• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry In Danville, Va.

fire_man2340

imported post

I started Open Carrying in my home town (Danville Va.)about a week and a half ago been in Wal-Mart, Stores, Bankand a few Restaurants and NOTHING as been said and not that many looks, The only time someone said something to me was in the BANK(URW CREDIT UNION) a older guy asked me if i was a Police Officer, i had told him no sir, and he was trying to tell me i cant have one in the bank. I had told him 'yes sir i can carry as long as there's no sign on the door or the manager says i can't' as i walked away he said 'KEEP ON AND YOU GOING TO GET LOCKED UP' and i looked at him smiled and said have a good day sir..... BUT other then that its been great me and my soon to be wife feel whole lot more safer, I just haven't got the guts to OPEN CARRY into the Mall nor MOVIES. You Think i should go ahead?

Neplusultra

imported post

fire_man2340 wrote:
I started Open Carrying in my home town (Danville Va.)about a week and a half ago been in Wal-Mart, Stores, Bankand a few Restaurants and NOTHING as been said and not that many looks, The only time someone said something to me was in the BANK(URW CREDIT UNION) a older guy asked me if i was a Police Officer, i had told him no sir, and he was trying to tell me i cant have one in the bank. I had told him 'yes sir i can carry as long as there's no sign on the door or the manager says i can't' as i walked away he said 'KEEP ON AND YOU GOING TO GET LOCKED UP' and i looked at him smiled and said have a good day sir..... BUT other then that its been great me and my soon to be wife feel whole lot more safer, I just have got the guts to OPEN CARRY into the Mall nor MOVIES.
I felt a little weird OCing at first. Even though I'd been CCing for a few years. Probably should have asked the older guy where the law said that. But hind sight is 20/20. As time goes on you'll get to the point where you won't even be aware you're carrying half the time. I have found that my mind does snap to when a situation arises that might not be so good. You should always be like that at least. I am not always at full alert, or at least I'm not anymore. I guess my mind has been trained well enough so it instinctively knows when to be consciously aware of the current stituation. When I first started to OC, especially since I don't have a good retention holster, I was always situationally aware.

The first time someone asked me if I was LE it took me completely by surprise as I was tired and had my mind on shopping for dinner :^). You'll find carrying a gun in "rural" areas will get almost no attention like it will in urban areas. I've been OCing for almost two years and had *one* challenge/question or comment. No one cares. Which is good.

mobeewan

imported post

I have been CCing since I got my first permit when shall issue became law. I finally broke my OC cherry last May when the weather started getting in the 80's during the day. Felt weird too just like when I first CC'd. Only once did I have someone gawking. I was in Ace Hardware in the Buckroe section of Hampton. Another customer kept lookingme over andshaking his head as i shopped around the store.