• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

CCW shall issue bill now in play!

eflatminor

imported post

I spoke with AssemblymanKnight's office in Sacramento this morning. He has introduced a bill (AB357) that would make California a SHALL issue state for CCWs. While it's always a good idea to contact YOUR assemblyman to show support, Mr Knight's assistant urged me to send or fax a letter to his office. The idea being that each letter received will help in justifying support. We've got 31 days (after 2/19) until the bill goes to the safety committee, probably followed by the rules committee. Either way, call the representative of your district and please send or fax a letter in support of AB357 to Mr Knight's office:

Steve Knight
State Capitol
Sacramento, CA 95814
(916) 319-2036, (916) 319-2136 fax

Heck, even if you don't live in California, send a letter! What could it hurt?

demnogis

imported post

Hell yes! Great freakin news!

I advocate OC, but I would also like the option of conceal carry in certain occasions... Should I be riding past a school or having to send some packages from the local Post Office...

Here's an interactive map to help you contact your assembly person:
http://www.legislature.ca.gov/legislators_and_districts/districts/assemblydistricts.html

Can you please provide a link to the AB 357 legislature? I can't seem to find it. Only one I see is from 2007 and it was a shot-down teaching expenditure bill.

eflatminor

imported post

ASSEMBLY BILL No. 357 Introduced by Assembly Member Knight
February 19, 2009
An act to amend Section 12050 of the Penal Code, relating to firearms.
legislative counsel’s digest
AB 357, as introduced, Knight. Firearms: license to carry concealed firearm.
Existing law authorizes the sheriff of a county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists, and that the person applying satisfies any one of certain conditions, as specified, to issue a license for the person to carry a concealed handgun, as specified. This bill would delete the good cause requirement, and require the sheriff to issue the license if the other criteria described above are met. By imposing additional duties on local law enforcement agencies, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program. The California Constitution requires the state to reimburse local agencies and school districts for certain costs mandated by the state. Statutory provisions establish procedures for making that reimbursement. This bill would provide that, if the Commission on State Mandates determines that the bill contains costs mandated by the state,
reimbursement for those costs shall be made pursuant to these statutory provisions.

The people of the State of California do enact as follows:
SECTION 1. Section 12050 of the Penal Code is amended to read:
12050. (a) (1) (A) The sheriff of a county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, that good cause exists for the issuance, and that the person applying satisfies any one of the conditions specified in subparagraph (D) and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may shall issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver,or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of the following formats:
(i) A license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(ii) Where the population of the county is less than 200,000 persons according to the most recent federal decennial census, a license to carry loaded and exposed in that county a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

mjones

imported post

eflatminor wrote:
The people of the State of California do enact as follows:
12050. (a) (1) (A) The sheriff of a county, upon proof that the person applying is of good moral character, That good cause exists for the issuance,and that the person applying satisfies any one of the conditions specified in subparagraph (D) and has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E), may shall issue to that person a license to carry a pistol, revolver,or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in either one of the following formats:
(i) A license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.
(ii) Where the population of the county is less than 200,000 persons according to the most recent federal decennial census, a license to carry loaded and exposed in that county a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

clarification...

italictext = stricken

Bold text = addition

12050. (a) (1) (A) The sheriff of a county, upon proof that the
person applying is of good moral character , that good cause
exists for the issuance,
and that the person applying
satisfies any one of the conditions specified in subparagraph (D) and
has completed a course of training as described in subparagraph (E),
may shall issue to that person a
license to carry a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of
being concealed upon the person in either one of the following
formats:
(i) A license to carry concealed a pistol, revolver, or other
firearm capable of being concealed upon the person.

mjones

imported post

...and with regard to Open Carry...

Interestingly, this would also make LOC Licenses Shall Issue in 31 of 58 Counties. However the LOC license is only valid in the county of issuance

County Populations

CA_Libertarian

State Researcher
imported post

mjones wrote:

Interestingly, this would also make LOC Licenses Shall Issue in 31 of 58 Counties. However the LOC license is only valid in the county of issuance

County Populations
For those willing to take the test and pay the tax, a CCW license would exempt them from 12025, 12031, and 626.9.

So long as there is a test and a tax, I refuse to get a CCW. I think a background check to make sure you're not a prohibited person is about as intrusive as I would endure.

Native

imported post

I went and read the bill online and as I read it as you read down it, if you live in the city you still have to show good cause. I live in a town of 46,000 and here our City Police Chief takes the CCW app for people who live in the city limits. I did not see a shall issue change for Police Chiefs. Someone please correct me and make me feel better here!!!!!!!! I feel cheated about that. I read the HTML version of the bill.

mjones

imported post

CA_Libertarian wrote:
mjones wrote:

County Populations
For those willing to take the test and pay the tax, a CCW license would exempt them from 12025, 12031, and 626.9.

So long as there is a test and a tax, I refuse to get a CCW. I think a background check to make sure you're not a prohibited person is about as intrusive as I would endure.
Also 171b

grumpycoconut

imported post

Here's the text of an e-mail I just sent to my assembly member urging him to support AB 357. I wonder how many other rhetorical approaches, beside hollering about the 2nd ammendment and endlessly qouting other states ctatistics, we can come up with to convince our politicians that guns is ok fur us reglar folks.

-

Dear Assembly Member Mendoza,

I am a resident of Norwalk and am writing you to ask for your support of Assembly Member Knight's recently introduced bill making California a "shall issue" state with regard to permits to carry a concealed firearm (CCW).

