• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Meeting in Seatac/In light of shooting here

DEROS72

imported post

Hey guys I found a note on my door today that managment here decided to have their own neighborhood watch meetin this fri the 27th.They are having the same detective speak here that I already talked to.Which begs the question would they have done this if I hadn't brought it up.

I had already garnered support for from everyone for the 28th of march.I am open for suggestions on how to proceed.The management said People have seen me carry and have concerns using the we don't want the wild west around here.Maybe we could havesome of us there if possible to explain what we are about for those with questions.She did also say we could have our meeting here on the 28th if we still wanted to......They are having this on friday Feb 27th from 5:00 to 7:00.

compmanio365

imported post

The neighborhood watch meeting seems pretty standard; they did the same thing when we lived in Lakewood and had the shooting at our apartment complex. It's a feel good measure to make the tenants think that the police are actually listening to what they have to say, and nothing ever changes out of it. I really don't think it has anything to do with the OC barbeque, but if it's something you want to bring up and have some backing on, I think a few people could manage to make it.

Sounds like it's more for the neighborhood around there though; I'm not sure how they would react to people coming in from out of town just to push the idea of the OC barbeque. Maybe it's something more that needs to be pushed directly with the management, and they need to understand what we're about. We've never had any problem with any of our OC get togethers, and I don't see any problem with this either. The management just needs to be convinced of that, and if they are already saying go ahead with the BBQ, it shouldn't take much to put their minds at ease.

DEROS72

imported post

They did say we could still have our meeting here if we wanted to.The manager said she allows me to have my weapons .......insinuating being private property she could do no guns policy..

I guess the question is how do you guys feel about continuing plans for the meeting here anyway.....?

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Still a great excuse for a get together and if we can get LEO's there maybe it can be a better chance to help forge some ties with them and our group.

FMCDH

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
Good idea...
Nothing wrong with them having a tenant meeting. If it helps people be more aware of their neighbors and surroundings and makes the criminals nervous, all the better.

I see no reason not to have our meeting if the management is still game. The more that people get used to seeing good and responsible fellow human beings (halo goes ping:quirky) who carry guns, the quicker people get it through their heads that its not the guns they need to fear, its the criminals who don't know how to exists without victimizing others that they need to fear, and those types are not your "come out and meet the neighbors" types.

I'm still game for the 28th. :D

DEROS72

imported post

I know what you mean .It seems the only ones pushing back are one that have a reason to be bothered by honest citizens that carry for their self protection.

FMCDH

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
I know what you mean .It seems the only ones pushing back are one that have a reason to be bothered by honest citizens that carry for their self protection.
Don't take it personally. Its the gun they are focused on because they don't know enough to dismiss it as the inanimate object of a tool it is. No one said it would be easy de-programming people of hundreds of hours of TV conditioning that says that gun = crime = bad person.

Teach by example to the contrary. That is the most powerful tool we have in our favor that the mass majority of us are very level headed in conflict and honor others rights as we do our own.

DEROS72

imported post

Thats what I try to do and thats a good way to go.I was even knocking around the idea of offring to take anyone to the range to let them try it if they want.

FMCDH

imported post

This is my personal "Why do I carry a gun?" pamphlet that I hand out to everyone who asks that fated question. I think it answers it much better in form that I could ever do with any consistency. I printed up about 30 for the meeting. You guys are welcome to copy it in part or total and use it for your own purposes.

Cheers :)

[align=center] Why do I carry a gun?[/align]

I don't carry a gun to kill people.
I carry a gun to keep from being killed.
I don't carry a gun to scare people.
I carry a gun because sometimes this world can be a scary place.
I don't carry a gun because I'm paranoid.
I carry a gun because there are real threats in this world.
I don't carry a gun because I'm evil.
I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in this world.
I don't carry a gun because I hate the government.
I carry a gun because I understand the limitations of the government.
I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man.
I carry a gun because a man knows how to responsibly protect themselves and the ones they love.
I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate.
I carry a gun because unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I AM inadequate.
I don't carry a gun because I love it.
I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.
I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life being angry with myself for failing to be prepared.

I carry a gun because I believe the right to self defense is one of the Basic Human Rights, and the gun is the most effective tool a human can own to exercise that right.

I carry a gun because I took an oath to protect my country and its citizens from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

I carry a gun because I would rather have it and never need it, then to need it and not have it, because one day God forbid, I may have to use it to save YOUR life, or the life of someone that YOU love.

Police can't protect you from crime.

In point of fact, they have no legal obligation to do so.
Free citizens must take responsibility to protect themselves.

When seconds count in the defense of your life, liberty or property, or someone else's life, the police are only just minutes away. Do the math and you will understand.

All police can really do is investigate the crime after it happens, hopefully make an arrest, and then call someone to notify your next of kin.

Thats why I carry a gun.

DEROS72

imported post

Thanks, that is excellent.I amy print a few to give to those with questions.

MadHatter66

imported post

DEROS72 wrote:
insinuating being private property she could do no guns policy

The problem here is that she would have a hard time making it stick to a resident. Being that you pay rent there, the apartment actually becomes your domicile, and the common areas become part of that. IANAL but looking at Heller and a few other cases of rental property law, rented property has has some of the same laws on your side that owning property does when it comes to firearms.

I had a maintenance person ask me to cover up one day, I said no and kept walking. The next day the manager asked me to stop carrying openly, I said no again... that was the last I heard of it. Even renewed my lease since then...

jarhead1911A

imported post

it seems to me that its easier for management of deros's apt complex to live in fear rather than show them we are not afraid..... Well its about time people stoped living in fear and started doing something.

DEROS72

imported post

Lets do this meeting on the 28th of march.I will attend the one this friday.Demostrate that there are those of us who take responsibility for our own saftey and will not live in fear.

DEROS72

imported post

That would be better I have I use up my printer cartridges evertime I do that.

just_a_car

imported post

Alright, well, I can try to make my way down there tomorrow after class if you're free. I'm out around noon.

I have Thursday off and I know you go to Safeway for coffee in the morning (9am, if I recall correctly), but I am SO not a morning person. :p