• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun control bill considered. Measure ... to prevent mentally ill from getting weapons criticized

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

http://www.lvrj.com/news/40021047.html

CARSON CITY -- Lawmakers were asked Friday to support a bill stepping up record-keeping to help prevent the mentally ill from obtaining guns, but they were warned by a critic of the plan that it's a "stacked deck" targeting constitutional rights.
Deputy Attorney General Kerry Benson told Assembly Judiciary Committee members that Assembly Bill 46 is required under a 2007 federal law change and federal funds could be lost if it's not passed.

Nevada must make, Benson said, a "reasonable attempt" to comply with the federal law which was approved after the 2007 mass shootings at Virginia Tech that left 33 people dead, including the gunman whose prior psychiatric treatment wasn't listed in records checked by gun dealers who sold him weapons.
Under AB46, any court records on mental competency, insanity pleas, forced admissions to mental health facilities or appointments of a guardian for someone deemed to be incompetent would have to be forwarded to the state's central repository for crime records.
The repository would transmit the court records to the federal criminal background database, which gets queries from gun dealers when someone tries to buy weapons.
Benson said AB46 includes a way for someone to petition a court to determine whether there's still a basis for prohibiting gun ownership, but an American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada representative said the protections in the bill aren't enough.
Rebecca Gasca of the ACLU said the bill "presents a stacked deck against Nevadans and their constitutional rights" by making it easy for them to lose their constitutional rights to own weapons and "a huge uphill battle" to get those rights restored.
Gasca said full due process rights are mandated when constitutional rights are at stake, and that the due process requirement isn't met in AB46.
She added that there's no requirement on the state to update a record submitted to the federal database, and there's even a provision giving them immunity from lawsuits for errors or inaction.
Because Nevada officials couldn't guarantee that the federal database would be corrected in the event of an error or a restoration of rights, Gasca said, Nevadans entitled to have weapons could instead wind up with "a lifelong gun ban by the feds."
Assembly Judiciary Chairman Bernie Anderson, D-Sparks, questioned whether Gasca was suggesting that the state should have some sort of control over the federal government.
Gasca said that's not what she was suggesting, but added, "Our state does have a long history of questioning overarching federal rules and keeping wary and being very careful in considering the individual rights" under the federal and Nevada constitutions.

ourmanthejoker

imported post

[size=[color="#000042"]My good legislators and nevadans,

My name is David ***********]
. I am an Airman in the United states air force. Over the last few years I have seen our beloved freedoms be taken away, infringed, and ignored by the federal government. Our second amendment rights most of all, we will soon lose if we do not act soon. As a resident of nevada, and a US citizen, I desperately urge you and the other state officials to reassert our state's sovereignty in the interest of our constitutional rights. Let us follow in the path of the many other states. I eagerly wait your response. I would like to know what the state's position is on the subject of sovereignty, if any bills are being drafted, etc.

Thank you very much for your time. You may reply to this email or my work/government email at **********

Regards,
David **********
Nevada Resident
United States Air Force

[/color][/size][align=left]I'd love to do this, but I'm out of bills.[/align] Assemblyman Ty Cobb

ourmanthejoker

imported post

and the other response

David,

Thanks for writing.

Kindly, tell me what bills you are concerned about.

PA

(paul aizley)