• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ammo storage/dessicant?

smash29

imported post

Hey all,

I've read a bit on ammo storage and I keep hearing aboutusing a dessicantand an airtight case. Well I already have a bunch of ammo cans from my bulk purchases but I don't have any idea where to even begin a search for dessicant. How important is this and where should I look?

Tanks.

madcapmag

imported post

You can also buy dessicants from most sporting goods stores where once it gets too moist, you stick it into the oven to dry.

Or, if you eat a lot of beef jerky and don't mind the smell, you can use those too!

LEO 229

imported post

I have several cases of ammo stored under my stairs. It is very dry there so I did not feel any additional moisture protection would be necessary.

But it does raise a good question and one should be concerned if there may be a high moisture content such as a basement.

YllwFvr

imported post

I have more silica dessicant than I know what to do with! Ive collected it from gloves at my job for close to two years. The baggies they come in only hold about a teaspoon. I must have several thousand bags worth.

2ds486t.jpg

Man its good to hear I can use it for something, I was beginning to think I was wierd... :shock:

LEO 229

imported post

YllwFvr wrote:
I have more silica dessicant than I know what to do with! Ive collected it from gloves at my job for close to two years. The baggies they come in only hold about a teaspoon. I must have several thousand bags worth.

Man its good to hear I can use it for something, I was beginning to think I was wierd... :shock:
No... You are still weird!! ;)

Well, maybe just thrifty! No harm in collecting them and using them. But you know you can just buy a bag that size for about $30 right? :p

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=froogle-cat20797_TGP&id=0005567220673a&navCount=2&podId=0005567&parentId=cat20797&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

Sonora Rebel

imported post

Silica works best if you can get it... However... for ammo and weapons (if you have to bury any)... Dry White Rice. Viet Cong used this method and it's very effective.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
Common sheetrock (drywall), a/k/a gypsum board, is also a desiccant. Break off a piece, break it intosmaller pieces, dry in an oven, and you have your desiccant.

Note on the oven: 150 degrees for about fifteen minutes in a conventional oven should be about right. Do not use a microwave.

This is a good way to go especially if you have access to drywall that is going to be torn out. Cheap and plentiful.
And how do you keep the drywall dust from your ammo? :?

Yata hey

Chaingun81

imported post

Sorry to slightly hi-jack the thread, but speaking of ammo storage. I'm always paranoid about ammo going off in case of fire and killing bystanders/firemen. Obviously, chances are slim and i certainly hope it never happens, but i'm still paranoid. So, i store ammo inside the fire protection box (small lock box from staples or home depot) which goes inside the gun safe. But then the manual for the box says "for document/media storage only, no firearms or ammunition". Anyone knows why? Also, what would rounds do in case of being exposed to fire - i heard that they will just explode and bullets wont go anywhere since casings are not supported by the chamber, but it still sounds phishy to me. Any advice?

Sonora Rebel

imported post

The primers will usually'blow' first allowing the propellent to exit the primer hole. Otherwise the smokeless powder propellent will simply fracture the cartridge case (or a combination of both). The bullets won't go anywhere with any velocity (if at all) as the ctg is notcontained within a breech and bolt to prevent/control expansion and direction. .22 rimfire will just 'pop' like a firecracker. The term is: low-order detonation.With black powder cartridges of the 19th century... a high order detonation was possible.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

There is not a fire protection box made big enough to store the ammo that some maintain - unless it was a walk-in! :celebrate

Yata hey

YllwFvr

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
There is not a fire protection box made big enough to store the ammo that some maintain - unless it was a walk-in! :celebrate

Yata hey
Let me see the pics when you convert your walk in closet Grapeshot ;)