• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

711 and hats

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
As for why you wear a cover while under arms, that's the regulation. It's the military (or military training in this case); you follow the regs or you get punished.
I wonder if the military rules of wearing a cover while under arms is not involved in the issue of having both hands free in case you need to use those arms. I would guess that the rule dates back to when men pretty much always wore a hat outdoors so there would be a preliminary assumption that a man has a hat in his possession to start with and if it isn't on his head it is very likely in his hands.

PT111

imported post

While eating breakfast at the local diner I noticed an eldery black gentleman came in and the first thing he did when he sat down was remove his hat. When I finished I walked over to him and said that I noticed his courtesy and wanted to thank him for letting me know that good manners were not completely forgotten by everyone. I paid for his breakfast and walked out.

It may be old fashioned but the removal of you hat while indoors is still a courtesy that should be shown. This is even more for these teen agers that are only wearing one for the fashion. Where is that 711 so if I am in that area I can shop there. :)

wylde007

imported post

I always take my hat off at the table... even at home (most of the time).

Either rest it on the seat next to me (if I'm seated in a booth) or over my knee. The other night the wife and I had supper at my parents' house and I forgot to take it off immediately.

Mom gave me a crooked look and wouldn't let dad bless the meal. That was all it took, I knew what she meant!

kaiheitai17

Founder's Club Member
imported post

deepdiver wrote:
rlh2005 wrote:
As for why you wear a cover while under arms, that's the regulation. It's the military (or military training in this case); you follow the regs or you get punished.
I wonder if the military rules of wearing a cover while under arms is not involved in the issue of having both hands free in case you need to use those arms. I would guess that the rule dates back to when men pretty much always wore a hat outdoors so there would be a preliminary assumption that a man has a hat in his possession to start with and if it isn't on his head it is very likely in his hands.
I can't speak for the military services (Army and Air Force) but I can speak to the naval services (Navy, Marine Corps, Coast Guard). You are "under arms" and required to render proper a proper salute while under arms. You are considered under arms just by wearing a web gear pistol belt. You can't render a proper salute without wearing a cover. Now the military services salute just about any time and any where (not really, mostly while reporting to a senior officer while indoors).

MirkoCrocop

imported post

PT111 wrote:
While eating breakfast at the local diner I noticed an eldery black gentleman came in and the first thing he did when he sat down was remove his hat. When I finished I walked over to him and said that I noticed his courtesy and wanted to thank him for letting me know that good manners were not completely forgotten by everyone. I paid for his breakfast and walked out.

It may be old fashioned but the removal of you hat while indoors is still a courtesy that should be shown. This is even more for these teen agers that are only wearing one for the fashion. Where is that 711 so if I am in that area I can shop there. :)
RAWR!!!!You so vehemenetly defend the 2nd amendment yet you criticize me exercising the 1st!? No itis not a courteusy that should be shown if the american in question does not agree with the tradition. Im sick of this hypocrisy. and yet it would be entirely okay if it was a jewish man wearing a yarmulke.
If I want to wear my damn hat while I eat at a restaurant then I will and if you dont like it I'll tell you to go get lost and leave me be, My hat is not causing any harm to anyone and not near as much as the multitude ofpeople in there smoking I dont like the god awful sick smell of smoke that smells like @$$but if I dont like it i just move to a better table. There are many reasons why people like to wear their hats all the time some men wear them indoors beacause they are bald, some like me just like having one on because of its sentimental value and got the habit from their father they admired growing up. Im not going to take it off because its expected by some people. If you dont like it well too damn bad just like some people dont like you open carrying and think its rude, that doesnt stop you.

virginiatuck

imported post

MirkoCrocop wrote:
You so vehemenetly defend the 2nd amendment yet you criticize me exercising the 1st!? No it is not a courtuesy that should be shown if the american in question does not agree with the tradition. Im sick of this hypocrisy.
If I want to wear my damn hat while I eat at a restaurant then Igoddamned will and if you dont like it I'll tell you to go to hell and leave me be
The 7-11 owner in question may require patrons to remove their hats, but nobody here said you are required to take your hat off. They just said that removing it is a sign of respect. You don't have to show respect in that way, it's your choice. Calm down and get some perspective.

From the Supreme Court: 268 U.S. 652
"Freedom of speech and of the press, as secured by the Constitution, is not an absolute right to speak or publish without responsibility whatever one may choose or an immunity for every possible use of language. P. 268 U. S. 666."

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
Neplusultra wrote: $0.02 -- manners

When I was a cadet at Virginia Tech, it was extensively drilled into us that you always wear your cover (hat) when armed.

Yep, same thing at AMA. They drilled into us. My Mother never accepted it though!

MirkoCrocop

imported post

tuck i realize that law is relative not absolute, just as the 2nd amendment has limits also

my point is if an american citizen wants to wear anormal hat then they should be able too without having to take it off at a restaurant or a 7-11 just like every man and woman has a right to self defense , I am a free man and my head has the right to keep and bear hats:monkey

doug23838

imported post

It occured to me to ask:

Asa patriotic gun-toting American, why were you in 7-11 anyway?

