• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fellow comrades? New guy here...

marshall1134

imported post

I can't even begin to say how happy I was to find this site. It answered questions I've had for years pertaining to oc. I'm currently residing in the city of Allen Park and was wondering how many individuals are near here? I think it would be great to throw a gathering come summer in the vicinity of here. I do have a question pertaining to cpl, I'll ask it and if anyone knows the answer it would be greatly appreciated. Also please introduce yourself so I know some people on here. The question I have and can't seem to clarify is: I wan't to get my cpl, I have a operating an ORV while impaired from 5 yrs ago and an operating a vehicle while impaired 3 yrs ago. Are these both first offense's or is the operating a vehicle a second? Do I need to wait 3 yrs or 8? Thanks for any help and thanks for a great site.:D

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

You should definately wait for one of the legal guys to chime in, but I BELIEVE that you will need to wait 3 years. Although they were both *UI Offences, they were charged differently - making neither of them a 'second offence'.

Once again, you should definately wait for one of the more legal based guys to chime in.

Ben

PilotPTK

imported post

Yeah, for sure. Just because we read it that way doesn't mean our 'leaders' do..

In any case, When you do get your CPL (and even before then when OCing), please do be careful. Alcohol + gun is never going to = good situation. I'm completely paranoid about guns + ANY alcohol.. I have to imagine that even if I was under the legal limit, A jury would not look favorably upon my having drank before having to defend myself or a loved one. Since starting to carry a gun about 6 years ago, I no longer drink at all.

Good luck and be safe,
Ben

marshall1134

imported post

Hey guys thanks for the welcomes and also the links. Interesting thing happened to me today. I have three friends who are LEO'sand decided to ask them there opinion's on the whole oc thing. I though they would be cool on the whole subject because we're friends but all I got was negativity on the subject. They did inform me that it was legal and they had an internal meeting regarding the subject. One told me it would be smart to carry a copy of the law for refrence do to some of the rookie's in other cities not being familiar with the law, and that they would most likely be jerks about it. All three said that mostleo'sfrowned upon it, mostly stating that if you walk into a store or place of business there is a possibility of getting shot and also that there are strict laws involving person to person confrontation when a weapon is involved. (mostly there opinion) My opinion is that it pisses them of that others have the right to carry a gun and that brings them (LEO's) down to our level. The thrill of them being so superior isn't quite there as much.

Michigander

imported post

Welcome to the site!

I'm very much in favor of a meeting in Allen Park. If you know of a good place, please make a thread to arrange a meeting. :)

MEPDtoUSBP

imported post

marshall1134 wrote:
Hey guys thanks for the welcomes and also the links. Interesting thing happened to me today. I have three friends who are LEO'sand decided to ask them there opinion's on the whole oc thing. I though they would be cool on the whole subject because we're friends but all I got was negativity on the subject. They did inform me that it was legal and they had an internal meeting regarding the subject. One told me it would be smart to carry a copy of the law for refrence do to some of the rookie's in other cities not being familiar with the law, and that they would most likely be jerks about it. All three said that mostleo'sfrowned upon it, mostly stating that if you walk into a store or place of business there is a possibility of getting shot and also that there are strict laws involving person to person confrontation when a weapon is involved. (mostly there opinion) My opinion is that it pisses them of that others have the right to carry a gun and that brings them (LEO's) down to our level. The thrill of them being so superior isn't quite there as much.
First off, all I can say is: what an ignorant post. I have been an LEO for almost 4 years now, and I can say that what you just mentioned is garbage. There is no "superiority complex". Most LEO's don't like seeing everyone with guns because there are a lot of crazy people that really shouldn't have guns. In order to get our gun and be able to carry it, we had to go through a ton of training, not to mention a strenuous background check, and a psychological exam. Some people, even if they're not crazy, shouldn't be able to carry a gun. Some people just might not be able to handle the responsibility of a firearm.

joshuaeberly

imported post

MEPDtoUSBP wrote:
marshall1134 wrote:
First off, all I can say is: what an ignorant post. I have been an LEO for almost 4 years now, and I can say that what you just mentioned is garbage. There is no "superiority complex". Most LEO's don't like seeing everyone with guns because there are a lot of crazy people that really shouldn't have guns. In order to get our gun and be able to carry it, we had to go through a ton of training, not to mention a strenuous background check, and a psychological exam. Some people, even if they're not crazy, shouldn't be able to carry a gun. Some people just might not be able to handle the responsibility of a firearm.

and who decides who's "ok"? who sets the standards? who enforces them?

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!

some police officers are great, honest people trying to do a hard job.

others are nothing but jack booted thugs.

and then there's those who are in between. the "polite" opinion enforcement officers. those who DON"T KNOW the law, and REFUSE TO LEARN. these officers have a tendency to completely IGNORE the Constitution they are sworn to protect. these officers DO have a superiority complex, and they need to be straightened out.

that being said, I'm very glad that most of them fall into the first category.

PilotPTK

imported post

MEPDtoUSBP wrote:
marshall1134 wrote:
No, in order to become a LEO you had to go through a ton of training, a background check and a psychological exam. In order to 'get your gun', you could have simply gone out, got a purchase permit, and bought one and carried it. That's Michigan law.

marshall1134

imported post

MEPDtoUSBP wrote:
marshall1134 wrote:
If your a LEO then why are you even on this site? To start shit! I said it was my opinion and I certainly wasnt bashing anyone. 4 yrs on the force? Good for you ROOKIE. The fact that you say my opinon is ignorant shows how ignorant you are. I maid a general comment, I did not attack YOU in any way so take your shit elsewhere.

MEPDtoUSBP

imported post

xd-40 wrote:
MEPDtoUSBP wrote:
marshall1134 wrote:

and who decides who's "ok"? who sets the standards? who enforces them?

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!

some police officers are great, honest people trying to do a hard job.

others are nothing but jack booted thugs.

and then there's those who are in between. the "polite" opinion enforcement officers. those who DON"T KNOW the law, and REFUSE TO LEARN. these officers have a tendency to completely IGNORE the Constitution they are sworn to protect. these officers DO have a superiority complex, and they need to be straightened out.

that being said, I'm very glad that most of them fall into the first category.
alright i think u guys aren't getting my point of view. I am a big fan of open carry. I was just stating why SOME cops feel the way they do about guns. I believe in the right to bear arms, as do most officers I know. However, not all officers know the OC law very well. It is never mentioned in the academy and not mentioned in the law books we learned. And it is not that easy for one of us to believe someone that says "this is legal...MI state law says I can do this"... frankly because people use that defense for a lot of criminal behavior...even if what they ARE doing is illegal. It sucks to say but you really just can't "take their word for it" anymore. When you're lied to everyday, you get a little apprehensive.