Thread: Ammo storage/dessicant?

Post imported post

Hey all,

I've read a bit on ammo storage and I keep hearing aboutusing a dessicantand an airtight case. Well I already have a bunch of ammo cans from my bulk purchases but I don't have any idea where to even begin a search for dessicant. How important is this and where should I look?

Tanks.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

DT

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

Post imported post

Silica gel. Sold in grocery stores as RID IIRC. There is a class of chemicals that wants to suck up moisture. Salt NaCl may be a desiccant but it is also a 'salt' that promotes corrosion.

Post imported post

You can also buy dessicants from most sporting goods stores where once it gets too moist, you stick it into the oven to dry.

Or, if you eat a lot of beef jerky and don't mind the smell, you can use those too!

Post imported post

I have several cases of ammo stored under my stairs. It is very dry there so I did not feel any additional moisture protection would be necessary.

But it does raise a good question and one should be concerned if there may be a high moisture content such as a basement.

Post imported post

I have more silica dessicant than I know what to do with! Ive collected it from gloves at my job for close to two years. The baggies they come in only hold about a teaspoon. I must have several thousand bags worth.

Man its good to hear I can use it for something, I was beginning to think I was wierd... :shock:

Post imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
    I have more silica dessicant than I know what to do with! Ive collected it from gloves at my job for close to two years. The baggies they come in only hold about a teaspoon. I must have several thousand bags worth.

Man its good to hear I can use it for something, I was beginning to think I was wierd... :shock:
    No... You are still weird!!

Well, maybe just thrifty! No harm in collecting them and using them. But you know you can just buy a bag that size for about $30 right? :P

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...amp;hasJS=true

Post imported post

Silica works best if you can get it... However... for ammo and weapons (if you have to bury any)... Dry White Rice. Viet Cong used this method and it's very effective.

Post imported post

deleted.

Post imported post

"Happiness is a warm shotgun!!"
    "I am neither a pessimist nor a cynic. I am, rather, a realist."
    "The most dangerous things I've ever encountered were a Second Lieutenant with a map and a compass and a Private who was bored and had time on his hands."

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
    Common sheetrock (drywall), a/k/a gypsum board, is also a desiccant. Break off a piece, break it intosmaller pieces, dry in an oven, and you have your desiccant.

Note on the oven: 150 degrees for about fifteen minutes in a conventional oven should be about right. Do not use a microwave.

This is a good way to go especially if you have access to drywall that is going to be torn out. Cheap and plentiful.
    And how do you keep the drywall dust from your ammo? :?

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

I've never been able to keep enough stored to worry about it.

Post imported post

High end cat litter, like this stuff, will do the trick. Fill a sock or some other cloth sack if you want to be fancy, or just dump it into the bottom of the container. If it gets damp, or you think that it did, just bake it as described with the drywall.

http://the-gadgeteer.com//asset_cach...scoopfree5.jpg

http://www.freshstep.com/img/products/crystalsfoto2.jpg
    Answer every question about open carry in Michigan you ever had with one convenient and free book- http://libertyisforeveryone.com/open-carry-resources/

The complete and utter truth can be challenged from every direction and it will always hold up. Accordingly there are few greater displays of illegitimacy than to attempt to impede free thought and communication.

Post imported post

Sorry to slightly hi-jack the thread, but speaking of ammo storage. I'm always paranoid about ammo going off in case of fire and killing bystanders/firemen. Obviously, chances are slim and i certainly hope it never happens, but i'm still paranoid. So, i store ammo inside the fire protection box (small lock box from staples or home depot) which goes inside the gun safe. But then the manual for the box says "for document/media storage only, no firearms or ammunition". Anyone knows why? Also, what would rounds do in case of being exposed to fire - i heard that they will just explode and bullets wont go anywhere since casings are not supported by the chamber, but it still sounds phishy to me. Any advice?

Post imported post

The primers will usually'blow' first allowing the propellent to exit the primer hole. Otherwise the smokeless powder propellent will simply fracture the cartridge case (or a combination of both). The bullets won't go anywhere with any velocity (if at all) as the ctg is notcontained within a breech and bolt to prevent/control expansion and direction. .22 rimfire will just 'pop' like a firecracker. The term is: low-order detonation.With black powder cartridges of the 19th century... a high order detonation was possible.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Post imported post

There is not a fire protection box made big enough to store the ammo that some maintain - unless it was a walk-in! :celebrate

Yata hey
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Post imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
    There is not a fire protection box made big enough to store the ammo that some maintain - unless it was a walk-in! :celebrate

Yata hey
    Let me see the pics when you convert your walk in closet Grapeshot