• Southland Corp. is owned by a Japanese corporation.
  • The NRA lists them as an "organization with anti-gun policies"
  • They sell Citgo (Hugo Chavez) gas.
That's enough for me to stay away.

wylde007

imported post

MirkoCrocop wrote:
If you dont like it well too damn bad just like some people dont like you open carrying and think its rude, that doesnt stop you.
Did somebody get up on the wrong side of the futon this morning?

Jeeze, dude. Your attitude went well-downhill fast, and for no good reason.

sandcastle

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
MirkoCrocop wrote:
If you dont like it well too damn bad just like some people dont like you open carrying and think its rude, that doesnt stop you.
Did somebody get up on the wrong side of the futon this morning?

Jeeze, dude. Your attitude went well-downhill fast, and for no good reason.

It sounds like he doesn't like people speaking freely about others' bad manners.

Or maybe he's just jealous because nobody everbuys him a free:monkeybreakfast.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Well, I was taught that a person removes their hat upon entering the living space of another as a sign of respect. But the respect was based on not carrying dust, dirt, rain, snow and other things that tend to gather on a hat through another persons space. Sort of like leaving your muddy boots in the mud room instead of tracking dirt through someones house. When you remove the hat you are SUPPOSED to hang it with your coat or jacket. How convenient that most coat racks have a hat hook on them.

Tomahawk

imported post

Unfortunately, most places these days don't have coat and hat racks anymore. Some restaurants, especially older ones, have a coat and hat rack next to the table or booth, but usually all you find is a coat hook or none at all.

MirkoCrocop wrote:
You so vehemenetly defend the 2nd amendment yet you criticize me exercising the 1st!? No itis not a courtuesy that should be shown if the american in question does not agree with the tradition. Im sick of this hypocrisy.
If I want to wear my damn hat while I eat at a restaurant then Igoddamned will and if you dont like it I'll tell you to go to hell and leave me be, My hat is not causing any harm to anyone and not near as much as the multiple people in there smoking I dont like the god awful sick smell of smoke that smells like @$$but if I dont like it i just move to a better table. There are many reasons why people like to waer their hats all the time some men wear them indoors beacause they are bald, some like me just like having one on because of its sentimental value and it just plain feels right where it is and Im not going to take it off because its expected by some people. If you dont like it well too damn bad just like some people dont like you open carrying and think its rude, that doesnt stop you.

Wow. Take a pill already.

PT111

imported post

MirkoCrocop wrote:
PT111 wrote:

You so vehemenetly defend the 2nd amendment yet you criticize me exercising the 1st!? No itis not a courtuesy that should be shown if the american in question does not agree with the tradition. Im sick of this hypocrisy.
If I want to wear my damn hat while I eat at a restaurant then Igoddamned will and if you dont like it I'll tell you to go to hell and leave me be, My hat is not causing any harm to anyone and not near as much as the multiple people in there smoking I dont like the god awful sick smell of smoke that smells like @$$but if I dont like it i just move to a better table. There are many reasons why people like to waer their hats all the time some men wear them indoors beacause they are bald, some like me just like having one on because of its sentimental value and it just plain feels right where it is and Im not going to take it off because its expected by some people. If you dont like it well too damn bad just like some people dont like you open carrying and think its rude, that doesnt stop you.

WOW!!!! :what:Next time I see that fellow I am going to have to tell him to put his hat back on.:shock: I didn't think I was prohibiting anyone from wearing a hat just that it was the way I was raised and still think it is the right thing to do.
[font="Arial, Helvetica"]
[font="Arial, Helvetica"]Any man who prays or prophesies with something on his head disgraces his head, but any woman who prays or prophesies with her head unveiled disgraces her head--it is one and the same thing as having her head shaved. For if a woman will not veil herself, then she should cut off her hair; but if it is disgraceful for a woman to have her hair cut off or to be shaved, she should wear a veil. For a man ought not to have his head veiled, since he is the image and reflection of God; but woman is the reflection of man.[/font][font="Arial, Helvetica"] (NRSV, 1Corinthians 11:4-7)[/font] [/font]
:D

6L6GC

imported post

I was raised (and also trained in the military) that males should remove their cover or head gear when entering a building. I still consider that to be "good manners". It is my customary practice. However, I think that all this fussing about manners and customs is a little miss guided.

Entering a 7-11 is hardly the same as entering a friend's house. A 7-11 is a low-brow place of business. It is not by any stretch of the imagination a private place. It is a "convenient mart". While it still would not be nice to be rude to people while in a 7-11, that is hardly a place with a "dress code".

Sounds to me like a case of a snooty broad thinking that she could order someone around based on her personal feelings. If she had told me to remove my hat I would have politely declined. If she insisted, I would have told her to produce her fashion police credentials (or some other such smart-a** comment). I would have specifically asked her if it is the flag that is the problem. If she said yes, I would not have been very polite to her any more. If she said no, I may have cut her some slack, depending on her demeanor.

Finally, if she didn't drop it I would have had a chat with the manager and demanded to know the franchise number of that store. Complaints to "headquarters" via the net produce surpising results.

Having manners and being polite is one thing, being spineless and letting people walk all over you is another. Gotta take it on a case by case basis I guess. I prefer to keep a low profile when at all possible.