Unless you trigger the gun correctly, it won't go off.

It certainly isn't going off in the holster.

And the only reason it should ever be out is if you intend to fire it.

Everything I may (or may not) have would require me to have my fingers actively engaging the trigger (with safety off) in order to fire. Thatdoesn't happen unless I'm going to shoot.

I've yet to have any instances of AD/ND growing up through present day. I intend to keep it that way too.

Neplusultra

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
Only for routine cleaning and oiling, of course.
Of course. Obviously for that!:lol:

I gotta say, I like this forum a little more every day.

:celebrate
They forgot to mention about taking it out and caressing it :^). But you only do that when no one else is around, from what I hear.... :^).

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

Neplusultra wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
virginiatuck wrote:
Only for routine cleaning and oiling, of course.
Of course. Obviously for that!:lol:

I gotta say, I like this forum a little more every day.

:celebrate
They forgot to mention about taking it out and caressing it :^). But you only do that when no one else is around, from what I hear.... :^).

Oh you naughty boy.

mlands

imported post

I can't imagine not having a round chambered. When necessary all you should have to do is lift the gun out of the holster, aim, and shoot. At that "moment of truth" you do not want to be fumbling trying to chamber a round. More steps added to make the gun fire just compounds stress and causes a delay that could result in death. Most people may do quite well at the gun range but in a real situation even seasoned cops can screw up or can fumble nervously. Keep it simple.

Bullbuster

imported post

When I OC its 10 in the mag, 1 in the chamber and usually the safety off.

I know some states require that the chamber be empty or no mag inserted at all but I don't see the point. Excuse me while I load my gun to defend myself.