• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Walk Request

IxionDeece

imported post

I think we should have an OC walk here in the Piqua,Troy, Sidney area.There are alot of people around here that I am sure not only done know about us,but are also unaware of OC rights. My best friend for 12 years wasnt even completely aware of it and he is the biggest gun rights people that I know.I am also confident that with enough prior knowledge of the event I am sure that we can get a pretty large gathering....expecially if we set one up and start spreading the word. This is another area that I believe needs some good education and information about their rights as civilians.

Will whomever organizes these things please let me know what you think of the idea,cause I think it is time for something like this around in this area......Thanks

Dustin

Lthrnck

imported post

Come to the Open Carry Ohio meeting on Thursday.

It's at Hasty Tasty Pancake House, on Linden Ave. in Dayton. We will be starting at 5:00pm.

I know Piqua is about a 45 minute drive so make it if you can.

xD.45Service

imported post

I definately agree i was in walmart in Troy Saturday night Mar.14th and as i walked in the greeter gave me a dirty look, I simply said hello and contnued in, well moments after walking in i heara page for management soon after there are about 4 managers walking by and i looked at one and he said real loudly, 'Sir I see that you have a firearm I need you to leave immediately' so i explained to him that open carry was legal of course and that i had talked to management in sidney and They had said it was fine. He still made me leave. I have spoken with a few LEOs in Sidney and they told me that if i open carry they will arrest me for inducing panic. So, I agree Piqua/Sidney/Troy would be a great place to have a walk, Educate some people.

IxionDeece

imported post

xD.45Service wrote:
I definately agree i was in walmart in Troy Saturday night Mar.14th and as i walked in the greeter gave me a dirty look, I simply said hello and contnued in, well moments after walking in i heara page for management soon after there are about 4 managers walking by and i looked at one and he said real loudly, 'Sir I see that you have a firearm I need you to leave immediately' so i explained to him that open carry was legal of course and that i had talked to management in sidney and They had said it was fine. He still made me leave. I have spoken with a few LEOs in Sidney and they told me that if i open carry they will arrest me for inducing panic. So, I agree Piqua/Sidney/Troy would be a great place to have a walk, Educate some people.
Personally what I do is when I do decide to OC here soon. I keep a few pages that I printed out with a list of Ohio Revised Codes that they might try and charge you with. Including inducing panic...which they cannot do. I personally havent had an encounter with the LEO's in a bad way yet. But I would advise either printing the codes out....or memorizing them. If they still decide to try and do something illegal, all I can say is get a good lawyer.Actually if needed talk to the guy that goes by color of law.I believe that is his name. He knows a few gun rights lawyers, or at least I heard. Good luck.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

xD.45Service wrote:
...I have spoken with a few LEOs in Sidney and they told me that if i open carry they will arrest me for inducing panic. So, I agree Piqua/Sidney/Troy would be a great place to have a walk, Educate some people.
Get yourself a copy of the AG's newest booklet, where on page 18 you will find "The open carry of firearms is a legal activity in Ohio." Highlight it.

Show it to yourpolice contacts and ask them whether or notthey would like to be on the receiving end of a false arrest suit. Let us know the result.

There is an open carry meetingMarch 26, 6PMin Dayton.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29035

IxionDeece

imported post

BB62 wrote:
xD.45Service wrote:
...I have spoken with a few LEOs in Sidney and they told me that if i open carry they will arrest me for inducing panic. So, I agree Piqua/Sidney/Troy would be a great place to have a walk, Educate some people.
Get yourself a copy of the AG's newest booklet, where on page 18 you will find "The open carry of firearms is a legal activity in Ohio." Highlight it.

Show it to yourpolice contacts and ask them whether or notthey would like to be on the receiving end of a false arrest suit. Let us know the result.

There is an open carry meetingMarch 26, 6PMin Dayton.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=29035
BB62 is correct, that would probably be the easiest way. And please join us on the 26th, we can always use more people there.

xD.45Service

imported post

I actually do have an CCW booklet with articles 2917.31 Inducing Panic, 9.68 Right to bear arms - Challenge to law, and 2923.163 Surrender of firearm to law enforcement officer, printed outthat i typically have with me at all times. Any other articles that i should print out and carry? I have wanted to go to the meeting since the first one, yet i have been unable to get off work/switch shifts to make it.. I'll keep on it though.

IxionDeece

imported post

xD.45Service wrote:
I actually do have an CCW booklet with articles 2917.31 Inducing Panic, 9.68 Right to bear arms - Challenge to law, and 2923.163 Surrender of firearm to law enforcement officer, printed outthat i typically have with me at all times. Any other articles that i should print out and carry? I have wanted to go to the meeting since the first one, yet i have been unable to get off work/switch shifts to make it.. I'll keep on it though.
I have another thread on here that has a bunch that might come in handy.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum43/22279.html

There are a few more on there that I keep.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

xD.45Service wrote:
I actually do have an CCW booklet with articles 2917.31 Inducing Panic, 9.68 Right to bear arms - Challenge to law, and 2923.163 Surrender of firearm to law enforcement officer, printed outthat i typically have with me at all times. Any other articles that i should print out and carry?...

Just to reiterate:get yourself a copy of the AG's newest booklet, where on page 18 you will find "The open carry of firearms is a legal activity in Ohio." Highlight it.

Show it to yourpolice contacts and ask them whether or notthey would like to be on the receiving end of a false arrest suit. Let us know the result!

I don't know if I'll be able to make the meeting, but I look forward to eventually meeting you.

Brian D.

imported post

xD.45Service wrote:
I don't have the numbers for these codes in front of me, but in Ohio (like most other states I'd suspect) 'Disorderly Conduct'a/k/a 'Disturbing the Peace' have long struck me as catchall statutes that are misused/overused.

xD.45Service

imported post

No doubt! i'll have to flag down the next police car i see in sidney while i'm OCing, hand* him some papers and ask him how he feels. Oh yeah, Speedway in sidney on 47 doesn't like OCers either, the lady definately flipped out on me. lol

IxionDeece

imported post

So what do you guys think about perhaps organizing a walk in the PST area? If I can get enough people to agree to come I would be more than happy to get one organized.

IxionDeece

imported post

Which city would you guys be the most comfortable having it in? Piqua, Sidney, or Troy? Based on which city, I will be more than happy to personally plan out the walk, and following activities. And would be more than happy to have input on any section of it. Thanx

xD.45Service

imported post

Personally Sidney because of what the LEOs have told me and The local gun shop owner (Tactical solutions- definately not shopping there) about open carry, being arrested for inducing panic and all, but Troy might be the better location due to the size, but I haven't talked to any LEOs down there about there opinion on OC, dunno.

IxionDeece

imported post

Well if you happen to talk to one before we get a walk set up, let us know what they say, if it is something good and they agree with it then great. But if they are opposed....well you know. I am gonna be in Troy tomorrow and I might ask one or two if I run into any.But if not then maybe you might have the chance. Meanwhile I will ask around here in Piqua and see what the LEO's around here think about it.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I suggest you see about getting Color of Law on-board, or at least in an advisory capacity about informing the municipality about your plans, and dealing with potential "Disorderly Conduct" or "Inducing Panic" charges.

Also, depending on the number of projected attendees, there may be a parade permit required.