I know that firearms in general are a hot button issue and any change to firearms laws are politically sensitive but I believe that limiting the authority of county sheriff's to decide who is worthy of being treated like an adult can help make this particular gun issue less sensitive. One need only look at Orange County to see how damaging and divisive an individual sheriff's CCW issuance policies can be. Sheriff Carona is alleged to have handed out CCW's to wealthy political donors as political pay back. Now Sheriff Hutchins is at odds with many Orange County residents and her own board of supervisors over her LA County style decision to thin the ranks of CCW holders in her new county. Her actions are the subject of nationwide discussion and derision among gun owners and are frequently used to bolster the opinion that the Demokratik People's Republik of Kalifornia has no use for citizens having the right and ability to determine their own fates. Legislating that Sheriffs must issue CCWs to honorable citizens who apply and have proven themselves law abiding and properly trained removes yet another opportunity for corruption and political favoritism.

I have served as a police officer in Orange County for over 11 years and I find it deeply disquieting that the legislators who's laws I have enforced hold their constituents in such contempt that they routinely deny them the ability to possess the means with which to defend their very lives out of some sense that regular people can't be trusted with dangerous tools. I can tell you from experience that when people needed me immediately to defend them from violent attack, I was always several minutes away. I am allowed to drive a big heavy dangerous car at really high speeds, poison myself with tobacco and alcohol and be irresponsible in raising my children with minimal interference from my government but I am virtually prohibited from even asking permission to do something that a growing number of Americans can practically take for granted. In Los Angeles County it is almost impossible to get a CCW from Sheriff Baca unless you are rich or a celebrity and are owed a political favor or are one of the people that these people pay to protect them from normal people.

There are so many other reasons to support Assembly Member Knight's bill but I have purposely limited my argument knowing that others of your constituents are likely to make those other points for me.

Please support Assembly Member Knight's bill. Eliminate one more avenue for political corruption. Support the right of Californians to possess the means to be safe. Support fairness for the Citizens of California.

Should you ever wish to speak with me on this topic I would be honored to do so.

Thank you for your time and service,

Respectfully yours,

Grumpycoconut

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
not to be a buzz kill, but what does it mean to be a "shall" issue state?

"May issue" means that if you fulfill all the requirements of the law, the Sheriff or Chief of Police has the option to issue a CCW. That means that if they are having a bad day, or don't like your hair, they can tell you to buzz off.

"Shall issue" means that if you fulfill the requirements of the law, the Sheriff of Chief of Police must issue a CCW. They don't have an option.

Shall issue would be a major advance for CA gun rights. Out here in CO we are a shall issue state and off the top of my head I can list about 30-40 people I know personally who have a CCW. And I live in a small town.

I can't name one person from Cali who has one, and I lived there for 16(+/-) years. Not even my dad, who is an ex-deputy from CA.

mjones

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
well then that sounds very exciting. i have to wait a full year before i can get a ccw. i am only 20. :cry:

I never looked into it before, but a just took a quick re-peak at PC 12050- 12054. I don't see any age restrictions on the license. It does have language stating that you can't be a prohibited person, so I think that would cover ages 18+

Did I miss anything or on this gentleman?

edit: I also just noticed you are in Fresno...you might be able to apply right now if there isn't an age restriction I missed

poothrowingape

imported post

welli am licensed to carry a firearm while working as a security guard but it all seems useless since i cant own a handgun until i am 21.

however if what you say is true then i would go get one at the drop of a hat. my brother and mom are getting ccw's soon and i would love to go get one aswell.

but yes i am in fresno and our sheriff Margret Mims is doing a great job with issueingCCW's. Ill be voting for her again.

demnogis

imported post

I just sent an e-mail through the assembly website to my assembly person (Mr. DeVore). I'm unsure on his history, stance, etc but hopefully a few more like-minded individuals can send in e-mails as well to help garner support for our district.

fighting_for_freedom

imported post

poothrowingape wrote:
welli am licensed to carry a firearm while working as a security guard but it all seems useless since i cant own a handgun until i am 21.

however if what you say is true then i would go get one at the drop of a hat. my brother and mom are getting ccw's soon and i would love to go get one aswell.

but yes i am in fresno and our sheriff Margret Mims is doing a great job with issueingCCW's. Ill be voting for her again.

Not sure, but you can OWN a handgun over the age of 18, you just can't BUY a handgun or ammo from a DEALER. No restrictions on private party buys though I believe.

It would really suck if I couldn't own a handgun in Cali at age 20... since I currently have, um... let's see... 5 handguns. All bought private party, out of California.

I don't exactly know how private party transfers work in CA, maybe some of the more senior members here could enlighten us?

poothrowingape

imported post

fighting_for_freedom wrote:
Not sure, but you can OWN a handgun over the age of 18, you just can't BUY a handgun or ammo from a DEALER. No restrictions on private party buys though I believe.

It would really suck if I couldn't own a handgun in Cali at age 20... since I currently have, um... let's see... 5 handguns. All bought private party, out of California.

I don't exactly know how private party transfers work in CA, maybe some of the more senior members here could enlighten us?

wow well thank you for the clear up. my father actually is wanting to give me a gun so now i guess i legally can. and since its from child to parrent or grandparrent i can to it without an ffl too.

My mother did that; when she bought us guns for christmas she found out all we have to do is fill out a form and send it in along with the19 dollar payment. When its accepted the DOJ will send you letter confirmation for hand guns, but not for long guns.

poothrowingape

imported post

fighting_for_freedom wrote:

What exact law is it that states u only have to be 18 to own a hand gun? i cant find it for the life of me

Edit: dissregard. i spoke to a police officer and he told me it was legal.