• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fellow comrades? New guy here...

MEPDtoUSBP

imported post

marshall1134 wrote:
MEPDtoUSBP wrote:
marshall1134 wrote:
Hey guys thanks for the welcomes and also the links. Interesting thing happened to me today. I have three friends who are LEO'sand decided to ask them there opinion's on the whole oc thing. I though they would be cool on the whole subject because we're friends but all I got was negativity on the subject. They did inform me that it was legal and they had an internal meeting regarding the subject. One told me it would be smart to carry a copy of the law for refrence do to some of the rookie's in other cities not being familiar with the law, and that they would most likely be jerks about it. All three said that mostleo'sfrowned upon it, mostly stating that if you walk into a store or place of business there is a possibility of getting shot and also that there are strict laws involving person to person confrontation when a weapon is involved. (mostly there opinion) My opinion is that it pisses them of that others have the right to carry a gun and that brings them (LEO's) down to our level. The thrill of them being so superior isn't quite there as much.
First off, all I can say is: what an ignorant post. I have been an LEO for almost 4 years now, and I can say that what you just mentioned is garbage. There is no "superiority complex". Most LEO's don't like seeing everyone with guns because there are a lot of crazy people that really shouldn't have guns. In order to get our gun and be able to carry it, we had to go through a ton of training, not to mention a strenuous background check, and a psychological exam. Some people, even if they're not crazy, shouldn't be able to carry a gun. Some people just might not be able to handle the responsibility of a firearm.
If your a LEO then why are you even on this site? To start @#$%! I said it was my opinion and I certainly wasnt bashing anyone. 4 yrs on the force? Good for you ROOKIE. The fact that you say my opinon is ignorant shows how ignorant you are. I maid a general comment, I did not attack YOU in any way so take your @#$% elsewhere.
Actually I read this forum all the time because before I worked in law enforcement I had a CCW and was a big advocate of guns. And I didn't bash you, I just stated I didn't agree with your post. You bashed ALL cops....saying we think we are superior. If you're going to act like that, then I won't come on here anymore. I thought some people might like to hear from an LEO on here every once in awhile but I guess not.

PilotPTK

MOC Charter Member - Shelby Township, Michigan, US
imported post

MEPDtoUSBP wrote:
xd-40 wrote:
MEPDtoUSBP wrote:
marshall1134 wrote:
Hey guys thanks for the welcomes and also the links. Interesting thing happened to me today. I have three friends who are LEO'sand decided to ask them there opinion's on the whole oc thing. I though they would be cool on the whole subject because we're friends but all I got was negativity on the subject. They did inform me that it was legal and they had an internal meeting regarding the subject. One told me it would be smart to carry a copy of the law for refrence do to some of the rookie's in other cities not being familiar with the law, and that they would most likely be jerks about it. All three said that mostleo'sfrowned upon it, mostly stating that if you walk into a store or place of business there is a possibility of getting shot and also that there are strict laws involving person to person confrontation when a weapon is involved. (mostly there opinion) My opinion is that it pisses them of that others have the right to carry a gun and that brings them (LEO's) down to our level. The thrill of them being so superior isn't quite there as much.
First off, all I can say is: what an ignorant post. I have been an LEO for almost 4 years now, and I can say that what you just mentioned is garbage. There is no "superiority complex". Most LEO's don't like seeing everyone with guns because there are a lot of crazy people that really shouldn't have guns. In order to get our gun and be able to carry it, we had to go through a ton of training, not to mention a strenuous background check, and a psychological exam. Some people, even if they're not crazy, shouldn't be able to carry a gun. Some people just might not be able to handle the responsibility of a firearm.

and who decides who's "ok"? who sets the standards? who enforces them?

SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!

some police officers are great, honest people trying to do a hard job.

others are nothing but jack booted thugs.

and then there's those who are in between. the "polite" opinion enforcement officers. those who DON"T KNOW the law, and REFUSE TO LEARN. these officers have a tendency to completely IGNORE the Constitution they are sworn to protect. these officers DO have a superiority complex, and they need to be straightened out.

that being said, I'm very glad that most of them fall into the first category.
alright i think u guys aren't getting my point of view. I am a big fan of open carry. I was just stating why SOME cops feel the way they do about guns. I believe in the right to bear arms, as do most officers I know. However, not all officers know the OC law very well. It is never mentioned in the academy and not mentioned in the law books we learned. And it is not that easy for one of us to believe someone that says "this is legal...MI state law says I can do this"... frankly because people use that defense for a lot of criminal behavior...even if what they ARE doing is illegal. It sucks to say but you really just can't "take their word for it" anymore. When you're lied to everyday, you get a little apprehensive.

However, not all officers know the OC law very well.
Likely because there is no law regarding OC.

It is never mentioned in the academy and not mentioned in the law books we learned.
Likely because law books and academy's generally focus on things that are illegal.

I'm pretty sure that most officers do not know the law about carrying water-bottles, and I don't think the academy or law books cover it either.

marshall1134

imported post

I see your point. There alot of stupid mf out there who try to get away with murder and will find any loop hole to do so. But this law that has always been in effect should have been taught to all leo's in basic traing. If it were there would not be such a problem with it. The Controversy over this sickens me. I'm surprised this site only has 8000+ people, it should have 800,000+

marshall1134

imported post

Actually I read this forum all the time because before I worked in law enforcement I had a CCW and was a big advocate of guns. And I didn't bash you, I just stated I didn't agree with your post. You bashed ALL cops....saying we think we are superior. If you're going to act like that, then I won't come on here anymore. I thought some people might like to hear from an LEO on here every once in awhile but I guess not.
Ok so you read it all the time but just decided to become a member weeks ago. I'm sure everyone thanks you for your support. Why don't you put an avatar up or the city your from?

MEPDtoUSBP

imported post

marshall1134 wrote:
I see your point. There alot of stupid mf out there who try to get away with murder and will find any loop hole to do so. But this law that has always been in effect should have been taught to all leo's in basic traing. If it were there would not be such a problem with it. The Controversy over this sickens me. I'm surprised this site only has 8000+ people, it should have 800,000+
That's all I was trying to say. The training that we DO get on firearms pretty much only covers CCW's. We are almost even led to believe that you can't carry a gun unless you have a CCW. Nice to see someone from Downriver on here. I lived in LP for a long time, and worked for Melvindale PD before I came to work for the federal government.

MEPDtoUSBP

imported post

marshall1134 wrote:
Ok so you read it all the time but just decided to become a member weeks ago. I'm sure everyone thanks you for your support. Why don't you put an avatar up or the city your from?
I've been reading on here for probably 3 or 4 months now. I didn't decide to make a name until I wanted topost something.

Taurus850CIA

imported post

springerdave wrote:
The rest of us are grateful that you guys have buried the hatchet. Just make sure the handle isn't sticking out of the ground!springerdave.
Well put, springerdave. Welcome, both of you!

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

PilotPTK wrote:
MEPDtoUSBP wrote:
marshall1134 wrote:
No, in order to become a LEO you had to go through a ton of training, a background check and a psychological exam. In order to 'get your gun', you could have simply gone out, got a purchase permit, and bought one and carried it. That's Michigan law.
My thoughts exactly!! +1 But I do understand why he says what he does... it's having to deal with the people that he does. I think most PO's have the same problem, as do doctors, corrections officers, counselors, etc. But professionals have to remember that "everybody" is not like the people they deal with day in day out. MOST individuals are are "OK" and sometimes we who deal with "people problems" need to be reminded of that.